Group C - Germany (Q), Poland (Q), N. Ireland (Q), Ukraine

Wullie

Friend pointed out that Germany are typically poor in their second game at major tournaments so I doubt last night has much bearing.

WC 2002:

1st) 8-0 v Saudi Arabia

2nd) 1-1 v ROI.

Euro 2004:

1st) 1-1 v Dutch

2nd) 0-0 v Latvia.

WC 2006:

1st) 4-2 v Costa Rica

2nd) 1-0 v Poland

Euro 2008:

1st) 2-0 v Poland.

2nd) 1-2 v  Croatia

WC 2010:

1st) 4-0 v Australia

2nd) 0-1 v Serbia

Euro 2012:

1st) 1-0 v Portugal

2nd) 2-1 v Dutch

WC 2014:

1st) 4-0 v Portugal

2nd) 2-2 v Ghana

Can someone explain to me how Ukraine have already been knocked out? ???

Because the only side left in the group that they can draw level on points with is Northern Ireland, who have the better H2H record.

I know it's still a long shot but if Northern Ireland manage to get a point then surely 4 points would be enough to see them in the top four 3rd placed teams.

They were saying on Talksport that a point guarantees them entry to the 16s...don't know if that's actually the case though

I know it's still a long shot but if Northern Ireland manage to get a point then surely 4 points would be enough to see them in the top four 3rd placed teams.

They were saying on Talksport that a point guarantees them entry to the 16s...don't know if that's actually the case though

They're second in the 3rd place teams so far I think. A draw takes them ahead of Slovakia and means they'll finish above Albania too.

The two other 3rd place teams so far are Albania & Solvakia. A N.I draw would give them 4 points.

Albania have 3 points.  Slovakia have 4, with 0 GD. N.I draw would have their GD at +1. Only two 3rd place teams don't qualify, and N.I would be above 2

Read somewhere that a team with 4 points has never been eliminated in tournaments that had this best 3rd place teams going through bullshit.