Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What would people put as the starting 11 from the two combined squads, something like:

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

Without really thinking about it that looks about it.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton did all of the above while breaking 100pts with a tubby Nolan upfront, just saying

His achievement was remarkable, I love the guy. But... there was no real pressure on him and he did have a core group of players that were very strong mentally. We lack leaders for example at current.

Nolan would walk into our team btw, an underrated player for us in many ways and a great Captain. Half that team would walk into our current team IMO. I'd certainly have a good few of them ahead of the current crop.

Also, transfer fees have changed massively since then. The going rate for a top Championship player today is 10m plus and the average Prem player 15m. Ritchie for example. Although I hink he is above average.

If you are using points as a barometer btw then Hughton is better than KK?

Definitely not, wasn't trying to use the points tally as a barometer but perhaps illustrate how well Hughton did and unappreciated he was for his efforts if we're saying Rafa's deserves more credit for this season (which he definitely does). It wasn't all roses in Hughton's era, the club was in real shambles.... as it has been for most of life  :lol:

Oh agreed, that's why I love the man so much and why he is a legend in my eyes. Not a hero, not an icon, but a legend.

I hope he takes Brighton up and keeps them up. We should never have gotten rid of him. We would easily be a comfortable top 10 Premier League club under him. Maybe that isn't enough, but under Ashley it sure is.

Guest Howaythetoon

What would people put as the starting 11 from the two combined squads, something like:

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

That would be a more than comfortable PL side, under Rafa maybe more...

Realistically Huddersfield aren't going to get past 90 points, now.

i said at the start of the season 88 would be enough for promotion and i still stand by that Huddersfield aren't getting 17 more points not with who they have left to play

Guest palnese

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

Two attacking fullbacks, two proper wingers and two proper strikers. I think not.

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

Nolan and Shelvey as a midfield pair would not function well in the Premier League, imo. I think I may prefer 2010 Jonas over Routledge as well.

Regardless of what Huddersfield and Leeds are doing, five wins will see NUFC promoted and the mission accomplished. Five wins out of seven is definitely possible, and it would be positive to finish the season in good form and hopefully take the title. In a probability sense, I would think the club's chances of promotion are around 90 percent. Huddersfield and Brighton would have to go on a great run to even make it a battle.

Oh agreed, that's why I love the man so much and why he is a legend in my eyes. Not a hero, not an icon, but a legend.

I hope he takes Brighton up and keeps them up. We should never have gotten rid of him. We would easily be a comfortable top 10 Premier League club under him. Maybe that isn't enough, but under Ashley it sure is.

100% with you

Guest Howaythetoon

I personally regard Hughton as a Toon legend. Above the likes of Beardsley for example. Following KK leaving despite my season ticket I jacked it all in and even under Hughton I attended something like 8 games that promotion season home and away, but I was still connected to the club thanks to him. The moment he was sacked for Pardew was it for me. Rafa has reeled me back in, just...

Guest Howaythetoon

Routledge was a very good player for us and a snip for what he cost. I've met the bloke too and he regards his time here highly.

I personally regard Hughton as a Toon legend. Above the likes of Beardsley for example.

You're having a laugh now, like. Hughton deserves a lot of credit for the way he dealt with an awful situation here, but fucking come on. Off the pitch he was told who to play and on it he had a tonne of leadership in the league's best side by a mile.

Guest Howaythetoon

I personally regard Hughton as a Toon legend. Above the likes of Beardsley for example.

You're having a laugh now, like. Hughton deserves a lot of credit for the way he dealt with an awful situation here, but f***ing come on. Off the pitch he was told who to play and on it he had a tonne of leadership in the league's best side by a mile.

He picked his own teams and yes he is a legend. Much more than Beardsley for example, he achieved far more for IMO.

Guest palnese

Anything other than promotion would be a monumental fuck up. We have by far the best squad and the best manager in the league by quite some distance.

Hell, finishing 2nd would be poor.

Guest Howaythetoon

If you believe that gob shite you want your head examined. In fact rumour has it one of the reasons he was sacked was because he didn't listen to the board...