Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Best way for Rafa to argue for reinforcements is to show the top brass how shit we are with our 'squad depth' players on the field.

Should be a bit easier to get the likes of Townsend through now.

Think Rafa's playing a meta-game beyond simple Win/Loss and cup priority.

Best way for Rafa to argue for reinforcements is to show the top brass how shit we are with our 'squad depth' players on the field.

Should be a bit easier to get the likes of Townsend through now.

Think Rafa's playing a meta-game beyond simple Win/Loss and cup priority.

I don't like, I think hes realised we have issues within the team that he hasn't quite managed to sort out yet and wants his strongest players available, especially off the back of quite a poor run.

His cup selection is based more on fear of not achieving automatic promotion more than anything else.

If he is selecting certain weak teams in the hope of Ashley allocating transfer funds he certainly doesn't know his audience and it's the beginning of the end.

Getting knocked out of the cups is unlikely to help his argument given our board actively dislike cups and discourage doing well in them.

It's a bit of a no win for him, go through with a full side and risk extra games and injuries, or play a weakened side and hope they are good enough to get through. Given how little first team appearances those players have played this season demonstrates how highly Rafa rates them.

I think it's clear the aim is promotion at as little cost as possible.

Well I was one of them and it doesn't mean Rafa isn't doing a fantastic job.

Everyone can think what they like but this seam of negativity is baffling to me given the club is in the best position it's been in for well over a decade and Rafa is essentially the sole reason.

i don't think its negativity, just folk reacting to a defeat and trying to find out why. Rafa has us all behind him in truth, you know that.

Some of us realise that, but does Rafa? He's not been shown the love or had love for the local area like other popular managers we've had in the past (Robson, Keegan), I can see him thinking this job being an unthankful poison chalice the way things are going and never reaching the same connection with the club at this rate, and why? Because of some areas of the support moaning for very little reason and not getting behind him more. You sometimes hear people bang on about Newcastle fans being the best in the world, I think they're some of the most negative.

Everyone can think what they like but this seam of negativity is baffling to me given the club is in the best position it's been in for well over a decade and Rafa is essentially the sole reason.

i don't think its negativity, just folk reacting to a defeat and trying to find out why. Rafa has us all behind him in truth, you know that.

Some of us realise that, but does Rafa? He's not been shown the love or had love for the local area like other popular managers we've had in the past (Robson, Keegan), I can see him thinking this job being an unthankful poison chalice the way things are going and never reaching the same connection with the club at this rate, and why? Because of some areas of the support moaning for very little reason and not getting behind him more. You sometimes hear people bang on about Newcastle fans being the best in the world, I think they're some of the most negative.

So you thought being negative about people being negative would help things? Btw you need to get on twitter and have a go at shearer, don't let shit slide.

Robson and Keegan saved us and went quickly on to make us one of the best teams in the country.

How can you say Rafa hasn't been shown the love after the Spurs game last season?

How can you say Rafa hasn't been shown the love after the Spurs game last season?

Yeah, that was the last time I'd say, everything went flat over the summer and now people just take it for granted that he's here.

Yeah the very reason he is still here is the amount of affection shown to him :lol:

At the end of last season, hasn't been much since.

I honestly think he's been screwed over this window. He's said in every press conference that he wanted players in, how clear it was that we needed more balance and quality. And we're coming to the end of the window so far with nowt.

With the reports of Ashley's attempt at re-stamping his authority, I'm personally pretty worried for the summer if/when we go up.

Aye, I'm trying not to get too worried but the parallels to the window that finished Keegan off are there. I don't think Rafa would walk like, but the way he's spoke in interviews he won't be happy if we don't bring anyone in, he pretty much outright said he wanted a winger and a central midfielder.

Yesterday was s***- but not significant as there is far bigger business on the go this season. will be a different story next season, IF we are safe-ish and do the same thing. At that point it would suggest those above are telling him to bin off the cups.  This is my only fear now- that Rafas ambition is curtailed by Ashley.

Whatever happens, results wise, Ive made my mind up, that Rafa is by far our best hope, and Im going with his methods for as long as he is here and willing to try and make it work.

(reserve the right to bitch and moan after loses tho)

i think the most likely scenario is that rafa and the club have agreed to try and get promoted within a certain budget thus ensuring that we don't end up in the PL in august with a squad full of players we can't shift...this would be my reading of it personally; we want a couple of players in but want them to be of sufficient quality or loans for obvious reasons

if rafa thinks he can get there with what we've got and isn't agitating against the owner/charnley then i'm content to let him get on with it and keep my mouth shut

i know ashley has previous but it does seem highly unlikely to me he agreed a contract and strategy with rafa in may/june or whatever...everything is going exactly to plan and then he just decides to tear it up and hamstring our chances of promotion for no apparent reason

Agree  with this.

