Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I wish he hadn't mentioned the referee. It suggests that they are nervous and focusing on the wrong aspects on the match :undecided:

Isn't Rafa on about the refs quite a lot in a roundabout way? Seems that way to me, or at the very least he's not one of these managers who'll go out of their way not to mention when a ref has been utter shite.

To be honest, I haven't heard the specific question and answer to I could well be mis-interpreting the tone.

I've just really want this referee to be irrelevant to us on Monday and for us to just go out and smash Preston.

I wish he hadn't mentioned the referee. It suggests that they are nervous and focusing on the wrong aspects on the match :undecided:

Isn't Rafa on about the refs quite a lot in a roundabout way? Seems that way to me, or at the very least he's not one of these managers who'll go out of their way not to mention when a ref has been utter shite.

To be honest, I haven't heard the specific question and answer to I could well be mis-interpreting the tone.

I've just really want this referee to be irrelevant to us on Monday and for us to just go out and smash Preston.

Take what he said after the Leeds game though. Obvious penalty denied, 5 mins injury time for nowt and he just kept repeating i don't understand or whatever it was so as not to get charged. Always seem to recall Rafa on about refs but for me it's not a narky Fergie thing or mind games I just think like players when they fail to meet his standards he won't accept it.

“Every year the transfer window, when it is open, it is quite busy,” “In this case, for a team who are relegated, you also have a problem.”

“The players, they have a short memory of the Premier League. You think you cannot bring players who are not ‘good enough’ for the Premier League.”

“Then you start making the mistake of trying to sign ‘names’, because we are coming from the Premier League.”

“You don’t realise that the Championship is so difficult, that’s why you have to bring in players for the Championship.”

“Then, after, you can get players good enough for the Premier League.” “Normally when you go to a club that has been relegated, it’s because something was wrong, quite wrong.”

“Then you have to work even harder.”

“Look at the other teams. Why over the last five years teams who were relegated they don’t promote in the first season?”

“Because maybe it’s not the right approach, so you have to be sure that in a division like this one with 46 games and it is so difficult, you have to be ready.”

“Then afterwards, you can think about the future.” “But the present is the priority.”

“When you have to bring new players in, they have to be right.” “You also have to sell your players at the best price possible.”

“Then, sometimes you make mistakes.” “Always I say 70% success in the signings is really, really good.”

“If you can get 80%, it’s massive.” “When you have a couple of mistakes, it’s normal because you are signing lots of players.”

“But also the main thing is to sell well and I think we did a great job in the summer.” “It was a great job because we had profit and new faces.”

“If you asked the fans which players they didn’t want, then maybe they will say: ‘Listen, he’s done a great job this season.’”

“The majority of fans will agree with this player, this player, another one.” “We made profit and we bought players.”

“Some of the players we brought in are starters and are doing really well.” “In fact, some of the signings are actually the best players of this season.”

“It means we have done something right.” “Still we know we have made mistakes, we are not stupid.

“But you have to put everything in context and after you can analyse.”

:thup:

Love this wise man.

I think Hanley has been fine for a back-up defender.

I think Rafa's success rate is closer to 50% than the 70% he deems as a good window.  Which is why we're in 2nd and were desperate to sign players in January.

Clark, Hayden and Gayle have been top notch.

And Ritchie :thup:

Hanley and Murphy are in the decent pile.

6 signings that have worked out versus 5 failures.  Until someone reminds me of who I've missed.

Wonder who his "mistakes", were.

Lazaar, Gamez, Selz and Atsu.

Hanley.

I'd only really say Lazaar and Sels tbh. Sels was just garbage, Lazaar just hasn't featured so something isn't right. Gamez has been injured, so its hard to judge, Atsu while poor when starting has contributed this season, and Hanley has done a job when he's came in.

Guest neesy111

Lazaar, Gamez, Selz and Atsu.

Hanley.

I'd only really say Lazaar and Sels tbh. Sels was just garbage, Lazaar just hasn't featured so something isn't right. Gamez has been injured, so its hard to judge, Atsu while poor when starting has contributed this season, and Hanley has done a job when he's came in.

Gamez has been fit for 2 months now.

You could probably argue that Diame and Atsu have done a job of sorts for us, but neither have been an amazing success.  They're below expectation but have probably contributed a similar amount to Hanley and Murphy.

June 2016 Matz Sels Gent £5m tbc Mistake

July 2016 Dwight Gayle Crystal Palace £10m tbc Success

July 2016 Matt Ritchie Bournemouth £12m tbc Success

July 2016 Jesus Gamez Atletico Madrid Free tbc Mistake

July 2016 Isaac Hayden Arsenal £4m tbc Success

July 2016 Grant Hanley Blackburn Rovers £5.5m Ok

Aug 2016 Ciaran Clark Aston Villa £5m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Mohamed Diame Hull City £5m tbc Ok

Aug 2016 DeAndre Yedlin Spurs £5m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Daryl Murphy Ipswich Town £3m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Achraf Lazaar Palermo £3m tbc Mistake

Aug 2016 Christian Atsu Chelsea Loan Ok

June 2016 Matz Sels Gent £5m tbc Mistake

July 2016 Dwight Gayle Crystal Palace £10m tbc Success

July 2016 Matt Ritchie Bournemouth £12m tbc Success

July 2016 Jesus Gamez Atletico Madrid Free tbc Mistake

July 2016 Isaac Hayden Arsenal £4m tbc Success

July 2016 Grant Hanley Blackburn Rovers £5.5m Ok

Aug 2016 Ciaran Clark Aston Villa £5m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Mohamed Diame Hull City £5m tbc Ok

Aug 2016 DeAndre Yedlin Spurs £5m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Daryl Murphy Ipswich Town £3m tbc Success

Aug 2016 Achraf Lazaar Palermo £3m tbc Mistake

Aug 2016 Christian Atsu Chelsea Loan Ok

Yeah, this is about right :thup:

It was Yedlin who I'd forgotten.  We signed so many players :lol:

Guest neesy111

Hanley for me has been mainly fine, just form of Clark has kept him out as Lascelles can't be dropped too often.

Sels, Gamez & Lazaar (as we've seen nothing from them really), i reckon Diame has been quite poor although has scored a couple of goals just seems clumsy (bit of a poor mans shola)

Ritchie, Gayle & Clark have been the best signings he's made

Hanley, Hayden, Murphy, Atsu - good squad players nothing more than that

Sels, Gamez & Lazaar (as we've seen nothing from them really), i reckon Diame has been quite poor although has scored a couple of goals just seems clumsy (bit of a poor mans shola)

Ritchie, Gayle & Clark have been the best signings he's made

Hanley, Hayden, Murphy, Atsu - good squad players nothing more than that

Sorry forgot Yedlin - he has been a good signing as well