Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

An excellent piece by Caulkin, as usual, but this will have the Mackems fewmin:

Money is not everything and the Premier League is not worthy of the hyperbole it generates, particularly in the bottom half

Haven't read the piece. And while all of that is true... the Championship is x100 worse.

The point he is trying to make is that being in the Premier League is not the only way to enjoy football.

I'm loving this season (barring a few bad results over christmas), because you go to a game (which 9 times out of 10 we actually compete in) and enjoy it for the most part. Something that does not happen in the PL, at least not for us in recent years. I would, genuinely, absolutely prefer to stay in the Championship and compete every week if someone tells me we are going to struggle to get out of the bottom 4 or 5 in the PL for the next few years. Life is short. Fill it with fun things. Losing is no fun.

funny that, i was watching the spurs chelsea game last night and it really struck me that we're almost playing a different game to them both in terms of quality like :lol:

it's going to be a long slog if we get back up imo, unless we literally go and spend £150m filling the squad up with better players and shipping out the garbage

We are comfortably more organised than Sunderland, Hull and Swansea. Yes we would need to spend,in order to compete any higher than that, but it's a fine margin from 6th to about 16th.

Like Rafa said, let's just do things right, other clubs will make mistakes.

Money is not everything and the Premier League is not worthy of the hyperbole it generates, particularly in the bottom half

Haven't read the piece. And while all of that is true... the Championship is x100 worse.

The point he is trying to make is that being in the Premier League is not the only way to enjoy football.

I'm loving this season (barring a few bad results over christmas), because you go to a game (which 9 times out of 10 we actually compete in) and enjoy it for the most part. Something that does not happen in the PL, at least not for us in recent years. I would, genuinely, absolutely prefer to stay in the Championship and compete every week if someone tells me we are going to struggle to get out of the bottom 4 or 5 in the PL for the next few years. Life is short. Fill it with fun things. Losing is no fun.

I get that... but nah. Being 5th/12th in the Championship each season would kill me.

Brilliant article.

To Hans, in particular, and everybody who believe other's are over-reacting to our blip, I apologise.

I felt you were over-reacting to others over-reactions, but I see your side now.

The over reaction of fans can be just as damaging to this club as any run of bad form. We are a powerful voice, which is wonderful when in high spirits, but can turn venomous in bad times.

Pardew, Carver, and to a lesser extent McClaren are all lesser men because of our passion, and justifiably so. But that venom directed at Sir Bobby, by  a minority, was unforgiveable, and I would hate to see the same thing happen to Rafa.

Rafa can turn our form around, no doubt. But can we as fans turn the club back around, if Rafa decides his connection to the club isn't as strong as Bobby's was?

funny that, i was watching the spurs chelsea game last night and it really struck me that we're almost playing a different game to them both in terms of quality like :lol:

it's going to be a long slog if we get back up imo, unless we literally go and spend £150m filling the squad up with better players and shipping out the garbage

O0 same. What a game of football. We look a long way off the pace, by comparison.  (Did enjoy tanking Spurs last PL game though).

We are comfortably more organised than Sunderland, Hull and Swansea. Yes we would need to spend,in order to compete any higher than that, but it's a fine margin from 6th to about 16th.

Comfortably more organised than Hull who we failed to beat in the league cup?

We'll be a lot better next season if we go up than the side that probably should have beaten Hull in the cup.

It's like literally 3 posts above yours. Why not just read it?

Brilliant article.

To Hans, in particular, and everybody who believe other's are over-reacting to our blip, I apologise.

I felt you were over-reacting to others over-reactions, but I see your side now.

The over reaction of fans can be just as damaging to this club as any run of bad form. We are a powerful voice, which is wonderful when in high spirits, but can turn venomous in bad times.

Pardew, Carver, and to a lesser extent McClaren are all lesser men because of our passion, and justifiably so. But that venom directed at Sir Bobby, by  a minority, was unforgiveable, and I would hate to see the same thing happen to Rafa.

Rafa can turn our form around, no doubt. But can we as fans turn the club back around, if Rafa decides his connection to the club isn't as strong as Bobby's was?

It happened during the Pardew years too on here, which is why some may react too harshly at times. The need 'to bring balance' to the debate happened a lot back then and negated slightly what should have been utter contempt for the manager. I suppose the opposite is happening now, where we've went from letting nothing slide to letting everything slide - back then knowing that the manager wasn't right but this time knowing he is. Caulkin again smashes it out the park.

