Martins on fire!

Dinho lad

Basically I want 15+goals from him this season in the premiership. Another 11 goals to go in 22 games.

Don't want much do you? :roll:

You think that's alot quite frankly I don't. A striker at Newcastle should be getting a goal every 2 games. I admit he has come to a different league but he has now found his feet now it's time to produce.

:lol:

The very best strikers in WORLD football have those kind of ratios. Fuck me.

This is Newcastle thought Dave! Its not like our last 1 in 2 striker cost a world record fee or anything!

Owen was pretty cheap, one third of the world record fee in fact.

Therefore, if 1 in 2 strikers are so cheap, we should have one playing for us right now.

As a side note to our ridiculous lack of a 1in2 goalscoring forward with brilliant linkup play, skill, and work rate, Martins is a young lad. He shouldnt be "expected" to produce consistently for at least another 2-3 years, let alone this season. Over the next 2-3 years, all we should be expecting from him is a gradual and slow improvement in his touch, linkup play, awareness/positioning, and shooting accuracy. Were not talking about going from average to amazing in these categories, just a reasonable improvement to levels that someone of his abilities should be able to get to.

If he manages only to improve his shooting accuracy during this period, then thats enough for me to justify his large fee, because overall hes still a dangerous player whos main fault is that hes consistently missing the target.

Basically I want 15+goals from him this season in the premiership. Another 11 goals to go in 22 games.

Don't want much do you? :roll:

You think that's alot quite frankly I don't. A striker at Newcastle should be getting a goal every 2 games. I admit he has come to a different league but he has now found his feet now it's time to produce.

:lol:

The very best strikers in WORLD football have those kind of ratios. Fuck me.

This is Newcastle thought Dave! Its not like our last 1 in 2 striker cost a world record fee or anything!

Owen was pretty cheap, one third of the world record fee in fact.

Therefore, if 1 in 2 strikers are so cheap, we should have one playing for us right now.

As a side note to our ridiculous lack of a 1in2 goalscoring forward with brilliant linkup play, skill, and work rate, Martins is a young lad. He shouldnt be "expected" to produce consistently for at least another 2-3 years, let alone this season. Over the next 2-3 years, all we should be expecting from him is a gradual and slow improvement in his touch, linkup play, awareness/positioning, and shooting accuracy. Were not talking about going from average to amazing in these categories, just a reasonable improvement to levels that someone of his abilities should be able to get to.

If he manages only to improve his shooting accuracy during this period, then thats enough for me to justify his large fee, because overall hes still a dangerous player whos main fault is that hes consistently missing the target.

Honestly forgot about Owen :oops: can you really blame me though?  :lol:

Post on though  :thup: Some people seem to be expecting the finished article! At £10m for a 21 year old they are living on a different planet!

Guest DONTOONER

Think i have said this before but Martin's future partner (Owen) probably has the best movement in the game! Im sure he can teach him a thing or two about where to be and how to get space from defenders.

Hmmmm i will not surprise if he is scoring frequently from now on.......you guys have been talking abt off te ball movement.

TBH that was his weakest attribute in the beginning and it is a great weakness for a striker that relys on pace.i was worried we bought a player with bags of pace and power but a no brainer.

However i think thats what he change recently....I am not sure if Roeder gave some advise or he adapted to it himself..

It is quite clear he is drifting more to the left. EXAMPLE: Emre's Goal he was drifting on the left, sibs on the right, or emre would not found enough space for the shot.

Blackburn today...he drifted left and lost his marker....credit to the linesman with his pace oba could have easily be mistaken offside.

The Red card incident he made himself free on the left again....and of course his 2nd goal at blackburn where he dirft to the left again and lost his marker from the middle.

i always luv Bellamy when he was here ...his intelligent running build up play and flair plus flare...if only he had a better personality. Oba is not the same type of player so i hope people wouldnt compare them but from what i have seen of him so far....His Powerful Runs and Leapts are quite a joy to watch.. hope he will rise to the ocassion and bring us where we deserved to be.

