Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Guest ElCid

All jokes aside I'd be really surprised if Rafa doesn't sort this out, he isn't going to go all Pardew and just keep braying his head against a brick wall as the team continues to lose.

It might take a bit of time though as we're at home the next 2 games and he still hasn't got his full squad together.

I noticed it was a joke your reply about the wake up call :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2:

Guest neesy111

Shite.

Nice to see Greg and AliGupter though.

11:17 train back surprisingly well behaved so far.

Surprised there's a train so late.

s****.

Surprised there's a train so late.

Virgin added it especially late on iirc.

Ratings:

Sels 6: Not at fault for their goal but looked shaky throughout, as he did in pre-season, made easy takes look difficult.

Janmaat 6: Caught out more times defensively than I care to remember and was Obertanesque going forward.

Lascelles 6: Not where he needed to be on several occasions, failed to properly organise the defence.

Hanley 5: Good in the air but apart from that he was bad, kept failing to clear his lines, marking was awful and looked poor in possession. (mbemba plz)

Dummett 4: Taken to school today, cant remember him winning a single challenge and ineffective as ever going forward, was taken on like he wasn't even there on various occasions (we need to consider other options)

Ritchie 6: Probably the best player on the pitch without being particularly impressive, always tried to make something happen but no movement around him and nothing to aim for in the box, should have started on the right, and IMO that was one of 3 or 4 wrong selection decisions.

Colback 3: Usual shite, absolute nothing player attacking or defending, complete waste of space.

Hayden 5: Lost possession a lot but made some good tackles and passing seems decent, had no influence on the game either way though.

Anita 4: Poor defensively and offered nothing in the new role, a mistake playing him there by all accounts (even Rafa can make mistakes)

Perez 4: Completely out of his depth, looked lost and scared of being bullied, hope he doesn't struggle with the physical side of this league.

Gayle 5: Never stopped trying but was just no match against the big lads at the back, didn't help when the tactic seemed to be pumping long balls up to him, had a couple of good chances and I like him, but we needed a focal point today and he wasn't it.

These are my reviews for today and they may seem harsh but I'm basing them strictly on this game and this game only, still plenty of time to improve and I'm sure we will but I think today was very disappointing and I hope to god things improve.

Shite.

Hope you had a good trip anyway!

Aye class, was sweating me arse off on the tube mind. Needed a sharp injection of Cornish pasty and Pepsi max to bring me round!

Not long back - second half an improvement on the first but still poor on the whole. Might have merited a draw on another night. Ritchie, Hayden and Gayle were standouts. Perez was as bad as I've seen him play; Armstrong was miles better when he came on. For all his faults (and two boneheaded fouls at a crucial time in the match), Rafa has to find a way of working Shelvey in the team IMO - performance picked up when he came on. Anita was shocking out wide but better through the middle, Colback rank even by his usual standards.

Not too disheartened by tonight with Mitro, Mbemba and Diame still to come back in and am confident that Rafa will turn it around.

People predicting unbeaten all season  :lol: :lol:

And putting actual f***ing money on it. Might as well take that money and throw it directly into the trash.

Mine was a free bet from Sky. Last time we were unbeaten at home under Hughton and lost only 4 away. With Rafa in charge and a better squad (on paper at least) the "idea" of going all season unbeaten wasn't that absurd. Hence why the bookies odds were lowish for this kind of bet.

If was only because of tonight's result that hardly anyone predicted,the unbeaten all season bet is getting pounced on.

people have got to stop falling off their fucking horses man it was a poor performance but its one game. The Championship is a long season and starting slowly would not be unexpected given how many changes we've had to the team, we need to figure out what our best 11 is.

people have got to stop falling off their fucking horses man it was a poor performance but its one game. The Championship is a long season and starting slowly would not be unexpected given how many changes we've had to the team, we need to figure out what our best 11 is.

Yeah, one game and it means nothing really. As it happens as much as I acknowledge that we were poor I also think that we were unlucky to lose. On another day one of those penalties would have been given, the keeper wouldn't have made a great save, Aarons would have connected on his chance, and the referee would have let play go on at the end when he pulled play back for the free kick despite us having the ball in the box.

I'm not saying our performance deserved a win, it didn't, but even those we were poor we didin't deserve the defeat. It honestly has to go down as one of those games where things just go against you, the shame is it was the first game when we could have done with a good start and all eyes were on us, instead of it happening midway through the season on an un-televised in midweek or 3pm on a Saturday where it could be brushed under the carpet more.

People predicting unbeaten all season  :lol: :lol:

And putting actual f***ing money on it. Might as well take that money and throw it directly into the trash.

Mine was a free bet from Sky. Last time we were unbeaten at home under Hughton and lost only 4 away. With Rafa in charge and a better squad (on paper at least) the "idea" of going all season unbeaten wasn't that absurd. Hence why the bookies odds were lowish for this kind of bet.

If was only because of tonight's result that hardly anyone predicted,the unbeaten all season bet is getting pounced on.

Yep, didn't bet personally but spot on.

Yeah, one game and it means nothing really. As it happens as much as I acknowledge that we were poor I also think that we were unlucky to lose. On another day one of those penalties would have been given, the keeper wouldn't have made a great save, Aarons would have connected on his chance, and the referee would have let play go on at the end when he pulled play back for the free kick despite us having the ball in the box.

I'm not saying our performance deserved a win, it didn't, but even those we were poor we didin't deserve the defeat. It honestly has to go down as one of those games where things just go against you, the shame is it was the first game when we could have done with a good start and all eyes were on us, instead of it happening midway through the season on an un-televised in midweek or 3pm on a Saturday where it could be brushed under the carpet more.

:thup: Precisely how I feel. Gutting, but just because we're used to getting 102 points at this level it hurts a lot.

More upset with the performance than the result really. I could have taken a one-nil loss in the first game and crossed it off as first game of the season, getting to know systems and stuff. But outside the penalty claims we were pretty abject. Rafa got too many selection decisions wrong for me and too many players didn't play up to their so called pedigree in this division. Signs are not good from the first game. Maybe blessing in disguise to insure we do more work in the transfer market.

Agree with this - I never expected a walkover in this league and would have been happy with a draw from the first away game because it takes time to gel a side when so many new faces have come in.. remember, the 92/93 side and the 2009/10 side had very few additions from the side which was relegated and were consistent from day one. However, there is no doubting the disappointment and rightly-held concern that many fans will be feeling after this game because we never looked like winning it apart from the penalty claims, one of which was outside the area anyway and another which we would have complained about had it been given against NUFC. There was a lack of creativity from m/f(Colback and Anita were dreadful, agree that Rafa cocked this up by selecting them)and the lack of physical presence up front made it easy for Fulham to break up our attacks before we got into their area.

For me, only Ritchie looked the part up front and Perez was constantly muscled out of it...Gayle disappeared after a decent start and I was dreading the corner that Fulham scored from because we have given away so many goals from set-pieces in pre-season. Much as I like Lascelles, if the side were told to zonal mark instead of man-mark, the blame for the free header must go down to him as he was the nearest CD to the player. I felt that we had lost from the ,moment they scored because we weren't looking convincing as an attacking force at all and as events proved we failed to score despite many subs.

We desperately need a creative m/f player AND a decent striker with physique...neither will come cheap and may be difficult to obtain as we have seen with Knockaert.

Vital that 3 points come from the Huddersfield game now - another defeat, especially at home, would cause a loss of confidence

both on and off the pitch.