Newcastle United promoted back to the Premier League

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Aye, I think people who are claiming they weren't nervous are telling porkies. I'm glad Huddersfield came off the rails because we've been struggling for form regardless of the results.

I haven't felt nervous at all this season, at least not after we beat Reading at home.

Not even at 1-0 down to Brighton with 10 mins to go ?

Guest Howaythetoon

Did we clinch promotion against Ipswich last time around?

No. It was before our game at home to Sheff Utd.

:thup:

Did we clinch promotion against Ipswich last time around?

No. It was before our game at home to Sheff Utd.

Yep, 89 points then too. Damn, that was pretty much this week that year too. FFS, wonder what point total we'd have needed to be on to be auto promoted this week. Just haven't been arsed to do the math myself - anyone done it yet?

Guest Howaythetoon

One thing I will say in regards to our competition. The pressure on NUFC to go straight back up is huge and that can take its toll and I can see it effecting some of our players and many fans. Here we have a squad that cost over 50m, a world-class manager and the name on the badge and its a given we walk this league right? Well...

We have managed that pressure magnificently and that's down to Rafa who has remained calm and focused throughout and so has his players in the main as a result.

Don't under estimate the effect pressure can have on things.

One thing I will say in regards to our competition. The pressure on NUFC to go straight back up is huge and that can take its toll and I can see it effecting some of our players and many fans. Here we have a squad that cost over 50m, a world-class manager and the name on the badge and its a given we walk this league right? Well...

We have managed that pressure magnificently and that's down to Rafa who has remained calm and focused throughout and so has his players in the main as a result.

Don't under estimate the effect pressure can have on things.

Totally agreed, if we do go up Rafa won't get the credit he deserves.

Hughton did all of the above while breaking 100pts with a tubby Nolan upfront, just saying

The sides in this year's championship are better organised IMO. There wasn't anyone half as good as Brighton last time round.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hughton did all of the above while breaking 100pts with a tubby Nolan upfront, just saying

His achievement was remarkable, I love the guy. But... there was no real pressure on him and he did have a core group of players that were very strong mentally. We lack leaders for example at current.

Nolan would walk into our team btw, an underrated player for us in many ways and a great Captain. Half that team would walk into our current team IMO. I'd certainly have a good few of them ahead of the current crop.

Also, transfer fees have changed massively since then. The going rate for a top Championship player today is 10m plus and the average Prem player 15m. Ritchie for example. Although I hink he is above average.

If you are using points as a barometer btw then Hughton is better than KK?

His achievement was remarkable, I love the guy. But... there was no real pressure on him and he did have a core group of players that were very strong mentally. We lack leaders for example at current.

Nolan would walk into our team btw, an underrated player for us in many ways and a great Captain. Half that team would walk into our current team IMO. I'd certainly have a good few of them ahead of the current crop.

Also, transfer fees have changed massively since then. The going rate for a top Championship player today is 10m plus and the average Prem player 15m. Ritchie for example. Although I hink he is above average.

:thup: Routledge was one of the best wingers in the league at the time and we got him for, what, a couple of mill at most?

What would people put as the starting 11 from the two combined squads, something like:

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

Definitely not, wasn't trying to use the points tally as a barometer but perhaps illustrate how well Hughton did and unappreciated he was for his efforts if we're saying Rafa's deserves more credit for this season (which he definitely does). It wasn't all roses in Hughton's era, the club was in real shambles.... as it has been for most of life  :lol:

What would people put as the starting 11 from the two combined squads, something like:

Harper

Yedlin

Colo

Clark

Enrique

Ritchie

Nolan

Shelvey

Routledge

Carroll

Gayle

???

MF not the most balanced even with 4-3-3 but hard to leave anyone on this list out.