sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Went a few drinks and a curry down Hilton road yesterday and the pure hatred for Newcastle in the heart of Sunderland has to be seen to be believed they only call us the scum and actually get more enjoyment seeing us lose than them winning

I did a fair bit of work there in the 90's when we were in our pomp under Keegan, as Sunlun city council were our biggest client. The amount of absolute hatred towards Newcastle on every single level (not just the football), and from seemingly every single resident of the place was a real eye opener.

I remember one time working in an accounts office in one of their places, and there was this woman, (probably in her 50's, decent job, well spoken, seemed reasonable enough etc.) chatting away to someone on the phone. Conversation went something along the lines of......'I'll shop at the Metrocentre, but never in Newcastle. Sunderland has much better shops, the people are nicer and there's less crime, loads of muggings in Newcastle all the time. Horrible place, never go there.'  That was definitely a theme though, even seemingly reasonable people have this absolute loathing bred into them from birth.

Went a few drinks and a curry down Hilton road yesterday and the pure hatred for Newcastle in the heart of Sunderland has to be seen to be believed they only call us the scum and actually get more enjoyment seeing us lose than them winning

I did a fair bit of work there in the 90's when we were in our pomp under Keegan, as Sunlun city council were our biggest client. The amount of absolute hatred towards Newcastle on every single level (not just the football), and from seemingly every single resident of the place was a real eye opener.

I remember one time working in an accounts office in one of their places, and there was this woman, (probably in her 50's, decent job, well spoken, seemed reasonable enough etc.) chatting away to someone on the phone. Conversation went something along the lines of......'I'll shop at the Metrocentre, but never in Newcastle. Sunderland has much better shops, the people are nicer and there's less crime, loads of muggings in Newcastle all the time. Horrible place, never go there.'  That was definitely a theme though, even seemingly reasonable people have this absolute loathing bred into them from birth.

As it happens more Sunderland residents shop at the Metrocentre than they do in Sunderland, infancy Washington has more people shopping there from Sunderland than in Sunderland.

Sunderland council were one of the councils who stopped the develoution deal from happening for the North East earlier this year. The reason was because they felt Newcastle would get most of the investment, they literally said no to more funding and powers because Newcastle would also get more funding. This whole mentality that Newcastle needs to lose for Sunderland to succeed and vica versa needs to stop. Having a poor Sunderland or indeed poor parts of Tyneside doesn’t help the North East. We both need to be raised out of the duldrums, out of poverty, out of unemployment. The more we fight each on these issues the longer we will both lose out on much needed investment.

As it happens more Sunderland residents shop at the Metrocentre than they do in Sunderland, infancy Washington has more people shopping there from Sunderland than in Sunderland.

Sunderland council were one of the councils who stopped the develoution deal from happening for the North East earlier this year. The reason was because they felt Newcastle would get most of the investment, they literally said no to more funding and powers because Newcastle would also get more funding. This whole mentality that Newcastle needs to lose for Sunderland to succeed and vica versa needs to stop. Having a poor Sunderland or indeed poor parts of Tyneside doesn’t help the North East. We both need to be raised out of the duldrums, out of poverty, out of unemployment. The more we fight each on these issues the longer we will both lose out on much needed investment.

Totally agree.

I remember the glee on RTG when Newcastle lost the European City of Culture bid to Liverpool. The more sensible among them were pointing out that it would have been of benefit to the whole area (jobs/investment etc.), but the general consensus was indeed 'fuck the mags'. Very odd folk them lot, although I have to point out, they are not all like that, and I have some very good Mackem friends/work colleagues.

Just wait until Jan when Short sells anything that isn't nailed down, including tangible assets, not just players.

He might just try and get rid of a few thousand pink seats. May as well. Not like anyone will be using them

I reckon you aren't far off the mark. Strong whispers the training facilities are already being used to cover debts, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see the ground go the same way.

The irony is that the Mackematics geniuses over at RTG are convinced that with the Pickford sale and the relegation induced wages cuts, that they are already reducing their debts by huge chunks.  Their resident retired accountant GrumpyOldMan keeps having to bring the voice of reason that they are still in Shit Creek financially. 

Why would he have to wait until January to sell things that aren't players?

Best thing to do would be to shift players, when they struggle again to shift high earners fucking around not putting the effort in then other avenues will be explored.