Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Like I said in the transfers thread, no manager should have a player forced on him but no manager should demand playrplayers, whatever the cost. A compromise needs to be reached, which ultimately comes down to their relationship.

I'll see if I can dig it out, but somewhere there's a great read about how Rafa approaches transfers. He tries to watch highlights of every single major league match in Europe. He rings people around Europe constantly to talk about players. Then he'll hand the person responsible a list of his targets, with several alternatives and options in case a deal can't be done. He does a separate list for younger players who won't be ready for the first team yet, or academy. He'll also alert people when he gets the nod someone is available so they can get in early and he expects the preparatory work to be done well in advance. But he'll also fully understand when a player is overvalued and doesn't expect a deal at any cost. He's generally good for business - he improves players and they can be sold on for better money, even squad players - which should please your owner.

TheDonis NO's Rafa Benitez expert.

Hoping there's no swerve on this.

Rafa's way out of our league, man, and Lpool fans have been there and still love him. We're so lucky. Mrs is dragging me down there over Easter, so transpiculatory meets are possible.

Sick of hearing this s****. We lost something like 20 players since he came in, he wasnt building a team he building an entire squad.

Exactly and he wasn't building for the Premiership, he was building to get us out of the league that we're in and he looks like achieving that.

Don't have the the exact number but sure it was around 25 that left. 50 million to rebuild that and be certainties to go up if nothing to be scoffed at.

Yet 7 of the 11 started today were here last season.  Tells me the core of the squad that got us down are going to get is up.

Clark, Yedlin and Hayden would have started had they been fit. Lascelles and Darlow barely featured before Rafa came in. Gouffran was as good as gone before Rafa, and Shelvey was a shadow of the player he is now. Anita had very limited amounts of appearances at right back.

Our player of the season award is going to go to Clark, Shelvey, Ritchie or Gayle. Three out of four are Rafa signings.

TheDonis NO's Rafa Benitez expert.

Hoping there's no swerve on this.

Rafa's way out of our league, man, and Lpool fans have been there and still love him. We're so lucky. Mrs is dragging me down there over Easter, so transpiculatory meets are possible.

transpi-what the fuck-culatory  :icon_scratch:

Take out any one of Gayle, Ritchie and Clark and I dread to think where we'd be in the league, tbh.

You've got to put Shelvey in that list as well, like. He's frustrated us and he's been a bit of a liability of course, but he's still been vital on the whole. Particularly in that run of 9 league wins - he was massive for us during that spell, looked like he could've played with his slippers on.

Can't believe this is even an argument. We've basically been in the top 2 all season and when you look at some of the players we have in our XI that level of consistency is impressive. And we've always won the games that it was most important to win.

I'm still not sure if Rafa's an absolute genius by getting us into this position with this squad, or if he's got the squad under-performing because of his safety first, percentage play tactics?  :icon_scratch:

I reckon you will see 3 or 4 key players bought and put into key positions within his preferred formation over the summer and we will be comfortably mid-table next year. Like 12th / 13th with no signs of relegation.

I'm not fussed that we keep this formation and drill it in with the existing players. I get the impression some people are more concerned with being entertained than with us winning...each to their own I guess.

He has done fantastic with the club, that is the most important thing. He's changed the feeling around the club and got everyone on side and pushing for the same things. Or at least everyone below him. I think another manager might have had us playing more exciting football but arguably not as successful. The big difference will be next year we will be difficult to beat.

I reckon you will see 3 or 4 key players bought and put into key positions within his preferred formation over the summer and we will be comfortably mid-table next year. Like 12th / 13th with no signs of relegation.

I'm not fussed that we keep this formation and drill it in with the existing players. I get the impression some people are more concerned with being entertained than with us winning...each to their own I guess.

He has done fantastic with the club, that is the most important thing. He's changed the feeling around the club and got everyone on side and pushing for the same things. Or at least everyone below him. I think another manager might have had us playing more exciting football but arguably not as successful. The big difference will be next year we will be difficult to beat.

I don't think there's much wrong with his formation, but I'm really interested to see how we look with players who can do it properly. Liverpool might not have been playing exhilarating stuff when he was there, but the football was pretty good from what I remember. I can't wait to see what changes he makes in those key positions to make it work better.

Guest neesy111

I don't think there's much wrong with his formation, but I'm really interested to see how we look with players who can do it properly. Liverpool might not have been playing exhilarating stuff when he was there, but the football was pretty good from what I remember. I can't wait to see what changes he makes in those key positions to make it work better.

Soon as they signed Torres their football was great.

He was instrumental to how they played. Can't wait to see who Rafa will go for to try and replicate that. Very big ask.

Guest neesy111

He was instrumental to how they played. Can't wait to see who Rafa will go for to try and replicate that. Very big ask.

Yeah, i see the striker role as a critical one.  Would love for us to go out and spend £30m on a striker but can't see it happening.

This is why i would sell mitrovic as the funds for that transfer could go a long way for the 1 top quality striker we need.

I'm still not sure if Rafa's an absolute genius by getting us into this position with this squad, or if he's got the squad under-performing because of his safety first, percentage play tactics?  :icon_scratch:

it is a strange one because then you look at the stats as see we've scored the most goals in the championship and have the best goal difference.

Yeah, i see the striker role as a critical one.  Would love for us to go out and spend £30m on a striker but can't see it happening.

This is why i would sell mitrovic as the funds for that transfer could go a long way for the 1 top quality striker we need.

Agree would sell Mitro as well to help add to the funds for 1 top quality ST

It's harsh on Gayle after what he's done this season mind.

Gayle will still score goals but he's a long way from what Torres was for Liverpool. He's more of a poacher, Torres could lead the line much better.