Newcastle United 4 - 1 Reading - 17/08/16 - Post-match reaction from page 38

Disco

Think I'm still bitter about Hasselbaink and Morten Gamst Pedersen scoring handball goals against us in the last decade or so

Swear f***ing Pedersen did it twice too. Forrins, man, they don't follow the rules. :rant:

I thought he did it twice too or that shit striker they had called  Paul Gallagher or something doing it one year

:thup: Boxing Day. Chopra had one disallowed. The 'Rolls Royce' quote from Shepherd came the next day, I think.

Sels - couple of dodgy moments. the parry straight to the opposition and a couple of awful clearances.

Anita - looks like he'd been told to hold his position as he rarely bombed on even when space opened

Clark - poor

Mbemba - much better

Dummett - not a good game

the back four in general first half were poor. opposition often just jogging through and not being tracked - the build up to their penalty was direl.

Ritchie - class apart. knew he was gonna score the pella as soon as grabbed the ball once the ref had pointed to the spot.

Shelvey - again better but needed to work harder when not in position.

Gouf - nowt silly and nowt special - decent half chance first half.

Hayden - starting to step up and getting up to speed.

Perez - starting to look a little more lively.

Gayle - at last some movement from him.

Ref - who the hell gave Gayle's handball? Ref didnt flag, and ref initially gave the goal, i'm sure.

also should have given Reading 2 yellows before he finally did start getting his cards out.

Couldn't believe the ref didn't give a yellow for their midfielder absolutely cleaning out Ayoze from behind in the first half, was a horrible tackle

thats the one that really had everyone stunned - even worse than the one on ritchie against huddersfield that went uncarded.

Couldn't believe the ref didn't give a yellow for their midfielder absolutely cleaning out Ayoze from behind in the first half, was a horrible tackle

thats the one that really had everyone stunned - even worse than the one on ritchie against huddersfield that went uncarded.

Bobby Madley's shitter brother, no surprise the decisions were all over the place. Strap in for a whole season of similar.

How was that barge on Gayle in the second half not a pen by the way  :lol:

Unreal that mind, if there were no penalties at that point he would have given it

Wouldn't. Refs hate giving pens when the ball isn't close by. It was a pen but it would never be given.

Louise Taylor was not impressed with Shelvey in her match report and said he was 'disappointing'. She watches a  different game to everyone else

No she's just a bitter Mackem bitch.

moist for pards

So I believe this would be a good end of the weekend for you all.

Yes, thank you Jo. Though now I'm jealous of long Portuguese weekends so I'm off to listen to some Fado and depress myself again  ;)

Long portuguese weekends? Only 2 days.

About Fado, I could use some too. I got really happy with our EURO win, but now I'm depressing like hell since we couldn't get an Olympic medal in football.

O0 Win first major international trophy and then depressed about Olympics... It's a good job you're not an England/Newcastle fan you may not have made it through the Summer!

NUFC will do fine. Easy promotion and maybe a word to be said in the FA Cup.

Louise Taylor was not impressed with Shelvey in her match report and said he was 'disappointing'. She watches a  different game to everyone else

No she's just a bitter Mackem bitch.

I thought he was fairly poor for the best part of the game and looked gassed again after 20mins.

Was at the game tonight, improvement all round but still quite a few mistakes all over the pitch particularly at the back, the difference today was that we were much better in central midfield and we pressed from front to back from early on, the players individually looked far more up for it as well barring the odd one or two, my ratings are:

Sels 5- Poor distribution, parried a soft shot right into the path of an oncoming Reading player and generally continues to look shaky as fuck for me. Not keen, rating may be harsh but that's really all he had to do and he didn't do it well.

Anita 6- A really good opening 20 minutes attacking wise, was linking up well with Ritchie which he became less and less of a thing as the game went on, really poor positionally at the back though and was caught out quite often, but no worse than Janmaat.

Mbemba 7- Good solid display, looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet, solid in the air and didn't really put a foot wrong all night, some nice play in advanced positions too.

Clark 6- Gave away the penalty, beaten often in the air and seemed to keep getting mixed up with Sels and Dummett in terms of who was going for what, seems decent with the ball at his feet though which was nice, and had a better overall performance than Lascelles did in his first two matches.

Dummett 6- Awful as ever going forward, provided absolutely nothing, made some decent tackles though but pretty poor positionally like Anita, caught out more than once.

