Leicester City 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 14/03/16 - post match reaction from p.44

BlueStar

there was a lack of skill, misplaced passes and poor touches, but i guess thats down to confidence as much as anything.

That was the most worrying thing for me, do we have time to fix it? Controlling the ball up into the air, passing it behind the player, not getting enough weight on the pass. Those are things that confident, relaxed players just don't do.

Totally agree about the not chasing back branko, my neutral mate also commented time and time again about our lack of urgency when building from the back. Too much strolling for a team desperate for points imo.

Its good that we werent 100 miles an hour as we would have been torn apart. We had a plan we stuck to it. We didnt get anything but the fact that we stuck to a plan for the entire game was important.

Alot of positives.

The mackems and Norwich is the test.

I agree, but I also don't. It's strange. I don't mean running at 100 miles an hour chasing the ball around and ultimately never having it, but just that tempo however the situation required it, if you know what I mean? I agree, too frantic and we'd have lost any game plan. I would have just liked more presence from us tonight. Pin a team like Leicester back.

It doesn't matter about the pen and it doesn't matter that we lost. There was a massive improvement out there tonight and if this had been Rafa's 3rd or 4th game we would have won. Leicester were just holding on for the last 20min. Not many sides have won there this season.

Couldn't believe how laboured and nervy the forward players' touches were.

De Jong was the only one that was fluid with the ball. The difference in his touch, control and passing when he came on was startling.

Unfortunately not sure how we can fit him in from the start, as pairing him with Mitro gives us such a slow front line.

It doesn't matter about the pen and it doesn't matter that we lost. There was a massive improvement out there tonight and if this had been Rafa's 3rd or 4th game we would have won. Leicester were just holding on for the last 20min. Not many sides have won there this season.

Disagree that they were "holding on", they just knew that by killing the game we'd be incapable of scoring based on our woeful goal scoring record away from home. Professional tactics prevailed.

Guest neesy111

Its good that we werent 100 miles an hour as we would have been torn apart. We had a plan we stuck to it. We didnt get anything but the fact that we stuck to a plan for the entire game was important.

Alot of positives.

I agree, but I also don't. It's strange. I don't mean running at 100 miles an hour chasing the ball around and ultimately never having it, but just that tempo however the situation required it, if you know what I mean? I agree, too frantic and we'd have lost any game plan. I would have just liked more presence from us tonight. Pin a team like Leicester back.

That's when they are at their most  dangerous.

No doubt. I'm just concerned that we might have done too little too late. I've already seen and heard enough from Benitez to see he knows how to identify the problems and address them, I just don't know whether we have enough games left to implement those changes.

Alot of positives.

That's when they are at their most  dangerous.

Nah, man. They're at their most dangerous when you allow them to break in to space. Leicester like to play 5 or 10 years ahead. 2 strong banks of 4, but immediately ready to move in to whatever piece of space you allow them. Long or short. Stop that and keep the pressure on them imo.

Missed the game tonight. Can someone tell me what formation we played and whether we changed shape with the subs?

Started with:

----------- Shelvey --------- Anita -----------

Perez ------------ Wijnaldum -------- Sissoko

--------------------- Mitro --------------------

Turned into:

Townsend ------- Shelvey ------- Gini -------- Sissoko

------------------- Mitro ---------- Perez ---------------

Not sure what it was when SDJ came on.

Missed the game tonight. Can someone tell me what formation we played and whether we changed shape with the subs?

Started with:

Turned into:

Cheers  O0

Started with:

Turned into:

Ended up as

Janmaat - Taylor - Lascelles - Colback

*Leicester*

Townsend - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Doumbia

Wijnaldum - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Sissoko

de Jong

Mitrovic

Leicester came so close to scoring that they scored.

They scored a offside goal, of course nowt matters other than 1-0 though, might as well bring McClaren back eh? :lol:

Wasnt actually offside according to some ref on Sky (Dermot Gallagher I think)

Hmm, it's a close one.

http://i.imgur.com/QbTLzvy.png

Taking into account the perspective here, it's likely Lascelles' upper body is just about in line with Vardy.

Because Taylor made a "deliberate" movement to the ball and basically flicked it on to Vardy, it's a "2nd phase", therefore onside

:thup:

Yeah, that's not true at all.

Leicester came so close to scoring that they scored.

They scored a offside goal, of course nowt matters other than 1-0 though, might as well bring McClaren back eh? :lol:

Wasnt actually offside according to some ref on Sky (Dermot Gallagher I think)

Hmm, it's a close one.

http://i.imgur.com/QbTLzvy.png

Taking into account the perspective here, it's likely Lascelles' upper body is just about in line with Vardy.

Because Taylor made a "deliberate" movement to the ball and basically flicked it on to Vardy, it's a "2nd phase", therefore onside

:thup:

Yeah, that's not true at all.

What, so an actual former ref who knows the rules is wrong?

The decision making of a lot of our players is truly shit, few times tonight someone makes a decoy run to try and stretch Leicester and the gimp on the ball tries a ridiculous pass through about 4 players to them, who would be crowded out straight away too.

There's also no nous, like Townsend buying a free kick when someone slid in to him on the touch line and he dinked it over him and out of play. Should just go over. I don't particularly like it but it's the sort of thing Leicester were doing all night.

The immediate impression was of a far more solid unit, esp at the back...Janmaat not galloping forward at daft times and leaving gaps as before and the link between defence and m/f, usually with Shelvey co-ordinating was better although this meant Shelvey was often too far back to offer any support to the forwards. The problems we have are all up front and to a lesser extent, in m/f. Unless Perez is able to have a run at defenders, we have a huge lack of pace ; Mitrovic has the speed and turning ability of a 40 year-old, never mind a player of 21. As ever, he was constantly isolated and when we had to resort to long balls, he was usually crowded out before he could lay the ball off and nobody was breaking through fast enough from m/f to support him. The only time we really opened them up was when Townsend beat his defender and got a good cross in.

Anita gave the ball away countless times and I wasn't in the least surprised when Benitez subbed him.

Yes, it WAS a pen when Sissoko's shot hit the defender's arm, but apart from that we created VERY few clear chances and Rafa will now know, only too well, the size of the task he faces.

I was heartened by the overall tightness of the side, obviously down to his organization ; the whole set-up is more SBR than KK and this means we are likely to concede less than in the past, Unfortunately, it also means we are unlikely to score many either because in a tight compact formation such as this, you need either an instinctive scorer or forwards with pace and we have neither. The good side to all this is that if we avoid the drop, Rafa's discipline will make us tough to beat and this is the FIRST quality a side needs to get success or silverware. Decent signings in summer would make all the difference, but it will be a very tough job to stay up.

Don't think you deserved to lose tonight. Pretty gash game and one superb finish settled it. Doesn't mean that's in any way satisfactory but there were reasons for optimism IMO.