I honestly think he's been screwed over this window. He's said in every press conference that he wanted players in, how clear it was that we needed more balance and quality. And we're coming to the end of the window so far with nowt.

With the reports of Ashley's attempt at re-stamping his authority, I'm personally pretty worried for the summer if/when we go up.

:sadnod:

Still extremely surprised at how many people were so quick to dismiss that story in the Mirror, even after everything that's happened under Ashley's tenure.

Aye, if he walks it wont be now, he will see us back to the premier league then go if he does go, and sadly I can see it happening thanks to Ashley, I pray to god I'm wrong.

There's no way he stays for another 6 months or so if he really is "Being shafted."

There's a clear sliding scale of 'being shafted'. There is to the point where it makes his job untenable, and there is the point where some promises on transfers are compromised and lack of proactive ambition becomes apparent. If it is closer to the latter, it's certainly not beyond comprehension that he would stick it out until the end of the season for the fans and then reassess his options.

All I'm saying is really I'm surprised by the lack of concern in our (lack of) transfer activity, together with Rafa's press comments, the cup selection and the paper reports on Ashley - especially when you consider everything that has occurred in the last 10 years.

There's no way he stays for another 6 months or so if he really is "Being shafted."

Where did you get that from? :lol:

Anyway, the point is he may have been promised deferred funds for summer that will probably not materialise.

It's a concern but for once I can understand the reasons behind being frugal. He's only being shafted if he's been promised permanent signings but, on that note, I can remember him saying himself that we're looking at the loan market. Up to now it hasn't happened because we haven't been able to make a deal. I don't believe he is being shafted.

It'd be a shame and a medium-to-low risk if we didn't sign anyone, but Rafa seems cool enough and we still really ought to go up without.

I'm not that worried but I'm speaking purely in terms of this month. Summer is another matter.

It's a concern but for once I can understand the reasons behind being frugal. He's only being shafted if he's been promised permanent signings but, on that note, I can remember him saying himself that we're looking at the loan market. Up to now it hasn't happened because we haven't been able to make a deal. I don't believe he is being shafted.

It'd be a shame and a medium-to-low risk if we didn't sign anyone, but Rafa seems cool enough and we still really ought to go up without.

I'm not that worried but I'm speaking purely in terms of this month. Summer is another matter.

Agree with this like. Summer is another matter as Rafa wont want to be battling relegation, if we go up, when the likes of Schtevie got a £73m net spend to steer us towards the trap door.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was in the t+c's of the contract that funds would be released on premier league promotion.

:sadnod:

Still extremely surprised at how many people were so quick to dismiss that story in the Mirror, even after everything that's happened under Ashley's tenure.

Agree Dave....but not me - or you by the tone of your comment !

Aye, if he walks it wont be now, he will see us back to the premier league then go if he does go, and sadly I can see it happening thanks to Ashley, I pray to god I'm wrong.

This - don't think he'll walk until the end of the season but almost certainly will then unless he gets massive support in the summer window. Plenty of good clubs would grab him.....

Genuinely think I'd fully give up on the club if Rafa were to walk because of Ashley. Last time no one outside the club (and a lot of our supporters, in fairness) bothered to acknowledge Ashley's catastrophic policies- mainly because it was Pardew who was the manager in question- but this time I think it would be extremely obvious to all that the club is poisoned beyond help whilst the current ownership remains.

Last Championship season during the Jan. window we signed Leon Best for £2m and Fabrice Pancrate on a free. Was there anyone else?

Clear as day now that all Ashley's intentions consist of are getting us back onto the gravy train for as little as possible, before keeping us on that train for as little as possible. Actually makes me want to top myself thinking about it (the worst part though is knowing the apathy people would/will great Benitez's revolt with). 'We cannit compete man!'

Genuinely think I'd fully give up on the club if Rafa were to walk because of Ashley. Last time no one outside the club (and a lot of our supporters, in fairness) bothered to acknowledge Ashley's catastrophic policies- mainly because it was Pardew who was the manager in question- but this time I think it would be extremely obvious to all that the club is poisoned beyond help whilst the current ownership remains.

Last Championship season during the Jan. window we signed Leon Best for £2m and Fabrice Pancrate on a free. Was there anyone else?

Clear as day now that all Ashley's intentions consist of are getting us back onto the gravy train for as little as possible, before keeping us on that train for as little as possible. Actually makes me want to top myself thinking about it (the worst part though is knowing the apathy people would/will great Benitez's revolt with). 'We cannit compete man!'

Hall, Williamson, Routledge and Van Aanholt on loan.