Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez is set to be handed a significant summer war chest to rebuild for life in the Premier League after productive talks with owner Mike Ashley.

The two men, along with managing director Lee Charnley, met at a secret location on Tuesday to discuss the way forward in the wake of the club’s promotion back to the top flight, and fears that the Spaniard could walk away from the club less than 12 months after signing a three-year contract appear to have been allayed.

In a statement released on Wednesday evening, Ashley said: “I’ve confirmed to Rafa and Lee that they can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means in order to build for next season.

The way I see is that once all the overheads are payed then Rafa can have what's left. This won't be just for transfers though, this will be for the new training ground facilities, back room staff, academy improvements etc. It basically means Charnley is there to look after the books and everything else is controlled by Rafa. If Ashley is doing this then there is going to be serious targets for Rafa to meet, and I would think one of those is going to be a tophie and a either a top 4 challenge, or a title challenge all within the next few years.

I see this as good news, but it also means Rafa has set his own bar high and he is going to have to deal with consequences should he not meet them.

Mike Ashley statement on Rafa say he: "can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means"

That makes no sense.  Club costs need paying for.

That's what I was confused about. Sounds like we're getting f*** all unless we sell players.

:lol: I assume he's talking about the net figure like. Should be a decent amount as i imagine our wage bill should be quite small. Who can be on any money?

Ritchie, Krul, Shelvey, Colback maybe, Gayle maybe, Diame maybe, Mitrovic maybe. Can't see anyone else who is likely to be on over 40K a year.

to be honest, the more you think about it, the more the statement just means that we're going to be ran like an actual football club for once :lol:

This is exactly it.  Rafa doesn't commit otherwise.

Mike Ashley statement on Rafa say he: "can have every last penny that the club generates through promotion, player sales and other means"

That makes no sense.  Club costs need paying for.

That's what I was confused about. Sounds like we're getting fuck all unless we sell players.

We have nobody to sell. :lol:

We've got about 100 players out on loan. All-in we should be looking at something in the region of 10, maybe 20k.

its the best outcome imo. hes going to leave it to Rafa and Charnley- he wont take anything out- or pump cash in. but tbh  Im happy with that, the clubs needs run on sensible finances. As long as it as allowed to be as ambitious as it can within that structure.

Fuck it, if we can't be positive at a time like this then we might as well all pack in.

Absolutely delighted!

:promotion:

:pilko:

It's the same old same old :lol: Promises don't mean anything to a bipolar shitcunt like wor Mike.

Sure, it's positive news, but I'm certainly not throwing out animated promotion emojis willy-nilly.

f*** it, if we can't be positive at a time like this then we might as well all pack in.

Absolutely delighted!

:promotion:

:pilko:

It's the same old same old :lol: Promises don't mean anything to a bipolar shitcunt like wor Mike.

Sure, it's positive news, but I'm certainly not throwing out animated promotion emojis willy-nilly.

If that was the case there's no way Rafa would stay imo.

What fantastic news this is.

Obviously none of us know what funds Rafa will be given but the most iomportant thing is Rafa is happy to stay here and take us forward.

Brilliant.

Echoing what everyone else has said, fantastic news. :thup:

The fact that we're celebrating seemingly being run like an actual football club shows what we've had to endure under Ashley but it is what it is. :lol: