Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Now looks as if December was not a blip but a sign that the pressure is getting to these players and that the squad, although decent in quantity, lacks depth in some vital positions - this has not been addressed.

Down from 7.5 to 7 now.

Think Brighton will win it. Second will be the best we can do. Need the teams below us to drop points to quell a few nerves.

This all screams 'Play-offs' and this squad is certainly not up to that challenge...1996 and all that beckons.

It's the 3 consecutive away games against Brighton/Reading/Huddersfield in February/March that worry me, we can get away with Shelvey or Gayle for 1 or 2 games against lower Championship level but if either or both missed any of them 3 I struggle to see us getting a win.

These games will determine the whole season now....bad results in them will have me moving down from today's 7 to a 6......

Got a real tough run of fixtures coming up too. If (big if) we get to the end of February and we're still in the top two we'll go up. 7 for now.

If it's of any consolation I'd back us to look better against better teams. We're woefully short against grafters who come to stifle, though.

5/10.

We won't go up via the play-offs, squad does not have the mentality. We could replay the play off final for a million years, and we'd lose each time.

We have to go up automatically.

At the minute, I'd say we have a 50% chance of doing that. We're one break of Shelvey's leg away from that not happening.

This result, or rather performance (much of it anyway), coming so close to disappointment in the transfer window is tough to take. Guess this context has knocked a point or two off people's more level-headed predictions.

My concerns are more centred around the competition's form. The old championship adage of "anyone can beat anyone in this league" doesn't seem to apply to Reading, Brighton, Huddersfield or Leeds at the minute. On 89 minutes when we were shooting ourselves in the foot yesterday Leeds were scoring the winner at Blackburn. A 4-point swing in a matter of seconds that we really could have done without.

I also think our playing staff are mentally weak and without a healthy gap will crumble under the pressure whereas the aforementioned clubs are thriving on it.

All opinions, but time will tell.

I feel totally deflated this morning and am almost at the point of thinking that there's no point in even being promoted.

I said this to my brother last night after we saw the Rafa interview.

We are both chucking it if Rafa walks in the summer and that'll be it for us until Ashley has gone.

After last nights performance and The Rafa thing I'm a 6/10 - only if we keep players fit

I feel totally deflated this morning and am almost at the point of thinking that there's no point in even being promoted.

That's where I'm at, even if we win every single game from now till the end you just know down the line, probably in the summer it will be business as usual, with a shit has been or never was manager, and Ashleys "transfer model"

I wonder if there has been any plans at all made for the possibility that we may still be playing champ football next season, think the whole club has assumed that we will get promotion, if not surely more players in the Danny Murphy mold would have been brought in to try to get us there. Rafa surely will be gone if we don't go up, probably of his own accord. The squad will need another major makeover, Anita and Gouf's contracts will not be renewed, Ritchie, Shelvey and Gayle will be wowed by PL clubs, Krul, Mbemba and Mitro are as good as gone in the summer anyway, Hayden may have drawn a few suitors too.

We really are built for getting up this season and if it doesn't happen honestly worry where this club will be for the next decade or so.