Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Sir Bobby starting out now would be one of the best up and coming coaches in the game as he was back in his early days. Sir Bobby at his peak now would be up there with the very very best today. Ancelotti, Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Pardew et al. He was adaptable as his success all over Europe showed, his style of football was exciting and attacking, he liked youth and also improved players' games. But key is players wanted to play for him, loved him and that in football brings success.

Looking back at his time here, he did remarkably well with a team that individually wasn't the best and collectively wasn't the best either.

It was an odd and unbalanced outfit at times, an ageing Shearer, miscreants in Dyer, Bramble, Bellamy. A maverick in Robert, an ageing Speed and some extremely average players such as Dabizas, O'Brien etc. That and lots of younger players too. But in general it worked. We played good attacking football and were a very good team on our day capable of beating anyone.

Sir Bobby replaces KK and we win something, maybe even the title. We got Dalglish instead!

Rafa is pound for pound in terms of tactics, preparation, attention to detail, trophies won as a manager etc. arguably the best we've had, but give me a KK or a Sir Bobby any day over a Rafa whose football this season has bored the tits off me and made me switch over once or twice when live on telly and I love the man.

As much as I love SBR, the football for the majority of his first two years was horrendous and he took over a far better squad! It wasn’t until we signed Robert and Bellamy (it could easily have been Zenden and Jeffers as well!) that we motored! I think it’s harsh to judge any style of play in this league – Rafa had one target at the start of the season and he is well on the way to achieving it!

You mean the squad that went down 1-2 at home on a rainy night vs Sunderland, and were doomed for relegation? And in the first home game after SBR took over won 8-0? SBR was a fucking genius to turn us around, man. I also enjoyed watching the football at the time, all the pieces very slowly coming together, both on and off the pitch.

he took over a horrible squad and had to balance the books for the first 2 seasons, kevin fucking gallagher up front etc.

the man did a remarkable job by anyone's standards

Guest Howaythetoon

Gallagher played out wide and did a decent good.

He was the Goufran of the day. Hard working, did a job, but mediocrity personified basically.

Guest neesy111

Sir Bobby starting out now would be one of the best up and coming coaches in the game as he was back in his early days. Sir Bobby at his peak now would be up there with the very very best today. Ancelotti, Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Pardew et al. He was adaptable as his success all over Europe showed, his style of football was exciting and attacking, he liked youth and also improved players' games. But key is players wanted to play for him, loved him and that in football brings success.

Looking back at his time here, he did remarkably well with a team that individually wasn't the best and collectively wasn't the best either.

It was an odd and unbalanced outfit at times, an ageing Shearer, miscreants in Dyer, Bramble, Bellamy. A maverick in Robert, an ageing Speed and some extremely average players such as Dabizas, O'Brien etc. That and lots of younger players too. But in general it worked. We played good attacking football and were a very good team on our day capable of beating anyone.

Sir Bobby replaces KK and we win something, maybe even the title. We got Dalglish instead!

Rafa is pound for pound in terms of tactics, preparation, attention to detail, trophies won as a manager etc. arguably the best we've had, but give me a KK or a Sir Bobby any day over a Rafa whose football this season has bored the tits off me and made me switch over once or twice when live on telly and I love the man.

As much as I love SBR, the football for the majority of his first two years was horrendous and he took over a far better squad! It wasn’t until we signed Robert and Bellamy (it could easily have been Zenden and Jeffers as well!) that we motored! I think it’s harsh to judge any style of play in this league – Rafa had one target at the start of the season and he is well on the way to achieving it!

You mean the squad that went down 1-2 at home on a rainy night vs Sunderland, and were doomed for relegation? And in the first home game after SBR took over won 8-0? SBR was a fucking genius to turn us around, man. I also enjoyed watching the football at the time, all the pieces very slowly coming together, both on and off the pitch.

he took over a horrible squad and had to balance the books for the first 2 seasons, kevin fucking gallagher up front etc.

That's complete bullshit calling it a horrible squad, it was just that Gullit had lost the dressing room.

Our form under Robson after he came in proved it.

Guest Howaythetoon

It had some decent players, but it was all over the place as a squad. Sir Bobby brought it all together.

Guest neesy111

One very underrated cog of that 99-00 season was Domi. He was superb and created a fair few goals particularly for Shearer that season.

:thup:

That goal vs Wimbeldon was superb.

That's complete bullshit calling it a horrible squad, it was just that Gullit had lost the dressing room.

Complete bullshit? [emoji38]

I was there, it was all horrible for 1-2 years or so until we got Bellamy, Robert etc.

That was the first time he was allowed to spend money without selling and we progressed.

My memory is wretched like but he was a very good manager struggling with a poor squad for quite some time.

Guest neesy111

I was there, it was all horrible for 1-2 years or so until we got Bellamy, Robert etc.

That was the first time he was allowed to spend money without selling and we progressed.

My memory is wretched like but he was a very good manager struggling with a poor squad for quite some time.

I was there as well and it wasn't horrible man.  I've seen us have tons of worse squads in the PL.

Also while he was balancing the books, he made some shocking signings in 2000-01 season.

I was there as well and it wasn't horrible man.  I've seen us have tons of worse squads in the PL.

Also while he was balancing the books, he made some shocking signings in 2000-01 season.

No one said he was perfect, just that he was operating under constraints.

We were very functional and one paced under Robson until Bellamy & Robert, horrible at times and functional for the rest of it.

Guest neesy111

No one said he was perfect, just that he was operating under constraints.

We were very functional and one paced under Robson until Bellamy & Robert, horrible at times and functional for the rest of it.

