Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

Ayoze makes the team worse imo as weird as it may sound.

Not doubting he's got technical ability, but I don't know where he plays, and how we can get the best out of him.

He is gash.... weak as shite, no heart......please wake up that this league is ugly...ugly as fook

Rafa hasnt got a clue.....i wanted to believe.

No fucking idea

Special mention for Hanley, he was absolutely terrible the same as when he came on against Southend. I really hope Rafa doesn't see him as a regular.

He wasn't terrible man, he just looked what he is, a championship bruiser centre back. He wasn't great on the ball, but he didn't do a lot wrong defensively other than start instead of Mbemba.

Guest ElCid

Assume Mbemba had a knock?

I honestly think he played Hanley because of the big striker up front but it didn't work. Rafa needs to stop putting out a team with such a defensive central midfield in away games - we were playing a Fulham team who were nearly relegated and lost their 2 best players. It's gone now but I am pissed off at why and how anyone can put Anita and Colback together in the same midfield. No doubt it will be changed next week though and the right team put out - I hope anyway.

Aarons came on quite early for Colback, so that is a good sign that Rafa was disgusted with Colback. Long may that be the case. Seems Colback was stroppy about it too. Honestly the nerve of that guy man. In his mind does he think he is actually playing well?!

Thoughts on Aarons? He had a decent amount of time to make an impact, but it didn't really happen.

I think Rafa got the selection all wrong tonight and hopefully he doesn't make the same mistake again. Anita on the right, Colback on the team sheet and Aarons on the bench were all baffling and they ultimately cost us.

I haven't been as over the top about Colback as some others on here but fuck me, he was awful tonight. He should be fined for a performance like that. Hopefully Rafa has a strong word with Perez as well because he looked a shadow of himself as well.

Aarons came on quite early for Colback, so that is a good sign that Rafa was disgusted with Colback. Long may that be the case. Seems Colback was stroppy about it too. Honestly the nerve of that guy man. In his mind does he think he is actually playing well?!

Thoughts on Aarons? He had a decent amount of time to make an impact, but it didn't really happen.

We never got the ball to the left side in the 2nd half until Shelvey came on so it meant all of Aarons' touches were facing our own goal which really didn't help. Shame he didn't connect with that shot and his cross didn't loop to someone on the back post

disagree that Fulham deserved their win.  they won b/c they were smacking the ball out of the air numerous times, otherwise it's a score draw at least.  not saying we deserved to win either, but ffs when you can't get a fair call from the ref that often, it affects things...

Decent summary here.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/fulham-vs-newcastle-united-match-report-rafael-benitezs-side-taught-lesson-in-championship-football-a7175181.html

Rafael Benitez surprised many when he decided to stay as Newcastle United manager, but no-one could accuse him of lacking ambition. This first game back for the new domestic season, a first dip into the muddy waters of Championship football, showed Benitez just how hard it will be dragging this club out of this league.

This was the perfect way to open the new season, a curtain-raiser to rival the Olympics. Two big teams, under lights, playing in a loud ground for of fans desperately relieved that the football was back. It was also a perfect Championship game: frantic, hectic, intense, and settled by a header from a corner. This is why people love the Championship, but it is a very different type of football from the Premier League. And here, in their first try, Newcastle could not get a handle on it.

Of course no-one should jump to conclusions on 5 August. As Slavisa Jokanovic pointed out afterwards there are still 135 points left to play for. But Jokanovic’s side looked more ready and better equipped for the season than Newcastle did here. Given the disparity in resources between the two clubs, that is damning.

What Fulham showed here is that at this level games are not decided by the best manager or even the best players. They are won by the team that has a plan, some grit, enough luck and the basic bravery to ride out the ups and downs of a Championship match. That is what Fulham showed, and Jokanovic praised how his players had “suffered” on the pitch, running themselves into the ground even when Newcastle were on top. When things got difficult for Benitez’s side they just froze.

Fulham played the only game they were ever going to play: chasing everything, snapping into tackles and hitting long balls to Matt Smith when they had to. Newcastle should have been prepared for this. But while their supporters sounded desperate for the football to return, the players did not. They looked like schoolboys who had failed to revise for the exam that had been in the diary for months.

This was a brisk and unforgiving education in the reality of Championship football. There was no time on the ball and precious little space. Newcastle players were trying to take extra touches they had no right to. And a limited Fulham team were running them into trouble.

Newcastle only had one real opening in a poor first half, when Ryan Tunnicliffe handled a Matt Ritchie cross. Simon Hooper did not award a penalty, but even that was the closest Newcastle got to scoring all night.

Fulham did not create many more chances, but they scored from a set-piece just before the break. Tom Cairney took an out-swinging corner from the left, the Newcastle marking collapsed, and Matt Smith was gleefully free to head the ball in. It was the type of simple preventable goal that decides matches at this level.

Newcastle slightly improved in the second half, but not by much and not by enough. They did at least create one real chance, when Vurnon Anita bounded down the left and pulled the ball back to Ritchie, who shot straight at David Button.

The rest of the second half saw Newcastle dominate possession,  although never good enough to create chances. Benitez threw on Rolando Aarons, Jonjo Shelvey and Adam Armstrong, none of them able to make a difference. Newcastle needed a real threat up front, a plan, or even just some confidence or fluency to get them going. But they had none of that at all. They could never get a real foothold in the game.

Benitez took the defeat on the chin but he knows better than anyone how far his team are from the standard required. They have plenty of time, but need to start making the most of it.

Set pieces are the killer like. Last time we were down we were fucking mint at them. This time we are coming down after being utterly shite at them for god knows how long at both ends.

Set pieces are the killer like. Last time we were down we were f***ing mint at them. This time we are coming down after being utterly s**** at them for god knows how long at both ends.

Feels like for as long as I can remember since Robert and Solano 90% of our corners don't even get past the first man. No idea why Ritchie didn't take one tonight except that short one.

Set pieces are the killer like. Last time we were down we were f***ing mint at them. This time we are coming down after being utterly s**** at them for god knows how long at both ends.

Feels like for as long as I can remember 90% of our corners don't even get past the first man. No idea why Ritchie didn't take one tonight except that short one.

Totally barmy. His delivery is Robert in style and therefore fucking perfect for set pieces either side too. Also, you seem to forgetting the big Willy years of what seemed like forever.