Martins and Owen will be the f***ing business. I'm tellin ya.

I agree but we'll need another big striker bought in January or at least in the summer.

Can't wait until we get more bodies in. Hopefully we'll get a few tall players as our squad ain't the tallest.

Top marks to the lads for a great away performance today, so glad for Oba :D

Guest Moe-Ali

Scored with his left AND his right again today. People say he isn't two footed but I havent seen many more comfortable to use both!

Took the penalty with his right, but his goal against levadia talinn was on his left...wierd. i think he is definately one of the most twofooted players ive seen.

Scored with his left AND his right again today. People say he isn't two footed but I havent seen many more comfortable to use both!

Took the penalty with his right, but his goal against levadia talinn was on his left...wierd. i think he is definately one of the most twofooted players ive seen.

Shows his confidence, I think he is left footed so to take a penalty when under a little pressure with your right!

Where's the fella that kept saying he was a sprinter in the wrong sport?

As said in the match thread, 10+ goals at the end of the season from him plus some more team play like he has been doing and its a very good first season for a young foreigner settling into the league.

Ginnamill wasn't it?

No wasn't Gemmill, cant remember who it was now. No doubt he wont pop up again until martins hits a poor spell!

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,32492.msg622197/topicseen.html#msg622197

To be fair Gemmil and NM posted that they have seen nothing to prove he is top four quality.  I don`t know who said the above.  I`m sure now he is up and running properly with an understanding of his teammates he will be top four quality.

Got a long way to go yet. really glad for him yesterday, my god is he ever quick its scary.

One down point is certainly his positioning, he still needs to learn to make the right runs, he backs off a bit when he should be forging forward into space at times and doesnt attack the penalty box as much as he should when balls are coming in.

He is certainly improving though and the goals will help that.

Where's the fella that kept saying he was a sprinter in the wrong sport?

As said in the match thread, 10+ goals at the end of the season from him plus some more team play like he has been doing and its a very good first season for a young foreigner settling into the league.

Ginnamill wasn't it?

No wasn't Gemmill, cant remember who it was now. No doubt he wont pop up again until martins hits a poor spell!

http://www.newcastle-online.com/nufcforum/index.php/topic,32492.msg622197/topicseen.html#msg622197

To be fair Gemmil and NM posted that they have seen nothing to prove he is top four quality.  I don`t know who said the above.  I`m sure now he is up and running properly with an understanding of his teammates he will be top four quality.

Nah someone was saying that Martins is just a runner, didn't have any footballing ability and was in the wrong sport.

They other two have made negative comments about the lad but they have been reasoned arguments and not just some complete bollocks instantly writing the lad off!

He is begining to step it up.

Now get owen mentoring him on making good runs into space. :)

I also feel he try's to hit the ball too hard on occasion. Maybe a bit more control on his shooting to guarentee they are on target?

C'mon Oba  :thup:

Best thing is he's still only 22, When Owen is back he'll learn hell of a lot off him about making runs and timing of the runs.

When Owen and Dyer are back in the side we'll have an awesome counter attack, Zoggy aint no slow coach either.

I`ve been day dreaming about our pace since we signed Duff and Martins. Add Owen and Dyer...fastest team in England maybe?

Best thing is he's still only 22, When Owen is back he'll learn hell of a lot off him about making runs and timing of the runs.

When Owen and Dyer are back in the side we'll have an awesome counter attack, Zoggy aint no slow coach either.

I`ve been day dreaming about our pace since we signed Duff and Martins. Add Owen and Dyer...fastest team in England maybe?

Get SWP on loan in Jan and we'll be unstoppable  :winking:

We do lack pace through the middle of the park though and in Defence.

Hopefully this will be the start of a hot streak, he seems to me a classic example of a confidence player. Took his goals yesterday very well and kept his composure brilliantly for his second. He made it look easier but there was hell of a lot of skill involved in that goal.

