Newcastle United transfer rumours in the press

Kaizero
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He's not a mercenary at all. He left a mid table Championship club to play Premier League football, followed by leaving one of the worst Premier League sides in the history of the competition (where he'd been for 5-6 years) to join a club where he'd have the opportunity to play Champions League football.

It's called progression.

it's called progression if he actually plays and progresses though, which he isn't doing unless i'm mistaken, nor is he likely to

He's been out of the first team squad for less than half a season and is on his way out of the door, purely because the new manager doesn't fancy him. He played more than enough games last season to not warrant the 'mercenary' tag, not to mention 5 times in the Champions League. Villa were dreadful and were looking at a relegation battle when he left, you really can't blame him.

Guest neesy111

He's not a mercenary at all. He left a mid table Championship club to play Premier League football, followed by leaving one of the worst Premier League sides in the history of the competition (where he'd been for 5-6 years) to join a club where he'd have the opportunity to play Champions League football.

It's called progression.

it's called progression if he actually plays and progresses though, which he isn't doing unless i'm mistaken, nor is he likely to

He's been out of the first team squad for less than half a season and is on his way out of the door, purely because the new manager doesn't fancy him. He played more than enough games last season to not warrant the 'mercenary' tag, not to mention 5 times in the Champions League. Villa were dreadful and were looking at a relegation battle when he left, you really can't blame him.

This.

Very easy to tag a player as mercenary without looking into the reasons for the move.

Delph's contract was about to expire but he signed a new deal with an £8m release. So maybe he shouldn't have declared his love for Villa (although you'd kinda have to in that situation), but he could easily have walked out for free. The issue is that he must've known he'd be bench fodder.

Guest neesy111

I've no idea. I don't think that changes the fact he was chasing money. He'd pledged loyalty to Villa hardly any time before he eventually left for a lucrative career on the bench.

Howay man, it would had been stupid of him to stay at Villa who were clearly a sinking ship.

I think people underestimate how much faith a lot of footballers have in their own abilities. If you get a move from a mid table team to a top team you've probably been the best player in every single team you've played in. I think a lot of players like Delph or Rodwell would've backed themselves to break into the City team

Guest neesy111

I think people underestimate how much faith a lot of footballers have in their own abilities. If you get a move from a mid table team to a top team you've probably been the best player in every single team you've played in. I think a lot of players like Delph or Rodwell would've backed themselves to break into the City team

Yeap, also they don't know if they will ever get an offer to move a club like that again.

Yeap, also they don't know if they will ever get an offer to move a club like that again.

Easy enough to do when you are English, when it's not your agent boosting your ego telling you how great you are, or the yes men company you end up keeping it is the English press building you up as the next greatest footballer on earth.

It's easy to drink the cool-aid for too many young English players. 

I was thinking that myself. And I was thinking that his signing a new contract could have been a gesture so the club could make some money.

But the £8M release clause is weird. It suggests he maybe thought Man City would pull out at a higher price, and get somebody else. So maybe not so confident in his own ability.

Of course it could be the sign of an ambitious, but modest professional.