Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Paul merson keeps saying that Leicester dosing what they are doing will never happen again in a million years, but I can't see why not every club in the premiership has the ability to outspend most of Europe and create a great team and they no longer have to sell their top players, just look at Stones at Everton, it's all about coaching and management now.

To be honest, as much as it pains me to say so, I think Merson is correct in this case.

With us, it had been building and even though we did incredibly well in our first year in the premier League, apart from the fact that it had been hinted at how good we could be by storming the Championship, we didn't win the League. That's a whole different ball game.

For Leicester to go from near relegation certainties, to champions, within 1 season, I would say, will never happen again.

What has also worked for them is that every other team who you'd expect to challenge has under performed quite drastically. I can't see that happening again either.

This is a complete one off.

Guest reefatoon

:lol: Fat Sam over Benitez man. Your water been tampered with or something?

Read it carefully - I didn't actually say that at all. I simply said that Allardyce has more experience in fighting relegation from the PL and he has a set of players who seem to have more stomach for a relegation fight than ours...is this true or false..?

I also said that Benitez has not been given enough time to ensure safety...if he does so, he will have achieved something equally as difficult and praiseworthy as any of his previous successes.

But why does he have more experience? It's because he is s*** and his teams always struggle. In no way does it make him better equipped than a manager who wins. It's a crackers notion.

Sam is a proven manager in a relegation fight. I've not looked over his records but I assume Benitez has never been in this kind of situation, so it's not completely a stupid statement by the mackem.

I agree with this - IF Benitez signs, he will be faced by an incredibly difficult situation.

Not only have the dumbclucks in charge left it too late(he should have been in after the Chelsea game) to give him a fighting chance but he will be dealing with a bunch of players who are probably the most spineless he has had to manage in his whole career. Not only are they spineless, but some are already making plans for themselves at what they consider to be better clubs than NUFC and have zero reason or motivation to rouse themselves for the fight ahead. Also, as this mackem says, Allardyce has had much experience of facing possible relegation and the players he has at Sunderland may not be as talented as some of ours but they DO seem to have more stomach for the fight - we shall see how much Newcastle players want to stay up when we watch the Derby very soon and we CANNOT afford to lose that.

Given 2 sets of similar players in a mid-table situation, you would choose Benitez over Allardyce every day of the week, but these clubs are not in that position. IF NUFC stay up, Benitez would do a great job given time and finance to get the players he needs, but he faces a really tough gig if he becomes manager.

Nobody could condemn him if we still go down because he has very little time to sort things out and that is not his fault.

I would never chose fat Sam over Benitez under any circumstances.  If we do get him, and I think we will, our unmotivated players will all get a bounce and I can see the players improving enough to get us out of trouble. I think the derby atmosphere will be very similar to the first derby after we were promoted and that will also boost our performance . This might sound daft but a fit and motivated Cisse could keep us up on his own, we just need somebody to find that player.

Exactly that, Benitez has a major reputation within the game and probably the contacts to match, even those players wanting out are unlikely to want to p*ss him off/not try because there's a decent chance whoever is considering them will talk to Benitez (if the useless f***ers in charge manage not to f*** the appointment up - which I still believe is a high possibility) and the players won't want to seen as t***s and future negotiations coloured by "even Rafa couldn't get them to play to their best" thoughts. because that'll cost them real £££'s in negotiations.

I hope you & Mick are right but I do not have much faith in the shower we call a squad. They have hearts the size of peanuts and care just as much about the club as they do about the winners of the local Women's Institute Jam making contest...Cisse and Tiote have wanted to leave for over a year....

Guest Roger Kint

Players have another day off?  No wonder we're fucking shite

About four days training in 10 days, not like we need to work on things like....

I hope you & Mick are right but I do not have much faith in the shower we call a squad. They have hearts the size of peanuts and care just as much about the club as they do about the winners of the local Women's Institute Jam making contest...Cisse and Tiote have wanted to leave for over a year....

My hope is that the players have some self respect, it was too easy for McClaren to take the blame and they will be less able to get away with that if we manage to appoint Benitez.

Guest Roger Kint

My hope is that the players have some self respect, it was too easy for McClaren to take the blame and they will be less able to get away with that if we manage to appoint Benitez.

Thats the biggest hope for me. Good old luckless pushover Steve clearly didnt have their respect, hopefully someone like Benitez gives them a wake up call and gets them to at least play with a bit of pride.

Can imagine the rage on here if we don't have any positive news by this evening

If this is real, the Leicester game is gone. Benitez would require the combined powers of SBR and Ferguson to get a result against them in such a short time frame.

If they iron out contractual details and keep Benitez's LSD supply on point, I'm happy to wait. The one thing I don't understand is why McClaren is still here. They could/should fire him, but maybe his termination pay-off is pro-rated on a daily basis in which case they're waiting for Benitez/another replacement to agree all terms before axing him.

If we get him it will likeley be with an relegation clause sadly.

What will happen if we go down then?

Hire JoKe Kinnear or something stupid again?

Yep

We'll go down, Rafa will leave and we'll hire some no mark as Charnley will say, "Well look what happened last time we listened to the fans..."

If we get him it will likeley be with an relegation clause sadly.

What will happen if we go down then?

Hire JoKe Kinnear or something stupid again?

Yep

We'll go down, Rafa will leave and we'll hire some no mark as Charnley will say, "Well look what happened last time we listened to the fans..."

Yup, my worries execatly :D