Guest Knightrider

The thing to remember with Martins is that he isn't an out and out goalscorer, he's someone who'll get around 10 goals a season and chip in with a few assists, he's suffered by not having an experienced striker to play off yet after a shaky start he's got better and better :thup:

Him and Owen will be electric as a strike partnership IMO.

If he is rather a supporting striker then I find his rather static play even more dubious tbh.  blueconfused.gif

Its his first season, he is constantly getting used to new partners and he is still young. He is showing more than enough potential at the moment.

All nice and fair, I give him that. Still no reason for his lack of mobility IMHO.

I think you mean the unsurety that he has when running off the ball, not his mobility. He is mobile as F***, just doesnt know which way to go. That is because he doesnt know what the other player is going to do. He will learn this. This is the truth tbh.

Couldn't agree more with you Chez. Martins is very mobile and buzzes about all over the place; right, left, deep and centrally. Although not so much inside the box where he kind of looks flat footed. He's impressing in small doses though and is clearly talented.

He's certainly dispelling a few of the knee-jerk reactions that followed his move and first few games where his pace, finishing and movement were being questioned. He's like shit off a shovel and the boy can finish. His movement is fine too, its his reactions to others' movement and positioning (especially inside the box) that is somewhat suspect.

Still, at 21, we can't expect the finished article.

Having saw him over a number of games now and in various differing situations and circumstances, I'm confident he won't be the flop some were asking as he's showed one or two things you need in this league; fight and strength. It took a bit of guts to take the penalty in midweek and it showed us lot how badly and perhaps anxious he is to be a success which is always a good sign.

The signs are good, although there is still lots of room for improvement.

Knee jerk tastic.

What you on about? Can't people give credit where its due anymore?

He has a thing about "knee jerk reactions" was on about us having a go at Blackburn's dirtiness yesterday too. :dontknow: :roll:

The thing to remember with Martins is that he isn't an out and out goalscorer, he's someone who'll get around 10 goals a season and chip in with a few assists, he's suffered by not having an experienced striker to play off yet after a shaky start he's got better and better :thup:

Him and Owen will be electric as a strike partnership IMO.

I know.  When bellamy was here and doing well, he wasnt scoring that often really.  He was contributing a fair few and creating them for his partner.

Owen would be the main scorer, with martins getting about 10 and helping owen

I agree but we'll need another big striker bought in January or at least in the summer.

Can't wait until we get more bodies in. Hopefully we'll get a few tall players as our squad ain't the tallest.

Top marks to the lads for a great away performance today, so glad for Oba 

Can we keep 3 such strikers happy?  Owen's class, martins needs games to build and he's not going to be dropped at 10.9 million.  Where does the new guy fit in?  I want a new striker, but preferably a young one that'll put up with sub appearances and replacing injured strikers (which wont be uncommon).

Martins and Owen will be the f***ing business. I'm tellin ya.

Top marks to the lads for a great away performance today, so glad for Oba :D

Agree - any small, quick striker sometimes needs a big guy who can hold the ball to take the weight off him.Defences will soon rumble that he is quick, and will get a quick centre-back to lay back to stop his runs, or someone will man-mark. With a big guy who is good in the air, they have more options to worry about. Remember how Shearer took much of the weight off Bellamy and created many of his goal chances - the Man City game at SJP(KKs return)springs to mind.

Was uncertain about Martins at first, but he IS making progress - long may it continue !

Guest DONTOONER

MArtins    Owen 

Duff                  Emre          Dyer

Butt/Parker

Omg .......the attacking line up is almost electric ....

Personally i think milner is going to progess into a class player....one of the best wing players on the right....

He is not a pacey player however his workrate his dribbling which has improved alot and his crossing...Nobby been giving him some  lessons HAs all improved ALOT. He is probably the player with the most assist atm ( not sure ) .

BUT i SAY WE Keep Him or we are going loose valuable player.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

I think Martins is a talented footballer; his football brain is alright too at least in open play, it's just when it comes to deadliness that he is a bit lacking. I think he will make an excellent partnership with Owen.