Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Firstly, we obviously aren't interested in Champ players because we can get promoted without buying them.

Secondly, yes Rafa wanted players like any manager does. But not managing to get the right ones doesn't mean Rafa is being screwed over.

I'm not saying he's been 'screwed over'. I just don't buy for one second that we failed to sign players purely for reasons out of our control - at best we've decided it's 'too expensive'. We've chose not to sign them and it's looking like the news coming out at the start of the window is true. Mike Ashley has form for this so I'm not sure why people find the concept so hard to believe.

From Caulkin:

Rafa has pushed for 2 additions and wanted them. That's of greater concern to me.

yeah, but Benitez hasn't been trying for what he would consider bad signings. I think he should have been backed.

I know because I've been told. Hopefully things will settle down - January is always a tense month.

(other bloke "I'm speculating that's the case. And that the "backing" would also have to come from MA. Not sure tbh.") has been an issue. Rafa has worked hard on transfers, permanents & loans. Anyway, let's see how next 24hrs plays out ...

(other bloke "any reason why we aren't just buying Townsend  now and saving ourselves £2m?") well I suppose the club would say that's an expensive outlay if they don't go up.

But aye, maybe I'm just a mentalist.

:lol: yous don't get it like. Benitez wanted at least a couple of players. He's went on record saying he wants a winger and a central midfielder. He hasn't gotten any of them (he may get 1 if Palace bring down their price or we cave and pay up - providing the reports are true).

We only have 2 Championship quality central midfielders, you kna, the league we're actually in? Lansbury (c*** aye) would be a massive improvement and cost Villa a few million.

If Rafa wasn't being backed then we'd never have signed Murphy or Gamez.

Rafa himself has stressed several times that he only wants to bring people in if they will improve the squad and be able to step up next season, the lack of signings is probably indicative of the fact that players are unwilling to drop into the Championship or are not available for sale.

It's quite a slow window this January anyway as is evidenced in the fact that 7 PL teams haven't made a single signing yet. Usually incomings mean outgoings, teams wont be willing to let players go unless they have a replacement ready to bring in. We're possibly struggling to buy because clubs cannot replace the players we want.

Rafa wouldn't be walking out at SJP on Wednesday if Ashley had gone back on his word and as Ian correctly said earlier, there is no point worrying over something that may never happen.

Well aye, but he said that when he thought he was getting players in. I'm pretty sure he'd rather have "bog-standard Championship midfielders" going into the later half of the season than basically nobody whenever Shelvey misses a game.

TBF I've just read Caulkin's timeline and he also says we might get Townsend still.

Anyway, nobody knows why we haven't made the signings and obviously with Ashley the fear will always be there. I just think we could be reading too much into this.

Also we've just had a transfer window where we did extremely well and overhauled the whole squad. That would suggest to me that our transfer team is working very well.

TBF I've just read Caulkin's timeline and he also says we might get Townsend still.

Anyway, nobody knows why we haven't made the signings and obviously with Ashley the fear will always be there. I just think we could be reading too much into this.

Also we've just had a transfer window where we did extremely well and overhauled the whole squad. That would suggest to me that our transfer team is working very well.

Ian you thought we were reading too much into it when Carver was put in charge. Time for you to fucking wake up, mate.

Ian you thought we were reading too much into it when Carver was put in charge. Time for you to fucking wake up, mate.

I wish I had total recall of all your historic opinions, you absolute dick. It should be easy because they'll all smug dismissals of someone else's point.

If your point is that nothing has changed at the club then I don't know why you're still even a fan.

I wish I had total recall of all your historic opinions, you absolute dick. It should be easy because they'll all smug dismissals of someone else's point.

If your point is that nothing has changed at the club then I don't know why you're still even a fan.

Tbf his boycott did last until we won at least a couple of games on the bounce.

It could be Ashley said nope no need to sign players because he's a cheap bastard, it could be that they were trying to get something done on a limited budget because of last seasons spend, relegation, summer spend etc and failed or the level of player that is wanted isn't really interested in moving to the championship for 6 months. Personally I'm more of the thinking if you can get the right kind of player like Townsend great but I'm not exactly going to be outraged if nowt happens. The squad as it is should be good enough for promotion.

:thup: For the bit in bold I pray the stories at the start of the window are false (or at-least exaggerated) and we haven't changed that policy. I just hope we don't fuck the Townsend deal up for the sake of £2m :lol: Theoretically he improves us so much like, I think we will sign him though and QPR will budge on their price.

