Christian Atsu (1992–2023)

Kaizero

I don't understand why people would argue over signings when it's Rafa making them like, as if they know better :lol:

There'll be a few duds like last year, but f*** knows who. Clark was absolutely slaughtered and ended up being the best defender in the league :lol:

This^

Why can't people just trust Rafa?

Aye, basically he's an upgrade on Sammy, and arguably Gouffran who will both probably be offloaded for the majority (combined) of Atsu's fee.

He wont be a regular starter, unless he hits/maintains a purple patch of form, which will benefit us anyway.

The fee isn't that huge in todays terms, so if he doesn't do much, I suspect we'll be able to get the bulk of the fee back if we want to move him on.

Can Tsunami f*** back off to the 1990's the absolute dinosaur.

Show me where I've advocated any support for the long ball game. If Atsu plays all season with either Anita or Yedlin at full back then we'll be in for a long long season. People have either not been to the actual games or played to any standard if they can't or simply don't want to understand my point. Either way looks like he's signing so  we'll see.

In Rafa we trust.

Nothing wrong with giving your opinion on something tbh, it's a forum after all.

Doesn't mean you don't ultimately trust Rafa overall, I have had concerns on a lot of transfers but I still trust Rafa completely.

Yeah, and it's not as though Rafa has never made a mistake in the transfer market before.

I believe in Rafa's judgment but no one can get it 100% spot on.

Show me where I've advocated any support for the long ball game. If Atsu plays all season with either Anita or Yedlin at full back then we'll be in for a long long season. People have either not been to the actual games or played to any standard if they can't or simply don't want to understand my point. Either way looks like he's signing so  we'll see.

Why are you talking about Anita?

Because Championship teams have been hitting long diagonal balls attacking our right hand side having identified it as a weakness and to be fair they've had some fairly cheap success as a result. There's people on here making smart arse comments who believe that Atsu is 5ft 8 and therefore isn't that small and that a combination of him in front of Anita/ Yedlin would be fine in the PL. To me that would be inviting trouble.

Anyway looks like he's signing, hopefully as back up (unless we strengthen behind him and he progresses) but I just hope that the 6M we spend doesn't stop us buying quality down the line.

Wish I could fuck off back to the '90's, I had a great time.

The thing is, it's one thing to give an opinion on the player, it's another to flat out just say that we shouldn't buy said player when Rafa thinks we should.

Sels, Lazaar & Gamez were poor transfers, but that doesn't mean we were wrong to buy them. Benitez and his team obviously saw something in them (like they saw in Gayle & Clark), it just never worked out for whatever reason.

He's spent a year with Atsu so he'll know him better than most players outside the club, if he thinks he's worth it I'm going to find it very hard to question.

Because Championship teams have been hitting long diagonal balls attacking our right hand side having identified it as a weakness and to be fair they've had some fairly cheap success as a result. There's people on here making smart arse comments who believe that Atsu is 5ft 8 and therefore isn't that small and that a combination of him in front of Anita/ Yedlin would be fine in the PL. To me that would be inviting trouble.

Anyway looks like he's signing, hopefully as back up (unless we strengthen behind him and he progresses) but I just hope that the 6M we spend doesn't stop us buying quality down the line.

Anita won't here next season though.

It's hardly people questioning Rafa if they are against this signing tbh. We've all seen him play throughout the season and it's hard to disagree with those saying hasn't been great. I would have preferred someone else, but as long as he is only used as backup then there are no real issues, however if he is our first choice winger come August then we will struggle.

He would have known Atsu from his brief spell at Chelsea as well, so he must be very familiar with him now and probably why he asked about the loan deal at the start of last season.

It's hardly people questioning Rafa if they are against this signing tbh. We've all seen him play throughout the season and it's hard to disagree with those saying hasn't been great. I would have preferred someone else, but as long as he is only used as backup then there are no real issues, however if he is our first choice winger come August then we will struggle.

By saying he's wrong to sign him? I'm not on the Rafa defensive or out like :lol:

There's just no way any of us can say with any confidence that he's a poor signing when arguably the best manager we've ever had thinks it isn't, it's a proper oxymoron. Obviously Atsu won't be a regular starter unless he improves, the only way that will happen is if Ashley fucks us over again and fails to bring in the top winger we obviously need - us bringing in a 1st choice left winger shouldn't have any correlation with this signing though.

That's exactly what I was referring to about being downtrodden under Ashley. People are so used to the penny pinching that it's become normal to worry about every single signing.

Obviously nobody wants to waste money but there's no way that spending £6m should stop anything, it's a pittance.

Atsu is nowhere near 172cm. You have to absolutely exceptional in every other area to make up for this. Have people not seen what Championship sides have done to us down our right? If we are going to settle for this type of signing we've got problems. Does anyone think that Atsu in front of Anita at fullback would be acceptable?

Did Atsu even play in that many games where he was done for height on the wing? What a weird observation for a winger.

Aye let's worry about our wingers height.

If I have one major criticism of Atsu is that he doesn't run at his full back enough. Hes got all the pace and skill to beat them but seems to lose focus on what he's good at. He often ends up going sideways or cutting in onto his weaker foot.

Other than that he's a solid signing. I can't see the need for Gouffran because I think we all agree we need at least one more wide flair player.

Good stuff. Happy for the player as much as anyone. Applied himself well and earned his first proper contract where he'll have the chance to settle and develop under a great manager.

Good stuff. Happy for the player as much as anyone. Applied himself well and earned his first proper contract where he'll have the chance to settle and develop under a great manager.

Yup. If nowt else, he's proved himself to be a good egg and player to have around the changing room otherwise he would've been fucked off post haste.