The other games today 2016/17

nemtizz

Yes but it's also why they're able to pay huge fees for rights. If they start offering cheaper subscription services, they can't pay the PL that much. This is worth paying attention to because less viewers usually leads to less subscribers and that leads to lower fees for rights. People waiting for the 'bubble' to explode should take notice of this.

What's happening to subscription numbers at the moment?  I'd wager they're in decline.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/sky-sports-bt-sport-people-switching-football-off

Interesting read from October, I'm on my phone so cant copy and paste it like.

Sky have fucked the job up like by having the "main" game on Saturday lunch time. Anybody who is going to a 3pm home match is going to be pushed to see it all, except in the pub, and I don't know how pub viewing is counted in the tv figures. Then with BT having second pick for the tea time game, we're left with usually 1 pretty poor match on the Sunday at least, or even worse the Monday night game. See Burnley/Watford, Middlesbrough/Watford, Stoke/Swansea, WBA/Burnley, West Ham/Bournemouth...I could probably go on. Nobody wants to watch that.

Guest neesy111

This is simply down to the archaic distribution that SKY and BT persist with. 

a) they show only a handful of the games, when every single game is available to viewers in foreign countries

b) their online services are inferior to many illegal streaming options

c) their pricing structures are far too expensive and are usually bloated with other services football fans aren't interested in

If SKY or BT put out a monthly Premier League subscription service at £10 a month which gave fans the ability to watch any game - or even just the games of their club, with other games costing more - I'd pay it. 

Instead we get the 40/50/60/70/80 quid a month bundles that offer you the chance to see Swansea square off against Stoke on SUPER SUNDAY.

Nah, down to shite teams playing shite teams.

Guest neesy111

Yes but it's also why they're able to pay huge fees for rights. If they start offering cheaper subscription services, they can't pay the PL that much. This is worth paying attention to because less viewers usually leads to less subscribers and that leads to lower fees for rights. People waiting for the 'bubble' to explode should take notice of this.

What's happening to subscription numbers at the moment?  I'd wager they're in decline.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/oct/24/sky-sports-bt-sport-people-switching-football-off

Interesting read from October, I'm on my phone so cant copy and paste it like.

People have other things to do nowadays, Netflix is better than most football games nowadays.

There's a plethora of reasons, many of which are mentioned in the article Figures posted, including the TV deal being split across Sky/BT meaning people have to pay double for the same thing they were getting three years ago, the Premier League currently being largely made up of a lot of rather dull clubs with not a lot of history, the increased availability of streaming.

I kind of think we've just hit peak football to be honest. There is barely a day goes by that there isn't some football on television, hardly a weekend or a midweek without some UNMISSABLE clash that 9 times out of 10 turns out to be shite, and I think a lot of people are a bit bored with it. Football on TV is just a lot less special than it used to be.

Agree with that, the amount of people on facebook posting statuses listing all the big games that were on, Man U - Arsenal, Madrid derby, Milan derby, Bayern-Dortmund blah blah 'I know what I'm gonna spend my entire weekend doing'. I love football and it's a huge part of my life, but I certainly wouldn't spend my absolute entire weekend sitting on the sofa watching it. I doubt the majority of people who put that status even watched 50% of the games either tbh.

I quite often turn off a 'super sunday' match at half time after enduring a load of nothing. I sometimes spend a whole day watching football but it's quite rare that it's good enough to warrant it.

Also the Sky/BT thing is shit, I had Now TV for a couple of months but just got annoyed that I still couldn't watch the games I wanted.