Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

Been watching the second half on the dodgy box. 

I know the matchday experience at the GIS isn't the best but if people are missing out on Toon tickets then this Heed side are a deserving alternative for your attention. Absolutely superb football at the moment.

Really hope Heed can keep hold of their squad and Willo this season, would love to see them make the football league.

Wishing I'd thrown a little bit more than I did at the 4/1 odds of a Top 7 finish offered pre-season for the Heed!

Going to be in Northumberland for Christmas with friends from America. Would like to take them to a footy match, and obv the chances of getting tickets for Newcastle are slim. anyone got recommendations for a local game around that time?

I’d have said Gateshead but the stadium is so anodyne. Would like a good non-league experience but with a decent crowd. Was thinking Blyth Spartans but open to any recommendations. Also didn’t know whether they were still in the same ground.

27 minutes ago, leffe186 said:

Just checked - it’s South Shields v Blyth Spartans on Boxing Day. Worth a trip?

South Shields hammer Blyth any day going off current form. Get yourself down to Gateshead if you can, they're quite literally playing like Brazil 2.0 under Mike Williamson. Some class football at the moment.

55 minutes ago, FCB said:

South Shields hammer Blyth any day going off current form. Get yourself down to Gateshead if you can, they're quite literally playing like Brazil 2.0 under Mike Williamson. Some class football at the moment.

They’re not going to be fussed about the football itself, it’s the experience they need. That’s why I’m put off by the Gateshead stadium. Would rather have an old-school local ground.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Going to be in Northumberland for Christmas with friends from America. Would like to take them to a footy match, and obv the chances of getting tickets for Newcastle are slim. anyone got recommendations for a local game around that time?

I’d have said Gateshead but the stadium is so anodyne. Would like a good non-league experience but with a decent crowd. Was thinking Blyth Spartans but open to any recommendations. Also didn’t know whether they were still in the same ground.

I'd avoid Gateshead, the matchday experience is a bit shit. I'd say South Shields or Hebburn (god forbid) are your best shouts round here.

I like to see all local non league sides do well, but at the same time, I do like the fact that Newcastle are the only league side in one of the UK's biggest conurbations, so would probably prefer Gateshead to continue playing great football, surprising people, stay at the top end of the league for years to come, but always keep falling short at the 6 team playoff hurdle.

3 hours ago, leffe186 said:

They’re not going to be fussed about the football itself, it’s the experience they need. That’s why I’m put off by the Gateshead stadium. Would rather have an old-school local ground.

In that case I don't blame you - have you looked into Durham City AFC? They've got a canny old-school ground where there's only metal fences around the pitch.

13 hours ago, leffe186 said:

Where you staying? 

https://www.northernfootballleague.org/scheduled-fixtures/page/12/ are your Northern League games.

57 minutes ago, Disco said:

Where you staying? 

https://www.northernfootballleague.org/scheduled-fixtures/page/12/ are your Northern League games.

Wife’s sorting it out. Month or two ago we were in Newton-by-the-Sea. Think this is a bigger house somewhere near Bamburgh.

I like the idea of South Shields v Blyth Spartans tbh. A chance to show them Newcastle too.

Stan 4-4 Benfield in the pissing rain infront of 700 odd. Game as good as the weather is/was shit. 

Heaton badly need a second covered standing bit. Folk like Branko wouldn’t be able to see it they went. 

On 30/09/2023 at 23:42, leffe186 said:

Wife’s sorting it out. Month or two ago we were in Newton-by-the-Sea. Think this is a bigger house somewhere near Bamburgh.

I like the idea of South Shields v Blyth Spartans tbh. A chance to show them Newcastle too.

Berwick Rangers a possibility if you're near Bamburgh.

6 hours ago, Wullie said:

Berwick Rangers a possibility if you're near Bamburgh.

Yeah considering that. It’s been decades since I went to Shielfield.

Just checked - away to Gala Fairydean on Boxing Day which could genuinely be an option. Away to Bo’ness on the 23rd and I’m not sure my friends are ready for a place like Bo’ness yet. Or ever.

Lived in Berwick '73-80 and used to go to Shieldfield. Was a bit shit then and they were decent......ish. Speedway was way better. 

Loads of my fam live in Morpeth now and one of the younguns plays for Morpeth yoof. Sis reckons the grounds great and, iirc, they're doing well. The men's team, I mean ??

1 hour ago, Groundhog63 said:

Lived in Berwick '73-80 and used to go to Shieldfield. Was a bit shit then and they were decent......ish. Speedway was way better. 

Loads of my fam live in Morpeth now and one of the younguns plays for Morpeth yoof. Sis reckons the grounds great and, iirc, they're doing well. The men's team, I mean ??

Yeah, Morpeth v Whitby is on Boxing Day. Could be a good choice too.