Rafa In or Ashley Out?

Wullie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It's not a 'massive' gamble at all. I've asked people to list the owners worse than Ashley, there's a handful, at the very most.

Which is a fair point to make. What's not fair is to suggest that I want to keep Ashley in the here and now based on a point I made in a hypothetical debate.

It's not a 'massive' gamble at all. I've asked people to list the owners worse than Ashley, there's a handful, at the very most.

Which is a fair point to make. What's not fair is to suggest that I want to keep Ashley in the here and now based on a point I made in a hypothetical debate.

It's not a fair point to make, as I've pointed out by stating that there aren't enough owners worse than Ashley to justify saying it's a 'massive gamble'. It's just not.

I'm not even suggesting you said anything, your quote says it all. You said everyone wants Ashley out but blatantly said, in your opinion, that it's a 'massive gamble', that indicates you do not want Ashley out 100%, irrespective of whether Rafa stays.

It's not a fair point to make, as I've pointed out by stating that there aren't enough owners worse than Ashley to justify saying it's a 'massive gamble'. It's just not.

I'm not even suggesting you said anything, your quote says it all. You said everyone wants Ashley out but blatantly said, in your opinion, that it's a 'massive gamble', that indicates you do not want Ashley out 100%, irrespective of whether Rafa stays.

Ok I'm done, you won't even take it when I say you made a fair point :lol:

Ok I'm done, you won't even take it when I say you made a fair point :lol:

I misinterpreted what you said then, thought you meant what you said was a fair point.  :buck2: :lol: Fair enough

• 3 years later...

Thought I'd check back in with this poll given that what's happened this summer always looked completely inevitable eventually.

The majority view was that having Rafa at all was better than being shot of Ashley. How many people would change their view from 2016? Were 3 years of Rafa Benitez worth now being back to square one with Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce?

Thought I'd check back in with this poll given that what's happened this summer always looked completely inevitable eventually.

The majority view was that having Rafa at all was better than being shot of Ashley. How many people would change their view from 2016? Were 3 years of Rafa Benitez worth now being back to square one with Mike Ashley and Steve Bruce?

Yes

Voted top but I’m actually surprised at how angry I’ve been about Bruce. Was in a foul mood today. Emotions all over the place and I’m pretty sure I’m not preggers.

Yes

You do surprise me. :lol: Still going obviously. As long as you're happy. :thup:

Voted top but I’m actually surprised at how angry I’ve been about Bruce. Was in a foul mood today. Emotions all over the place and I’m pretty sure I’m not preggers.

Aye I'm fuming and I usually don't even watch the games anymore.

Good bump. I voted the top option and stand by it. Rafa was merely papering over the cracks and no matter how hard he tried he was never going to change Ashley's philosophy towards the running of this club. Interesting to contemplate where we would be now if not Rafa but Steve Bruce or someone of his ilk had taken over at the end of that relegation season.

Course they weren't. Pretty sure I originally voted for Rafa staying but having seen that scenario play out, I'd vote the other way now.

Fair play for this insight mind, got it down to a tee.

I don't doubt that if Rafa remains, it'll be if he's told he has control. Keegan was told the same and that quickly disintegrated. Once promotion is obtained, I would expect Ashley to revert to type. I don't see Rafa being fired either. I can very much see him walking though, and if they've been promoted by that point, Ashley won't care. I suspect he'd be delighted actually. Back to normal.

Any chance of the euromillions numbers for Friday??

Yes

You do surprise me. :lol: Still going obviously. As long as you're happy. :thup:

No I’m not still going. Packed it in this summer. But I really did enjoy having Rafa around, despite the owner. Now he’s gone though...

A huge part of me thought the existence of Rafa could help to force through the ultimate change. Meanwhile, on a day to day basis, the good of Rafa outweighed the bad of Ashley and I felt like I could get behind the team and - to a lesser extent - the club. The optimist in me thought he'd effectively saved us and my attitude as a supporter mostly revolved around these notions. Plus I was enormously grateful to be caring again and clung onto that desperately.

Turns out that he couldn't save us and we might as well never have had him. Nothing changed and he leaves behind no legacy. The corpse was reanimated, somewhat convincingly at times, but it's still a corpse.

