Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

I think hanging on every word he says is unnecessary paranoia.

It is what it is. We need to enjoy it while he is here and do what he's pleading the fans to do every time he speaks in public; support the team, stick together.

It will actually increase the pull for him to stay if he sees a loyal connection between fans and team.

It's either this situation with Rafa or a yes-man who accepts low fee gambles from France and doesn't get any targets he personally wants?

Rafa's politics win hands down lets all be honest.

so basically he's confirming what we sort of knew; that there were some deals (abraham & caballero presumably) that could have been done quickly and reasonably but for whatever reason the club pissed about and since then prices have gone absolutely mental and he acknowledges that fully

Yep, also insinuating that he's been lied to as I remember him saying clearly that we needed to act quickly in the market (even before the window) opens to get some additions in as the longer you go on, the more desperate we look and teams will look to exploit. Fat Mike and his cronies obviously know better than a world-class football manager, though.

Not sure if this is a 2 day event but Rafa is coming on TalkSport shortly from the PL Launch and it sounds like the show is live. Wether you'll garner much new I'm not so sure but he's clearly already briefed them as the presenters made a point in saying in the introduction they'd spoke off air and he was frustrated how slow we were moving with transfers particularly at the start of the window.

He's in a win-win situation here like very few top class managers are in. He's on top money, he's loved, he's brilliant, if he does well then it further cements his status as a world class manager, if not, then it's because of the resources compared to other clubs. He'll be very aware of this too, he'd be mad to go.

He's in a win-win situation here like very few top class managers are in. He's on top money, he's loved, he's brilliant, if he does well then it further cements his status as a world class manager, if not, then it's because of the resources compared to other clubs. He'll be very aware of this too, he'd be mad to go.

Except if he could get a job where he's actually allowed to compete.

(Or we release more money after we stay up)

Unless he's one of those weird top managers who wants to win things?

He's been there and done that. He's got a project here. We're more than capable of a safe season and then to build as the income increases.

As long as we actually release more money I do agree we'll be OK. It's possible, you can just never expect anything under Ashley. My head is telling me a Benitez exit next summer is the most likely outcome.

Unless he's one of those weird top managers who wants to win things?

He's been there and done that. He's got a project here. We're more than capable of a safe season and then to build as the income increases.

this is my feeling, hopefully as long as he feels things are progressing at an acceptbale rate he'll be cool

Nothing new really. Ashley technically not the problem as money agreed available. Sounds like Penfold and possibly the inclusion of Justin Barnes to the process slowed things down at the beginning of the window and we are paying the price now.

Asked about where his relationship is with Ashley. Said they've met twice (presumably since the season ended) and despite reports about £70m to spend no figures were mentioned.

Seemed up beat with the usual caveats. Obviously hasn't given up the ghost but the window is still open. It will come down to what we've got in once the window is shut. Says we made a couple of 'mistakes' in the market early days...The feeling I get is that he is hoping the management will go the the extra mile and he is doing everything possible to encourage that.

Personally think that the purse strings are quite tight and it's more than 'mistakes'. Ashley and Co are balking at the full package when it comes to signing good players and that will inc fees and wages. I still believe they tell him more or less what he wants to hear and then don't fully commit to signings.

So essentially what it looks like was that (as many "conspiracy theorists" aka people who know what Ashley is like, said) the Chinese takeover thing was basically just a smokescreen to do no business and hold things up unnecessarily.