Dwight Gayle (now playing for Hibernian)

astraguy

How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?  

657 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Dwight Gayle's contract extension?

• Delighted
    • Happy
    • Mixed emotions
    • Unhappy
    • The club is a joke

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest Howaythetoon

Gayle is not a proven goalscorer, in the Championship yes and that was for one season only. He will score goals I'm sure because he's a good finisher with an instinct for scoring. But I think he would struggle to score goals starting up top by himself with the way we now play and how the games are panning out. Unless that is we put in a playmaker behind him or get him a partner up top.

Goodness me. If only people showed as much faith in this guy as they do in Mitro and now Joselu after 3 fucking games. People, we need a squad, and him having decent competition is a positive thing, instead people are already talking about flogging him or him not being cut out for the Prem. His record is better than both our other options, FFS. The only question mark is his fitness and the psychological impact of all the injuries.

You need to give it a rest with your Mitrovic agenda like.

Rumours of possibly selling Gayle in the media today. We'd have to have someone lined up to do that. Strange to sell him. He's got an issue in believing himself that he's fully recovered from his hamstring injury. Don't see how he can pass a medical if he doesn't trust his own body.

Of all our strikers I never expected that he would be one of the possible ones we sold or would consider selling (barring a ridiculous offer).

If he is to go then it has to mean an upgrade. To sell him without any plan for an immediate replacement that offers something more would be stupid in the extreme.

That would effectively leave us with Mitrovic, Joselu and Perez? Armstrong away till January I assume... We have to have someone in the pipeline to even be considering it.

Some people constantly defend Mitro but write off Gayle?

When it comes to converting chances I back Gayle over Mitro any day.

Maybe if Gayle starts doing stupid fouls he'll get more fan support here?

More to do with the fact that having him up top alone means we struggle to keep the ball and build up any momentum.  If he doesn't convert the one or two chances he gets per game he offers very little.

David Kelly

Had same thought.

Jovetic/Joselu new Beardsley/Cole. We lost our first 2 in 1993/94 as well, including an opening day defeat to Spurs at home. We're finishing 3rd. :frantic:

That's probably one of the most depressing comparisons of our current state of affairs compared to then. Beardsley = Joselu makes me sick a little in my mouth.

David Kelly

Had same thought.

Jovetic/Joselu new Beardsley/Cole. We lost our first 2 in 1993/94 as well, including an opening day defeat to Spurs at home. We're finishing 3rd. :frantic:

That's probably one of the most depressing comparisons of our current state of affairs compared to then. Beardsley = Joselu makes me sick a little in my mouth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's been 3 games lads, of which he's played (without being fully fit) in 2.

It hasn't though has it? He's not been himself since the injury at Brentford in January.

Aye and from what Rafa has said some of it seems to be in his head, lacking confidence in his fitness. He just needs to get himself fit, nick a goal somehow if/when he comes on as sub/starts when building that fitness up and that might sort him.

Selling Gayle sounds... risky. :lol:

I do have concerns about him playing as the lone striker in our team in the PL though, I must say. I think he's good enough but only with a true #10 behind him, someone with the movement, intelligence and technique for us to build our attacks through. We don't have such a player in the squad and they're not cheap so we won't be getting one.

Always been the issue with Gayle for me, we rarely look capable of building attacks with him leading the line. He's the only goalscorer we have though.

It's been 3 games lads, of which he's played (without being fully fit) in 2.

It's what I was thinking. I think he deserves the chance to at least show he can cut it at this level, and he's only started in two games so far. Granted the concerns around his fitness record are valid, and there could be a case he isn't the best target man, but when he's fit and firing, his pace will scare defences if we can get our football right in other areas of the pitch.

He's perfect as an option from the bench in this league. Someone you can put on to use his pace when the game is stretched but under Ashley's policy, if we can get £12-15m to go towards someone Benitez could attract, I'd be all over it.

David Kelly

Had same thought.

There were 22 teams in the league those days, which I think means we're finishing 1st

He's perfect as an option from the bench in this league. Someone you can put on to use his pace when the game is stretched but under Ashley's policy, if we can get £12-15m to go towards someone Benitez could attract, I'd be all over it.

Obviously if we can upgrade for a real quality striker, we should always look to do that, but getting someone of that quality has been the issue all summer hasn't it?