Ritchie 8- Had an excellent game, was our most dangerous player going forward as you would expect, took the pen well and was a constant thorn in Readings side, tidy on the ball and off it. Grafted so hard too, like him a lot.

Hayden 6- Scored and his passing was generally tidy, but the jury still out on him, think he will turn into a decent player but doesn't look the finished article to me, definitely got something about him though, seems to hang on to the ball too long though and lost out a few times because of this (could also be our poor movement at times)

Shelvey 9- (MOTM) By far the best performance I've seen of him in our colours, was everywhere from the moment the whistle blew, was chasing lost causes, was winning the ball back and getting stuck right in and his passing was far better and was making things happen, think Rafa may have had a word and hope he can continue to reach these heights. Most will probably say Ritchie was MOTM and he was close but Shelvey took that for me.

Gouffran 6- A better than usual performance from him, worked tirelessly defensively and was tidy in possession, didn't really do anything with the ball but surprisingly linked up well with Gayle, think we should keep him as a squad player tbh, will do a job in this league even on the wing as some anticipated.

Perez 5- Another poor display from this one, didn't want to know from the start, barely made runs, was at times stood on the spot unwilling to help out or make himself available and just generally looked poor and out of his depth, starting to think he just isn't that good I'm afraid, nothing about him whatsoever at the moment, could be down to form, who knows.

Gayle 8- Excellent performance all round, held up the ball, linked up well with the wingers, scored two goals, couldn't ask much more really, was up and challenging for every header and even managed to win some he had no business getting to really, very impressed and Ayoze could learn a thing or two from the effort Gayle put in to that.

He wasn't great but don't think he looked tired either.  He was still sticking his foot in/closing people down in the second half.  Also played some good early passes, particularly a free kick on the second half where he put Gayle (?) clean through, unfortunately he'd gone slightly too early and was offside.

Good result, bang average performance. Don't understand why when we concede a corner / free kick we pack the box with 10 men. It leaves no options - even to just howk it into no mans land. Everytime it just came straight back. Rather churlish but fucking annoying.

Was at the game tonight, improvement all round but still quite a few mistakes all over the pitch particularly at the back, the difference today was that we were much better in central midfield and we pressed from front to back from early on, the players individually looked far more up for it as well barring the odd one or two, my ratings are:

Mbemba 7- Good solid display, looked very comfortable with the ball at his feet, solid in the air and didn't really put a foot wrong all night, some nice play in advanced positions too.

Perez 5- Another poor display from this one, didn't want to know from the start, barely made runs, was at times stood on the spot unwilling to help out or make himself available and just generally looked poor and out of his depth, starting to think he just isn't that good I'm afraid, nothing about him whatsoever at the moment, could be down to form, who knows.

Don't agree on those two, Mbemba did ok and was certainly the best defender there, but he made a couple of silly mistakes that could have caused us real problems.  Perez was chasing down the defence/keeper as much as Gayle and running in behind.  Unfortunately a lot of passes to him where lumped up in the air, he does look out of form, but I can't say he looked like he wasn't trying or out of his depth.

Don't agree on those two, Mbemba did ok and was certainly the best defender there, but he made a couple of silly mistakes that could have caused us real problems.  Perez was chasing down the defence/keeper as much as Gayle and running in behind.  Unfortunately a lot of passes to him where lumped up in the air, he does look out of form, but I can't say he looked like he wasn't trying or out of his depth.

Fair play everyone sees what they see but I don't understand how you can say Perez was trying, he never pressed the game once and it was evident because he was only one not actually doing it, I don't rate him as such anyway but regardless I was shocked at how bad and disinterested he actually looked.

Prime example was when Gayle was doubled up on right on the corner spot and Perez was standing about 20 yards away for the entire time he was battling and didn't make himself available, it was shocking and wasn't the only instance of this.

Gayle is as small if not smaller and goes up for absolutely every ball, Perez barely makes an effort and his feet rarely leave the ground, it might be cliche but the championship will be completely out of his depth if he doesn't learn to get stuck in to the game.

Mbemba was much better with the ball, bringing it out and we need that with teams sitting back against us. Huddersfield had 10 in their own half and one just inside ours when we had a goal kick ....we still had Shelvey coming back to get the ball off the back 4 about 30yds out.