Aye, Hull were organised like. We controlled the game but, like Blackburn, they limited our chances well.

I've decided because I gave Pardew too much time I'm duty bound to hound Rafa out now. Cover my bases.

:lol:

Absolutely fantastic article by Caulkin. Fill you with pride type of stuff - it's surely a test for Rafa to steer us back on course, but if there's anybody out there to do it and set us straight for the rest of the season and beyond, it's our manager.

Aye, Hull were organised like. We controlled the game but, like Blackburn, they limited our chances well.

we were literally 1 Sels mistake away from winning that match, ffs. :lol:

It would have been a draw anyhow.

So Hull weren't organised and didn't limit our chances? They defended well the whole game, we were probably the better side and the conditions helped them I thought, but I don't think we looked comfortably more organised than them.

So Hull weren't organised and didn't limit our chances? They defended well the whole game, we were probably the better side and the conditions helped them I thought, but I don't think we looked comfortably more organised than them.

I would say we matched them for organisation, except after we scored. Naivety cost us, but we did ourselves proud. As a championship team going out in the quarter finals to a Prem club, we shouldn't be disappointed in that performance.

The key thing is Rafa didn't do a dance on the touchline when we scored. He knows.

Maybe I'm just not remembering it correctly, but I felt in the first half we looked in absolute complete control of the match, and looked the side far better organized and looked the likely winner but not exactly putting in killer ball or taking the chances (ie: our usual issues). But if i'm off the mark, I'm not going to waste space and argue over it :lol:

we were literally 1 Sels mistake away from winning that match, ffs. [emoji38]

I would say we matched them for organisation, except after we scored. Naivety cost us, but we did ourselves proud. As a championship team going out in the quarter finals to a Prem club, we shouldn't be disappointed in that performance.

The key thing is Rafa didn't do a dance on the touchline when we scored. He knows.

We should be beating Hull IMO. They finished 4th in the Championship last season, didn't improve their team and sold one of their best players to us

Rafa Benitez says there’s NO panic at Newcastle United after the club lost top spot in the Championship. Benitez’s side trail league leaders Brighton and Hove Albion by two points after losing two of their last three games.Newcastle take a break from the league tomorrow with an FA Cup third round tie against Birmingham City. Benitez is confident his team can quickly put Monday’s frustrating defeat to Blackburn Rovers behind them at St Andrew’s ahead of a Championship fixture against Brentford on Monday week.

And United’s manager is adamant that he has NOT been concerned with recent performances, with the exception of the poor showing against Sheffield Wednesday in the 1-0 defeat at St James’s Park on Boxing Day.“From day one, we have done lots of things, and everybody was very happy was that,” said Benitez.“We have to keep doing that, because obviously we have been good.“You can criticise the results, yes, but look at the performances. That is the main thing. If we are doing things properly then eventually we will win more games than we lose.” Supporters feel Newcastle lack creativity without suspended midfielder Jonjo Shelvey, who still has two games of his five-match ban to serve.Asked about the reaction to the Blackburn defeat, Benitez added: “The Championship is very difficult.“How difficult is it to get promoted? How difficult is it to go down and then come up again in the first year?“You see the other teams that were relegated. I think we are in a very good position. “Brighton are doing fantastic. But how much money have they spent in the last few years?“How many times have they been in the play-offs? Do they have experience in this league? Yes.“We are doing really well for a team that has been relegated and needs to change a lot of things like the mentality and a lot of things in the way we do business.“We are fine. Still we are only halfway through the season, and I think we will get better.“We have experience and we know how difficult the Championship is and we have to do the right things every single game. “We know they way. And we will do it.”Meanwhile, forward Ayoze Perez will miss the Birmingham cup tie with a calf injury.Benitez said: “We are quite good in terms of injuries. Ayoze has a problem in his calf, but it isn’t serious and we don’t want to take any risks.“We have plenty of solutions.”

Brighton are buying the league.

Not sure that's what he said tbf. He just means that Brighton come from a position of relative stability in their quest to gain promotion, whereas NUFC has just been relegated, and is attempting to go back straight back up having overhauled an entire playing squad and coaching staff, add to that the rotten mediocrity that had set in....