Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I really think Townsend coming here would be great for both him and us. I appear to rate him more than most people on here but I do see a lot of potential with him.

I don't really see how we need him other than off the bench? And why would we over-pay for someone to sit on our bench? I mean I'm all for depth, but Townsend at £14m is absolutely ridiculous. Rather give Thauvin a chance and put that money into improving at LB and getting someone like Berahino.

We aren't going to sign a new left back though. And personally I think it would help Dummett if Townsend were to be playing down that side ahead of him.

Our squad lacks a pacey, direct, out and out winger. Aarons and arguably Thauvin could become that player, but they are sure as hell not ready to be counted on from what we've seen and read so far.

Who do we have vying for the Left Wing spot at the moment? Perez (a central player), Gini (Better in the centre), Thauvin and Aarons. None of those options are good enough for me, and I'm talking about having a proper impact this season, not for the long term future.

Beginning to wonder about this one...its starting to drag on, never a good sign and reminds me a bit of the Remy deal which was hijacked by QPR. Also, the fact that the club have worked out a special training schedule for him indicates a lack of fitness and we need players to hit the ground running in the next 3 games...no room for passengers.

I really think Townsend coming here would be great for both him and us. I appear to rate him more than most people on here but I do see a lot of potential with him.

I don't really see how we need him other than off the bench? And why would we over-pay for someone to sit on our bench? I mean I'm all for depth, but Townsend at £14m is absolutely ridiculous. Rather give Thauvin a chance and put that money into improving at LB and getting someone like Berahino.

We aren't going to sign a new left back though. And personally I think it would help Dummett if Townsend were to be playing down that side ahead of him.

Our squad lacks a pacey, direct, out and out winger. Aarons and arguably Thauvin could become that player, but they are sure as hell not ready to be counted on from what we've seen and read so far.

Who do we have vying for the Left Wing spot at the moment? Perez (a central player), Gini (Better in the centre), Thauvin and Aarons. None of those options are good enough for me, and I'm talking about having a proper impact this season, not for the long term future.

For the money they're talking about i'm sure we could get someone better than Townsend tofill that role.

For the money they're talking about i'm sure we could get someone better than Townsend tofill that role.

he won't be inglish though, we need more of the right DNA in our teeeeam man

Yeah. Too often this season, Dummett's not had good options in front of him when he's on the ball, and he's ended up punting a diagonal ball across to a striker, cutting out the midfield. It's all very well for people to say he should be more enterprising, but if he's isolated and loses it, then we're in trouble.

I wouldn't want Townsend to hog the touchline, and he wouldn't be the only possible solution, but Gini as a wide player has always looked an awkward compromise.

Yeah. Too often this season, Dummett's not had good options in front of him when he's on the ball, and he's ended up punting a diagonal ball across to a striker, cutting out the midfield. It's all very well for people to say he should be more enterprising, but if he's isolated and loses it, then we're in trouble.

He has punted it 99% of the time when he's had someone next to him to pass it as well. Dummett is just not talented enough as a footballer so don't really think you can blame anyone else for his absolute inability to pass a decent ball or make a cross. Townsend won't really help him at all offensively, he'll still struggle because he's just not good enough at that aspect of the game. Only himself could improve that.

He has punted it 99% of the time when he's had someone next to him to pass it as well. Dummett is just not talented enough as a footballer so don't really think you can blame anyone else for his absolute inability to pass a decent ball or make a cross. Townsend won't really help him at all offensively, he'll still struggle because he's just not good enough at that aspect of the game. Only himself could improve that.

It's not as simple as that. It was noticeable on Saturday that, with the team attacking with more confidence as a whole, Dummett felt able to get forward more often and to good effect. Townsend will be an additional help in that process of removing the shackles.

Dummett's okay. It's tough for a young defender to find their feet in the Premiership, and I think there's more to come from him.

It's not as simple as that. It was noticeable on Saturday that, with the team attacking with more confidence as a whole, Dummett felt able to get forward more often and to good effect. Townsend will be an additional help in that process of removing the shackles.

Dummett's okay. It's tough for a young defender to find their feet in the Premiership, and I think there's more to come from him.

Well, I don't agree, but let's leave it a that.

NEWCASTLE UNITED remain confident of signing Andros Townsend before the weekend, and are hoping to persuade Tottenham officials to reverse their previous decision to reject the offer of a loan deal.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle/14215317.Newcastle_remain_confident_of_tying_up_Andros_Townsend_deal___with_loan_arrangement_back_on_the_table/

I'm not sure why it's seen as Xenophobic or wrong to want more English based players, or those with Premier League experience in the team. It's not rocket science to think that those players will have a more immediate impact than those from abroad who will need an adjustment period for the tempo and physicality.

Even someone with the sheer class of Wijnaldum has taken 4/5 months to adjust properly, we can't really afford that time period given our league position. And just because a player happens to be English doesn't automatically make him Jack Colback.

NEWCASTLE TO RETURN FOR TOWNSEND

Newcastle have had two offers turned down by Tottenham for Andros Townsend - one of a permanent transfer and another a loan.

However, according to Sky sources, the permanent offer was for £10.5m - still some way short of Spurs' valuation, which is reported to be £14m.

We do expect, though, that Newcastle will go back with a renewed bid for the England international.

I'm not sure why it's seen as Xenophobic or wrong to want more English based players, or those with Premier League experience in the team. It's not rocket science to think that those players will have a more immediate impact than those from abroad who will need an adjustment period for the tempo and physicality.

Even someone with the sheer class of Wijnaldum has taken 4/5 months to adjust properly, we can't really afford that time period given our league position. And just because a player happens to be English doesn't automatically make him Jack Colback.

I agree to some extent. We've spent good money on Thauvin and Cabella only for them to decide English football's too rough. I don't think it's necessary to buy English, but we do need to be scouting players abroad who are physically and mentally tough enough to cope with the pace of the game here. At least with English players you know what you are going to get even if they are overpriced.

I agree to some extent. We've spent good money on Thauvin and Cabella only for them to decide English football's too rough. I don't think it's necessary to buy English, but we do need to be scouting players abroad who are physically and mentally tough enough to cope with the pace of the game here. At least with English players you know what you are going to get even if they are overpriced.

"For them to decide"...

"For them to decide"...

All the reports I've read have suggested neither Cabella or Thauvin wanted to stay in England. Their performances haven't suggested any different either, although tbf to Cabella I did think he gave it a good go. Big difference with Ben Arfa who was forced out and was prepared to go to Hull to prove it.