Fulham 1 - 0 Newcastle United - 05/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 40

Dave

My concern is Rafa says he's spoken to other managers who advised the sort of player he needs for the championship so he's gone out and bought championship players.  The problem as I see it is last time we went up we had mainly epl players and we smashed the league.  Buying championship players just dumbs  down the team and at best puts us on a par with the opposition rather than being superior in all departments.

What a strange post. 10 out of the 11 last night were premiership players.

The problem is having to play Anita on the right wing and colback anywhere.

Michael gray man 😩

He's your typical Mackem. Can't be objective when discussing NUFC. Just sly little digs throughout which even the presenters picked up on. Won't be watching next week if that little prick is on. Compare with Shearer who even the mackems admit always gives an honest opinion on sunderland.

I don't think it has anything to do with the players, the manager had a shocker. All of you, please go back to page one of this thread and look at the line up, nobody expected that line up and tbh it is very negative. It reminded me of Pardew (baulk!).

Rafa made a huge mistake as far as I am concerned, we had various players on the pitch that had no reson to be there. Any other manager apart from Rafa and they would have got slated... He fu~~~'## up, that simple!

Next match let's start with the players who looked decent in pre-season and get some more attacking fret (baulk) such as aarons on the pitch from the start.

We got beaten through a set piece, which can be looked at either positively or negatively depending on which way the wind is blowing.

I hope Rafa mixes the match selection up next week, I want to see aarons/mbemba and don't want to see anita/colback/dummet...

Watched the first half back and we were better than I remembered, tbh. Shape-wise we were very decent, you could see we've worked on that. You could also see we've not spent a lot of time on the attacking side. We had some key new attackers and the lack of understanding was evident. The passes in behind for Gayle weren't too bad but mids didn't always read his runs as well as they should have. Hayden's longer balls were good, Colback largely booted his straight out, the bellend. One should've been a great chance, Perez's touch was just so bad. Him and Anita were massive drains on our play, tbh, breaking moves down in promising areas.

Attacking shape was also good but you could see too many players over-thinking in the moments play needed speeding up, often then taking the safer route. I was critical of going longer but it was good to mix play up and Gayle did well what he had (he was generally very tidy, tbh), he just lacked the right support from Ayoze. I think Ayoze's shunting about from position to position has really hindered him, he doesn't seem to know how to play as a 10 very well, he vacates that key space in front of the defence far too often and that's where you want him most. It might've been tactics but he seemed to want to hit the channels too often, for me, meaning we had nobody to link in the middle. I don't think it was an intentional move, as neither deeper midfielder ever seemed to attempt to go there instead and neither wide player tucked in. Bit of a crossroads moment for Perez, IMO, he's either got to cement himself as a wide forward or learn to be a 10. He certainly has the technique, not sure he has the knowledge or mentality for the latter.

I don't mind us going possession but it needs work and the right balance; everything was pretty decent up until the final third. You could tell we were a technically better side but we just haven't figured out how to make it tick.

As for the second half, lack of CB to drive out with the ball and lack of midfielder that could turn a player and break lines stunted us. Some nice moves but too many poor deliveries too - I'm assuming that was some competitive rustiness. Lost positional disicipline towards the end, which was a shame. If we'd kept up the shape when Fulham were tired and we had more attacking players on, we might have got something.

Anyone mentioned Hanley's yellow card? Thick as pig shit

Shades of Saylor about it. :lol:

Kinda understand - it was just to slow the game down so he could get back in position. Will reserve judgement and see how often he feels the need to do it.

Watched the first half back and we were better than I remembered, tbh. Shape-wise we were very decent, you could see we've worked on that. You could also see we've not spent a lot of time on the attacking side. We had some key new attackers and the lack of understanding was evident. The passes in behind for Gayle weren't too bad but mids didn't always read his runs as well as they should have. Hayden's longer balls were good, Colback largely booted his straight out, the bellend. One should've been a great chance, Perez's touch was just so bad. Him and Anita were massive drains on our play, tbh, breaking moves down in promising areas.

Attacking shape was also good but you could see too many players over-thinking in the moments play needed speeding up, often then taking the safer route. I was critical of going longer but it was good to mix play up and Gayle did well what he had (he was generally very tidy, tbh), he just lacked the right support from Ayoze. I think Ayoze's shunting about from position to position has really hindered him, he doesn't seem to know how to play as a 10 very well, he vacates that key space in front of the defence far too often and that's where you want him most. It might've been tactics but he seemed to want to hit the channels too often, for me, meaning we had nobody to link in the middle. I don't think it was an intentional move, as neither deeper midfielder ever seemed to attempt to go there instead and neither wide player tucked in. Bit of a crossroads moment for Perez, IMO, he's either got to cement himself as a wide forward or learn to be a 10. He certainly has the technique, not sure he has the knowledge or mentality for the latter.

I don't mind us going possession but it needs work and the right balance; everything was pretty decent up until the final third. You could tell we were a technically better side but we just haven't figured out how to make it tick.

No wonder we got beat if we had a 40 year old school teacher playing.

Lascelles saying it might not be the worst thing in the world, a kick up the arse. Can't disagree.

When Reading set the Championship points record they lost their first game of the season. I also think it was 1-0.

No. It was 1-2 at home to Plymouth.