DeAndre Yedlin (now playing for Inter Miami)

Ameritoon

Guest alijmitchell

Another one who doesn't really pass the quality test. Not bad, just not great.

None of our players are “great”, but he’s clearly a PL-quality fullback who’s only going to improve.

I mean, he's far down on the list of worries, but he is in my opinion, bang on lower premier league standard, which is exactly where we are. He's just infuriatingly shit in the final third

to be totally fair to him on his crossing, when your striker is nowhere near the penalty area and the only man to aim for is perhaps the smallest player in the PL on the back stick, it's hardly surprising he was a little off last night. Still not great but for me he's been an excellent buy, I can only really think of one game where he's been poor (Ipswich away last season) which is a good sign for any player.

He needs to work on his crossing, but he’s hardly s*** in the final third.

To be fair Ritchie's crossing was just as bad yesterday as was Atsu's on the other side. Let's be honest the ball was like a hot potato for most of the players yesterday (and a few other games) even Shelvey who was the pick of the bunch wasted quite a few balls.

Another one who doesn't really pass the quality test. Not bad, just not great.

None of our players are “great”, but he’s clearly a PL-quality fullback who’s only going to improve.

I mean, he's far down on the list of worries, but he is in my opinion, bang on lower premier league standard, which is exactly where we are. He's just infuriatingly s*** in the final third

Is he though? I mean yeah, he was shit in the final third yesterday but since he's arrived I would say he has been more effective in that area of the pitch than most of our recent full backs. I actually think he's improved greatly since he arrived (yesterday aside).

Was thinking last night I wonder if he is the quickest player to have played for us.If you put all NUFC players, past or present in their prime, in a hypothetical 100m race I wonder if Yedlin would win or if it might be Martins, Obertan, Bellamy, Sissoko, Dummett (:shifty:) or someone obvious I'm missing.

It was more fun to think of that than his attacking performance last night.

Guest firetotheworks

Martins might have been fast but I never felt like we really got to see it tbh. The ridiculous hype of his Pro Evo 99 acceleration and 99 top speed didn't help his cause in real life, but he rarely exploited anyone with his pace. He might not have been as fast, but Kieran Dyer when we first signed him was the best I can remember for us when it came to using his pace effectively.

Gillespie and Glass were two others.

Robert was fast at full pelt... that team was quick. Specially when Jenas started coming in for Speed.

Definitely. We had great mobility in midfield back then.

On the subject of Yedlin, raw at times but overall he’s great. Good enough technically for this level and a brilliant athlete. If we’re gonna replace players I’d rather leave the pacey ones well alone for now, it’s an area we need more not less of

Guest alijmitchell

If he's infuriatingly s*** I dread to think what our other fullbacks are in the final third  :lol:

Erm, also infuriatingly shit in the final third? I think we offer very little in terms of attack from these positions. Like I said, I'm not a hater, there's plenty he can do, just that he's not really a good quality rb IMO

• 3 weeks later...