Yeah them 2 were the key signings.

It was an unbalanced squad severely lacking pace and a partner to get the best out of Shearer, let's put it that way. Robert and Bellamy transformed the way we played and we shot up the league.

Those two could have started for any team in the PL in hindsight, luckily we were the ones who took the gamble and it paid off massively. 2 of our best players in the past 30 years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4410132/Newcastle-Leeds-Two-giants-reborn-Championship.html

Benitez has done more than win matches. The first thing Keegan did on returning as manager in 1992 was fumigate and paint the training ground. Benitez’s repairs have been psychological.

As Michael Walker wrote in his book Up There: ‘Keegan was firing a city whose football imagination had been under curfew.’

Benitez has none of Keegan’s historical or emotional connections to Newcastle and not all of his charisma. But he is brave and understands this club and its city. Last season, he joined a famous institution low on self-esteem, cut adrift from its fan base and at war with the local media.

At a game I attended under his predecessor Steve McClaren last year, supporters sat on the Gallowgate staring at their phones, disconnected from the action, there only out of habit. When McClaren waved at full-time, he was hounded down the tunnel.

Benitez, to a degree, has fixed all this. He has broken the curfew.

An astute, political animal, the Spaniard has reversed the siege mentality that was crippling Newcastle. He has taken hold of every aspect of his club in a way McClaren and, previously, Alan Pardew never had the nerve to.

Benitez said on Thursday: ‘We are close so we have a chance to do something important. People will remember those players who got promoted. It’s like my time at Liverpool here. The passion, the feeling the fans have for the club and for the football and the history. It’s a city of working people. They work hard to come and watch us. The connection with the fans is really good.’

Benitez’s appointment towards the end of last season was a coup by Ashley but also a gamble. One hard-headed man appointed by another. Recently — predictably — those heads have started to rub and the territory has been familiar: transfer funds.

Newcastle were in transfer profit last summer. Benitez wore that. Ashley decided not to invest in January. Benitez, wanting fuel for his promotion push, did not wear that. The two men have not spoken much since and Benitez has let it be known that he considered walking. The threat hangs heavy.

On Thursday, Benitez mentioned the word ‘profit’ twice without prompting. At another juncture he said that, when signing a player: ‘You can’t worry about paying a couple of million over’. That is not language familiar to Ashley but, equally, the Newcastle owner knows this is a new landscape.

Rafa Benitez stayed with Newcastle United after they were relegated to the Championship. Not since Keegan’s brief return in 2008 has he employed a manager universally popular with supporters. He also knows that this one does not really need the work.

Newcastle trail leaders Brighton by two points. By kick-off that could be five. One school of thought is that it would suit Benitez to take Newcastle up in second place. That way, Ashley may be persuaded to improve the squad.

‘I stayed after relegation because of the fans and the stature of the club,’ reflected Benitez. ‘We will hopefully play top Premier League sides in the future, touch wood.

‘This city, this club, they deserve to be in the Premier League. But we have to DO it.’

Three years ago Napoli knocked Swansea out of the Europa League and Benitez and Monk were the managers.

‘Rafa was brilliant with me,’ Monk recalled. ‘It wasn’t one where he just shook hands and said he had to get on the bus. He sat down and talked for a long time, offering me advice. I’ve got the highest respect for Rafa.’

Nobody would have bet on the two men meeting again here, in this division. For both managers, there is much to play for and, equally, much unexplained.

Newcastle were in transfer profit last summer. Benitez wore that. Ashley decided not to invest in January. Benitez, wanting fuel for his promotion push, did not wear that. The two men have not spoken much since and Benitez has let it be known that he considered walking. The threat hangs heavy.

On Thursday, Benitez mentioned the word ‘profit’ twice without prompting. At another juncture he said that, when signing a player: ‘You can’t worry about paying a couple of million over’. That is not language familiar to Ashley but, equally, the Newcastle owner knows this is a new landscape.

:scared:

Rafa has done a fantastic job for us, the club was a stinking cesspit before he arrived and it looks more than likely that he's going to achieve promotion is one season.  I agree with him when he reminds people that we were relegated because we were shit and I think going up in any position should not be underestimated by anybody.  We weren't a team that was fighting all last season to stay up, we looked for most of the season like a team fighting to go down until he came in and started lifting everybody associated with the club.

:scared:

:lol:

Seriously I'm glad he's come out and said it. In a way I can understand that an owner's mentality has to be different to the manager's when you are running a business, daft to think otherwise. But when you are lucky enough to have the services of one of the world's great managers you have to let him make the decisions on recruitment. Ashley needs to fuck off and worry about sponsorship, ground improvements and other mundane stuff he's more suited to. I hope he has realised that when he finally decided to hire a genuine A grade manager.

At another juncture he said that, when signing a player: ‘You can’t worry about paying a couple of million over’.

That's interesting, 'cos he pulled out of a few deals at LFC because the price was a couple of million too high. Glad to see he's changed his tune.

He was the Goufran of the day. Hard working, did a job, but mediocrity personified basically.

Bit unfair considering he was playing out of his natural position and also was at the end of a good career when he rocked up at SJP.

Guest neesy111

Bit unfair considering he was playing out of his natural position and also was at the end of a good career when he rocked up at SJP.

Gouffran is as well.

Aye. Gallacher was a good player in his younger days, who adapted to a useful role when his legs started to go. Insulting comparing him to Gouffran who's been shite for us since he was in his mid twenties.

Guest palnese

Not going to blame him today, as we were brilliant.

Still, how many goals have we let in just before HT/FT this season?