Would you ever consider forgiving Ashley in the future if success is brought?

HaydnNUFC
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

At this stage i can never imagine forgiving him for the rot that set into the club during his time here. We will be so lucky to get out of this mess if Rafa can get us promoted and bring us stability in the PL - something we have never achieved under Ashleys regime. Across his time in ownership we have been so inconsistent.

I will admit I'm a relatively young mag (aged 27 - my first game was Juve in '98) but how i have felt about nufc over recent years definitely is up there with some the most despondent, oppressive feelings i have felt generally about something i care about.

At this stage i can never imagine forgiving him for the rot that set into the club during his time here. We will be so lucky to get out of this mess if Rafa can get us promoted and bring us stability in the PL - something we have never achieved under Ashleys regime. Across his time in ownership we have been so inconsistent.

I will admit I'm a relatively young mag (aged 27 - my first game was Juve in '98) but how i have felt about nufc over recent years definitely is up there with some the most despondent, oppressive feelings i have felt generally about something i care about.

I'm 31 mate and feel much the same, it was eventually total apathy that enveloped me. I'm still nowhere near as emotionally invested as I was, not sure I ever will be tbh, while he remains owner anyway.

Ashley, like any other person, will only deserve forgiveness for past 'sins' as long as he is as good as his word and 'repents'...this does not necessarily mean spending all his fortune to buy players but by letting Rafa get on with the job and backing him as far as is possible in both the transfer market and club policy decided by the manager on the playing side.

Nobody knows what Ashley really thinks but nobody will care as long as he oversees a constant improvement in the club's fortunes under what everyone knows is a great manager - winning a trophy(and the FA Cup should be a major target after regaining PL status)would give the club a huge lift and maybe even whet Ashley's appetite for more of the same. There is no question that many fans would forget some of the past wrongs if things improve....however, any sign of backsliding or interference in Rafa's running of things, including refusal to back reasonable signings after promotion is obtained, would mean hostilities resumed big-style. If Rafa was to walk after a major dispute, Ashley would see that his last chance of making a success of NUFC would have gone out of the window and the club would fall into a long period of decline until he sold to a more ambitious owner - all of this is in his own hands.

If you think Ashley is bad where were you guys when the club was being run by the likes of the one eyed pirate Lord Westwood, and later on that dodgy lawyer McKeag.  Ashley is a breath of fresh air compared to them.

True to a large extent although even Westwood & Co didn't get the club relegated twice in 7 years...!

Ashley is hardly a breath of fresh air but he has more money than McKeag & Westwood...neither he nor they can yet approach the way the club was run between 1992 and 1997 when Sir John Hall and  KK were in charge.

We were a second tier team for around a third of Westwood's reign. Also when we were relegated in that era (twice) we stayed down: four seasons and then six seasons, in division 2.  The latter stint going beyond Westwood's reign.

Is this Ashley's tenth season??(kin hell) thus far he's overseen 2 of these in the lower tier (and counting). Despite all their pomp and self-importance, people like Westwood and McKeag (both of their father's had also been chairman, I think) were incredibly small time compared to Ashley. Did Westwood not step down in the (early 80s) because he wasn't able/willing to stump-up £20k towards a  transfer kitty?

So two relegations looks bad, as does so much else about what has happened to us in the last decade, but I'm actually quite glad we're no longer a two penny-halfpenny club run by snobby locally-born silver-spoons/posh-boys. A Hall or Shepherd type is probably best ( or a UAE oil billionaire with good values!) but it has been worse.

He's still a cunt. He wants the financial gains that the Premiership brings and is doing what he feels necessary to get that back. If we do achieve that status again and he invests in the manager and team to be more than just existing there for the money, then all well and good.

My suspicion is he won't, but that he'll just invest enough to keep us there. He's not doing the right thing now out of any love for Newcastle United that's for sure. 

Nobody needs to love the club. Owner, manager or player. Nice if they do. Forgiveness is a partially loaded term in that it often gets mixed up with a perceived need to forget. That would be sheer folly imo. Like Dave said, praise him on his merits. When his merits vastly outweigh the sins, then the time is to have that conversation, if at all.

Only other thing Ashley claimed was any type of trophy or finishing in the champion's league places would see him see his tenure as a success, and then he would walk away.

Reading between the lines, we're never gonna win anything.

Was clearly a load of bollocks.

Only other thing Ashley claimed was any type of trophy or finishing in the champion's league places would see him see his tenure as a success, and then he would walk away.

Reading between the lines, we're never gonna win anything.

Was clearly a load of bollocks.

Bastard! And here's me hoping winning the championship title would be classed as a trophy, and bye bye Mike :huff:

I dont think i ever could, he dragged the club and the fans down to the bottom with his crass stupidty and arrogance.

My hope is the club can get back in the premiership, Ashley allows Rafa to stablize the club and move forward.  With the daft money flying about it might actually lead to Ashley getting his price for NUFC and leaving.

If that does happen it would still bother me immensely that Ashley wasted ten years of history and still walked away with a profit for basically doing sweet fuck all with the club.

Guest The King of Zembla

I dont think i ever could, he dragged the club and the fans down to the bottom with his crass stupidty and arrogance.

My hope is the club can get back in the premiership, Ashley allows Rafa to stablize the club and move forward.  With the daft money flying about it might actually lead to Ashley getting his price for NUFC and leaving.

If that does happen it would still bother me immensely that Ashley wasted ten years of history and still walked away with a profit for basically doing sweet f*** all with the club.

With any luck his ticker will pack in.

Guest neesy111

He's totally fluked into getting Rafa like.

Aye, a few more favorable results and Rafa could still be in charge of Real Madrid still.

set this club back 25 years - on and off the pitch.

made a fortune out of us - no net spend, and free advertisisng.

turned us into a tacky, tawdry club with no ambition or self respect - in some ways Rafa has brought us some long-lost dignity back which is almost as important as what he is building on the pitch.

terrified to think what would have happened if we hadnt have the gini/sissoko transfer money coming in.

he is only here as he is still making his money and get his free advertisisng.

rafa is not costing him anything.

Guest The King of Zembla

set this club back 25 years - on and off the pitch.

made a fortune out of us - no net spend, and free advertisisng.

turned us into a tacky, tawdry club with no ambition or self respect - in some ways Rafa has brought us some long-lost dignity back which is almost as important as what he is building on the pitch.

terrified to think what would have happened if we hadnt have the gini/sissoko transfer money coming in.

he is only here as he is still making his money and get his free advertisisng.

rafa is not costing him anything.

What bothers me most is that people are OK with this. I begrudgingly attended one game a few years ago because my dad had bought me a ticktet as a homecoming gift. My broken seat that day was the perfect metaphor for everything that had happened to my club in my years away and the blue and red advertising just served as a 90 minute reminder of what Ashley thinks of us - it just sits there laughing in your face. I hated the experience.

I'll not go back until heart disease sets NUFC free.