Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Nice post Paully. Puts it in context. 5 fewer goals scored and 2 points less. Funny how the outcome skews your memory of the whole season.

Just had a look at who signed when, and Keegan signed Rob Lee just after the season started (towards end of Sep 1992: 36 starts, 10 goals) who was a fucking colossus that year. Only other signings were in March (about 13 games left): Mark Robinson (2 starts), Sellars (13 starts, 2 goals) and a young chap named Cole (11 starts 12 goals!).

Points comparisons across different seasons in general are fairly pointless like. Irritating how much it comes up recently.

Agreed. Especially as pre Keegan we were on a fair way down the road to oblivion, not a Premier league team looking for an instant return to the top tier.

Guest neesy111

Didn't we win our first 10 games in a row under Keegan? Maybe I remember it wrong but it felt like promotion was a formality that season.

Didn't we win our first 10 games in a row under Keegan? Maybe I remember it wrong but it felt like promotion was a formality that season.

Promotion was always pretty comfortable but in terms of the title, despite that rip roaring start, for a 24 hour period around April (the weekend when we beat Sunderland at home I think), Portsmouth overtook us and went top of the league.

Lots of things matter, to some degree, hence all the frigging moaning (myself included, btw), but promotion is obviously the main objective. I was generally surprised at how little difference there was between the 1992-93 results ('exciting' KK team) and 2016-17 results ('boring' Rafa team). It's a bit like how  KK's 1995-96 side being defensively frail has become a commonly accepted truth, but they only conceded 2 goals less than Man U (who actually scored 7 more league goals than us). What mainly made the difference that season (imo) wasn't the absence of a defence/tactical naïveté, Asprilla or Batty or anybody else spoiling our style of play, it was our only home loss (we had one draw as well): after battering Man U 0-1. If we'd won, as we clearly deserved to, everything else being equal we'd have had 81 points to their 79. Long time ago, I know, but I can't let it lie... sorry.

Lots of things matter, to some degree, hence all the frigging moaning (myself included, btw), but promotion is obviously the main objective. I was generally surprised at how little difference there was between the 1992-93 results ('exciting' KK team) and 2016-17 results ('boring' Rafa team). It's a bit like how  KK's 1995-96 side being defensively frail has become a commonly accepted truth, but they only conceded 2 goals less than Man U (who actually scored 7 more league goals than us). What mainly made the difference that season (imo) wasn't the absence of a defence/tactical naïveté, Asprilla or Batty or anybody else spoiling our style of play, it was our only home loss (we had one draw as well): after battering Man U 0-1. If we'd won, as we clearly deserved to, everything else being equal we'd have had 81 points to their 79. Long time ago, I know, but I can't let it lie... sorry.

I'm with you. Im still gutted.

Just been on SSN and said he is very surprised with the referee appointment on Monday and said the target was promotion this season so he isn't unhappy if we don't win the league - he also congratulated Hughton and Brighton on gaining promotion!

I wish he hadn't mentioned the referee. It suggests that they are nervous and focusing on the wrong aspects on the match :undecided:

Mind games that man - he's just letting the ref know albeit he'll already be aware!

I wish he hadn't mentioned the referee. It suggests that they are nervous and focusing on the wrong aspects on the match :undecided:

Mind games that man - he's just letting the ref know albeit he'll already be aware!

I'd assume he was asked, no? ???

I'd assume he was asked, no? ???

Oh aye!

Obviously. It's what Fergie did all the time, make the ref aware that his decisions would be watched like a hawk.

Isn't Rafa on about the refs quite a lot in a roundabout way? Seems that way to me, or at the very least he's not one of these managers who'll go out of their way not to mention when a ref has been utter shite.