Newcastle United 1-0 West Bromwich Albion - Post-match reaction from page 33

Disco

The fact that we just managed to win that game doesn't fill me with great optimism. West Brom had 0 shots on target and 7 off target. We had 7 on target and 19 shots overall. We make it so difficult for ourselves with our atrocious finishing. That game should have been won and safe in the first half. I'm no fan of McClaren but you can't blame him for our player's finishing.

Obviously this is the pattern this season: five terrible performances, then one decent one that keeps McClarens job. We've improved our squad, so let's hope it's enough to keep us up.

We have all the good intentions, but are just so fragile, feverish and nervous; basically all signs of a barely coached team. The thing that stood out today was how poor the oppositon were - classic Pulis side once they're safe, except they aren't yet...

That was one of the worst performances I've ever seen from a visiting team at SJP. They barely tried to cross the halfway line.

That said, we were very good and really the only thing that can be faulted is the finishing, which I think is a combination of poor skills and nerves.

Bottom line for me is assuming McClaren sees out the season we will likely have the chance to win almost every home game and look decent or good doing it and we will be terrible away from home and be lucky to pick up any points.

Tiote was a good choice. He clearly understands his job is just to tackle and make the easy pass. Was good old Cheick today.

Jonjo also great, couple of inch perfect passes and makes himself available.

It did help that Wba was really passive. They were awful side.

The fact that we just managed to win that game doesn't fill me with great optimism. West Brom had 0 shots on target and 7 off target. We had 7 on target and 19 shots overall. We make it so difficult for ourselves with our atrocious finishing. That game should have been won and safe in the first half. I'm no fan of McClaren but you can't blame him for our player's finishing.

Janmaat & Sissoko were through in the area about 5 times between them  :lol: Just seems to be a combination of movement & Sissoko not being able to hit a barn door. Sissoko should have scored atleast one today.

Doumbia will likely still be important for us. We wont create that many against other sides obviously & Mitro missed a sitter before his goal.

Thought Aarons and Taylor were excellent too. The only slightly disappointing one was Gini. Mitro being the focal point of our attack has to be the way to go. If we can get Doumbia to get behind him running the channels , we could hugely benefit.