Yes

No I’m not still going. Packed it in this summer. But I really did enjoy having Rafa around, despite the owner. Now he’s gone though...

Ah nice one. :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: :thup: I liked having him as well and I give very few shits about how the team gets on. Was nice to have someone with some dignity and gravitas representing the club.

A huge part of me thought the existence of Rafa could help to force through the ultimate change. Meanwhile, on a day to day basis, the good of Rafa outweighed the bad of Ashley and I felt like I could get behind the team and - to a lesser extent - the club. The optimist in me thought he'd effectively saved us and my attitude as a supporter mostly revolved around these notions. Plus I was enormously grateful to be caring again and clung onto that desperately.

Turns out that he couldn't save us and we might as well never have had him. Nothing changed and he leaves behind no legacy. The corpse was reanimated, somewhat convincingly at times, but it's still a corpse.

Ah man, it hurts just reading that. I guess it's a lot easier for us far away fans to get disenfranchised, but when the city is revibrating like days gone by and everybody talks about the day to day business of the club with pride and fondness I imagine it must be very hard for locals to resist getting drawn back in. My three match going mates from 2004-06 are still going and therefore maybe so would I if I still lived in the area, out of friendship, loyalty and plain old habit. They're all well in their fiftees now, and Ashley is ruining any chance they will ever have of seeing this club compete for trophies or at least try to, just like he is doing for thousands upon thousands of others. It's not often I wish misery on someone, but I hope Ashley rots in hell for what he's done and continue to do to us fans, all for a few million on top of the billions he already has. He's a fucking disgrace.

And I'm feeling fucking heartbroken, for what it's worth (i.e absolutely nowt). I've been absolutely miserable since the Rafa news. Not so much the loss of the man himself; aye I worshipped him and it's a tragedy that he isn't the manager any more, but it's what his loss represents and the wider implications.

My lass isn't even close to understanding it and, frustratingly, neither does anyone else I spend time with. Everyone who knows me knows me as the Newcastle fan (obviously I'm not that far away from the Toon so there are others nearby, but not so much in my circles/workplace) - yet they're astounded, doubtful and cynical when I say: I want the club to rot, I'm not a supporter any more, and I want fuck all to do with shite like Fantasy Football. I'm really fucking depressed about it all. Not angry, I can't muster anger, I just feel like I've lost a limb.

I made a post on here a while back about how my renewed energy as a football fan had a profound effect on my general personality and I'm feeling the hit now. I'm bloody miserable.

There's more to life than football, I know, and you need to snap out of these things but atm I'm wallowing. :lol:

:clap:

Excellent post.

We will be back one day, and that day will be all the sweeter having known we played no part in MA's continued destruction and decimation of OUR club.

Meantime we continue the fight and try to influence and persuade others of reality.

Ah man, it hurts just reading that. I guess it's a lot easier for us far away fans to get disenfranchised, but when the city is revibrating like days gone by and everybody talks about the day to day business of the club with pride and fondness I imagine it must be very hard for locals to resist getting drawn back in. My three match going mates from 2004-06 are still going and therefore maybe so would I if I still lived in the area, out of friendship, loyalty and plain old habit. They're all well in their fiftees now, and Ashley is ruining any chance they will ever have of seeing this club compete for trophies or at least try to, just like he is doing for thousands upon thousands of others. It's not often I wish misery on someone, but I hope Ashley rots in hell for what he's done and continue to do to us fans, all for a few million on top of the billions he already has. He's a fucking disgrace.

It’s the damage to the city, my home, that annoys me more than anything about all this by a long, long way.

Like it or lump it Newcastle United is the beacon of the city and now the last redeemable quality has gone the light has stopped shining,

It’s the damage to the city, my home, that annoys me more than anything about all this by a long, long way.

Like it or lump it Newcastle United is the beacon of the city and now the last redeemable quality has gone the light has stopped shining,

Nah. It's just night time mate. The light will return in the morning.

We could have the best manager on the planet, it's totally irrelevant given they're always going to be handicapped by an ambitionless cretin of an owner. It has to be Ashley to go every day of the week, this has always been the case.