Dwight Gayle (now playing for Derby County)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

656 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

People go on about the Perez Mitrovic partnership as if we didn't get relegated with it

Best we have as a partnership in my opinion. Much better than Gayle/Diame from the first 6 months of the Championship. And with Joselu's confidence looking shot to bits, I don't see any other viable option than to give them a chance up top.

I'm just happy he's looking fit and hoping he can remain injury free as he's the only striker we have who isn't hilarious in front of goal. I think he made a decent enough account of himself today. Not great, but a marked improvement on the last couple of month.

:thup:

People go on about the Perez Mitrovic partnership as if we didn't get relegated with it

Best we have as a partnership in my opinion. Much better than Gayle/Diame from the first 6 months of the Championship. And with Joselu's confidence looking shot to bits, I don't see any other viable option than to give them a chance up top.

But why Perez? I can understand giving Mitro a go beside Gayle

Think the words I used was 'he didn't do much'. And he didn't. If he had scored we would have drew the match 1-1. The linesman decided he didn't score so he didn't. We don't make these decisions. Gayle had the chance to rectify it as I just said, and he failed to take it.

That's nonsense like, your criticism is with Gayle, not the officials.

To me, if the officials decide a goal is offside, I move on and so should the player involved. Gayle had 90 minutes to score a goal deemed legitimate, and he didn't, regardless of whether you view his goal on or offside. Therefore my original post of 'didn't do much' is perfectly valid. Because he didn't do much, did he?

f***ing hell. [emoji38]

So because the ref disallowed his perfectly fine goal, that means it didn't happen and it's Gayle's fault. Flawless logic. [emoji38]

I prefer to focus on what was in a player's hands rather than what was out. It's not his responsibility that the linesman deemed him offside, but it is his responsibility to then go and take the chance he had after that, and he didn't. Other than those two moments, he didn't do much/anything else in the game. So arriving back to my initial point, no Gayle didn't do much. Fucking hell  :lol: I hardly called him worse than shit, I said he didn't do much. And he didn't.

But why Perez? I can understand giving Mitro a go beside Gayle

Yeah sure why not, I just don't see one of them instinctively dropping off, but maybe Mitrovic could. He operates fairly deep for Serbia so he probably can do the job. I just want to see him in and around the box myself, he causes havoc and opens up space for Atsu, Ritchie & Shelvey to shoot. So important for us. Even if he doesn't score he can severely impact a game, which is why I criticise Gayle.

Thought he actually gave the defenders more trouble in hold up play than Joselu actually. We got worse because Perez came on, not because Joselu went off.

I disagree mate, I think Joselu, even though he was shit in possession, won a lot in the air and allowed us to advance up the pitch. When he went off nobody was doing that and we couldn't get out.

Guest firetotheworks

Think the words I used was 'he didn't do much'. And he didn't. If he had scored we would have drew the match 1-1. The linesman decided he didn't score so he didn't. We don't make these decisions. Gayle had the chance to rectify it as I just said, and he failed to take it.

To me, if the officials decide a goal is offside, I move on and so should the player involved. Gayle had 90 minutes to score a goal deemed legitimate, and he didn't, regardless of whether you view his goal on or offside. Therefore my original post of 'didn't do much' is perfectly valid. Because he didn't do much, did he?

f***ing hell. [emoji38]

So because the ref disallowed his perfectly fine goal, that means it didn't happen and it's Gayle's fault. Flawless logic. [emoji38]

I prefer to focus on what was in a player's hands rather than what was out. It's not his responsibility that the linesman deemed him offside, but it is his responsibility to then go and take the chance he had after that, and he didn't. Other than those two moments, he didn't do much/anything else in the game. So arriving back to my initial point, no Gayle didn't do much. Fucking hell  [emoji38] I hardly called him worse than shit, I said he didn't do much. And he didn't.

I'm out, you're nuts. [emoji38]

It was in his hands when the ball came to him off the post and he had the chance to score and he took it. That happened. You can't just stop and start these things at your convenience and say he didn't do much in the whole match because he didn't do much AFTER and the disallowed goal, it's all or nothing.

f***ing hell. [emoji38]

I prefer to focus on what was in a player's hands rather than what was out. It's not his responsibility that the linesman deemed him offside, but it is his responsibility to then go and take the chance he had after that, and he didn't. Other than those two moments, he didn't do much/anything else in the game. So arriving back to my initial point, no Gayle didn't do much. f***ing hell  [emoji38] I hardly called him worse than s***, I said he didn't do much. And he didn't.

It was in his hands when the ball came to him off the post and he had the chance to score and he took it. That happened. You can't just stop and start these things at your convenience and say he didn't do much in the whole match because he didn't do much AFTER and the disallowed goal, it's all or nothing.

He didn't do much in the match regardless of the offside/onside crack. Do you think he did like? Cause' there's evidence that says he clearly didn't do much in the game and many would agree.

Thought Gayle did well overall, linked up well.  Should have made more of a couple of chances and of course did score a perfectly good goal.  Also might have had a chance to score again if he wasn't blatantly pushed over when almost clear on goal at the end (another amazing refereeing decision).

Guest firetotheworks

f***ing hell. [emoji38]

I prefer to focus on what was in a player's hands rather than what was out. It's not his responsibility that the linesman deemed him offside, but it is his responsibility to then go and take the chance he had after that, and he didn't. Other than those two moments, he didn't do much/anything else in the game. So arriving back to my initial point, no Gayle didn't do much. f***ing hell  [emoji38] I hardly called him worse than s***, I said he didn't do much. And he didn't.

He didn't do much in the match regardless of the offside/onside crack. Do you think he did like? Cause' there's evidence that says he clearly didn't do much in the game and many would agree.

Why are you only judging him aside from his goal? [emoji38] This is the point, discounting it because it was wrongly disallowed is nuts.

Guess it comes down to what you see as enough. The way I see it he scores a tap in that is dubious and gets disallowed and therefore counts for nothing. And then doesn't do anything really of note aside from that. Even if that goal stood, the statement 'he didn't do much' is hardly a one that warrants an outraged reaction or is even all that disagreeable  :lol:

Anyway, I'm sure we both don't want to go back and forth with this all evening, so have a good'n Kid :thup:

Gayle played pretty well today actually, not sure how anyone could think otherwise after seeing Joselu's performances in recent weeks.

Him, Ritchie and Atsu were all threatening first half. Everything went to s*** after that.

Crossed it too early too often for me. Should get to the byline more.

Thought Gayle did well overall, linked up well.  Should have made more of a couple of chances and of course did score a perfectly good goal.  Also might have had a chance to score again if he wasn't blatantly pushed over when almost clear on goal at the end (another amazing refereeing decision).

Agree, I'd keep him in the team.

Guest Howaythetoon

Gayle looked lively and dangerous first half. Faded badly second, but was trying to get his head on the ridiculous lofted long balls he was supplied with. Choked on Shelvey's World class ball.

This, he offers more than anyone else up front so has to keep his place.