Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

I think the pressure got to some of the players, with that build-up of how we were odds-on favourites to win the league. Fulham weren't that good but they did at times play with more freedom.

Gayle did well in the sense of making the best of some difficult, isolated situations that he found himself in. Ayoze carried on his bad form from last season. He's trying to do something dramatic every time he gets the ball.

Despite the fact that we were trying to play the ball on the deck a lot of the time, we rarely worked the ball into the space between their defence and midfield. The link between centre mid and attack wasn't really there, and maybe Diame will improve that. The build-up was usually quite deliberate so their defence was able to block our chances when they came.

On another day, we could have had two pens and the opposition would have been down to 10 men after 20 minutes. But the ref wasn't strong enough to punish the home team, and that's what we might come across again in this division.

We (mainly Colback) again conceded too many soft free kicks in what should have been non threatening positions inside our own half. We again conceded from a set piece and again conceded just before HT, last season all over. We were again too slow in our build making us easier to become organised against and we still need creativity in central midfield. Shelvey should be that player but it seems apparent he's not going to be, both Anita and Colback need the boot leaving Hayden and Diame neither of who are creative.

I know there is still talk of Knockaert but imo we need a creative midfield player and another striker more than another wide player. Perez wasn't at the races last night and Gayle doesn't look like he will be effective up top by himself.

All in all, worrying.

I was trying to look for positives after the game last but I'm more mad than anything else this morning, hopefully the players are the same.

The mackems seem to be outdoing themselves on social media since as well.

Guest reefatoon

Hanley seems to be getting a lot of stick, but for me he was the better player of the two centrebacks. Lascelles was shocking last night.

Yep. Hope we're not going to be 'black and white' in our thinking though, and go straight from idealisation of Rafa and unrealistic 'sow's ear to silk purse' optimism to he doesn't know what he's doing, it is all shite. First loss out the way, at Fulham (quell surprise) let's crack on with the task at hand.

Could we please take Ayoze off taking set pieces please? Absolutely horrible delivery. That corner when Ritchie played it short to him was a complete cluster-fuck.

And don't let Shelvey take it either.

The players couldn't handle the pressure of a relegation battle last season and last night played like they couldn't handle the pressure of being favourites to win the league... Seriously they need to find some balls from somewhere or piss off, it's a game of football not a life or death situation, just play with freedom without thinking man! Do you want to play at the highest level or not because going off that performance if Man Utd or Arsenal suddenly came in for any of our players they'd turn around and say 'thanks for the offer but no I don't fancy playing on a stage as big as that, what with the pressure and all... '.

Guest firetotheworks

I'm gutted by the result but I'm surprised by the reaction on here. We had, imo, two stonewall penalties and created enough strong chances despite playing pretty poorly to get a draw at least. There are plenty of positives to take despite the defeat.

I'm gutted by the result but I'm surprised by the reaction on here. We had, imo, two stonewall penalties and created enough strong chances despite playing pretty poorly to get a draw at least. There are plenty of positives to take despite the defeat.

It's N-O, man. :lol:

Can't get over this 'Wake up call' bollocks from JL and Rafa tbqh.

Complete football cliche shite.

A fucking wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the fucking team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

A 'wake up call' might be Hanley or someone getting skinned in the premiership. A wake up call might be when the standard is such a shock.

Call it what it was, Rafa got it wrong, the application was wrong and the set pieces were a complete joke.

Fucking Wake up call.

What are they waking up to?

Hanley, Lascelles, Colback, Hayden, Gayle, Ritchie have played that level of football before FFS.

Guest firetotheworks

It's N-O, man. [emoji38]

Anah, but I wrongly assumed that there was a limit and that common sense would kick in with some people. Some people are being a bit hysterical like.

Complete football cliche s****.

A f***ing wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the f***ing team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

A 'wake up call' might be Hanley or someone getting skinned in the premiership. A wake up call might be when the standard is such a shock.

Call it what it was, Rafa got it wrong, the application was wrong and the set pieces were a complete joke.

f***ing Wake up call.

Hanley, Lascelles, Colback, Hayden, Gayle, Ritchie have played that level of football before FFS.

I suppose they're waking up to the mistakes you have pointed out?

A f***ing wake up call? It's the first game in a league where half the f***ing team have played before, some of them have played more at that level than any other.

f***ing Wake up call.

I think last night being described as a wake up call is a fair comment, some of out players looked as if they just had to turn up and they would go home with the points.

f***ing Wake up call.

I think last night being described as a wake up call is a fair comment, some of out players looked as if they just had to turn up and they would go home with the points.

But why though? Over half of them have played at that level before.

It's surely not a shock that it's vaguely competitive?

f***ing Wake up call.

I suppose they're waking up to the mistakes you have pointed out?

It was no different at Southampton away at the end of last season but I didn't see anyone calling that a 'wake up call'.

But why though? Over half of them have played at that level before.

It's surely not a shock that it's vaguely competitive?

They're the clear favourites to go up and virtually every person who comments on us are saying that we're miles better than the other teams in the league, I think the players have believed the hype and will now know they have to work harder.

f***ing Wake up call.

You should never go into any match with that kind of attitude. It shows a lack of professionalism and a lack of respect to your opponents.

I don't think there was a lack of effort or a bad attitude, it was just a rank bad performance.