Firstly, we obviously aren't interested in Champ players because we can get promoted without buying them.

Secondly, yes Rafa wanted players like any manager does. But not managing to get the right ones doesn't mean Rafa is being screwed over.

I'm not saying he's been 'screwed over'. I just don't buy for one second that we failed to sign players purely for reasons out of our control - at best we've decided it's 'too expensive'. We've chose not to sign them and it's looking like the news coming out at the start of the window is true. Mike Ashley has form for this so I'm not sure why people find the concept so hard to believe.

From Caulkin:

Rafa has pushed for 2 additions and wanted them. That's of greater concern to me.

yeah, but Benitez hasn't been trying for what he would consider bad signings. I think he should have been backed.

I know because I've been told. Hopefully things will settle down - January is always a tense month.

(other bloke "I'm speculating that's the case. And that the "backing" would also have to come from MA. Not sure tbh.") has been an issue. Rafa has worked hard on transfers, permanents & loans. Anyway, let's see how next 24hrs plays out ...

(other bloke "any reason why we aren't just buying Townsend  now and saving ourselves £2m?") well I suppose the club would say that's an expensive outlay if they don't go up.

In terms of the players that Rafa has targeted though, I think this is a bit unfair.

Cleverley - Went to a PL club

Cairney - Quoted £20 million

McCarthy - Not for sale according to Kenwright

Loftus-Cheek - Staying at Chelsea according to Conte

Delph - Looks like he'll be staying put at City

I get what you're saying, and if Townsend doesn't come off then I'll be inclined to agree with you, but our failure in the transfer market owes more to the type of player we're looking at than anything else. And there's little point in burdening Rafa with players that he doesn't rate, regardless of whether we're short in certain areas. 

Tbf his boycott did last until we won at least a couple of games on the bounce.

I know what I'd like to bounce, off a curb.

Aye, I've been to 3 games in 4 years. So fucking what? Rafa brought me back and he probably deserves better than having his transfer targets ignored by those above and the 'it'll be alreet if we just support tha team, man!!!' brigade.

From Caulkin:

Maybe the player himself wants a loan at this point. He can then hedge his bets, even if it's a loan with obligation to buy IF we get promoted, it's better for the player than sign now and we don't go up.

Would be the most Newcastle thing ever, in failing to invest and promotion blowing up in Ashley's' face. Even if we go up, does shrine seriously believe he will back Benitez? Rafa will walk as Ashley attempts survival on the cheap.

I'm amazed so many still haven't wised up when the bloke has owned the club for 9 years. He's a cunt and nothing will change that. He gets off on making or breaking our weekend. That's the truth of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we weren't talking about Mike Ashley's nufc I'd agree entirely.

If we weren't talking about Mike Ashley's nufc I'd agree entirely.

I can totally see that....hope it's not though. Rafa was my defence in all this type of stuff. I thought he'd be off straight away if Ashley strated up the crap again.

Rafa has a plan . He needs certain types , certain qualities in players to make that plan work , especially if we make the Premier league.  This season has shown how lacking we are in the right players so very careful investment is crucial. Rafa won't just accept any random token fingers crossed & hope for the best transfers , so it's probably harder to make things happen than it was with Alan , John & Stevie , who didn't have plans , so no " right fit " needed .

Rafa has a plan . He needs certain types , certain qualities in players to make that plan work , especially if we make the Premier league.  This season has shown how lacking we are in the right players so very careful investment is crucial. Rafa won't just accept any random token fingers crossed & hope for the best transfers , so it's probably harder to make things happen than it was with Alan , John & Stevie , who didn't have plans , so no " right fit " needed .

But he was given funds and had time to find the right players in the summer just gone ( for this season at least) I'm not saying he hasn't done partly well, Clark and Gayle and Ritchie have turned out to be great signings on the whole, but we went into the season lacking, and it should have been rectified in this window but hasn't.

Or seemingly hasn't unless something drastic happens tomorrow.

I think a deal for Townsend will go through at the last minute. Everyone's playing hardball, including the player I suspect, but it makes sense all round.

I think it'll happen too but if it doesn't and they've refused to pay a 2m loan fee offset against the known riches of the prem promotion would secure then I think this raises some serious questions moving forwards.