Non-league football

Crumpy Gunt

14 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

North Shields batter Northallerton Town 8-0 in front of just over 200 ???

They've lost over 150 on the gate though.

Loads have wrapped in. I know of 6 Shields fans who have now bought season tickets at Percy Main instead. Most of their "Ultras" have stopped going now. Ultimately the club are reaping what they've sewn.

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

Loads have wrapped in. I know of 6 Shields fans who have now bought season tickets at Percy Main instead. Most of their "Ultras" have stopped going now. Ultimately the club are reaping what they've sewn.

It's sad,  but that's the price will pay for having no ambition.

Aye, might as well as fold the club to be honest. You look at teams like Whitley Bay, and they would absolutely jump at the chance to get promoted.

I remember a few years ago the chairman having a go at people going to watch Newcastle instead of them. Give them a reason to turn up.

There's no reason to watch North Shields these days that's the sad fact. They have no ambition and their "ground" is an absolute disgrace. No protection from the elements for the paying supporters amd the general facilities are woefully inadequate. My mate used to stand underneath the conifers beyond the bottom goal when it was raining and they even chopped those down [emoji38]

Plus their chairman Matthews is a bitter mackem prick. My mate reckons a few of their fans asked him if he would put Sheff Utd v Everton on in the clubhouse, and he told them to do one and put Sunderland on instead. How to keep the fans onside after that shitshow of the summer eh?

It really is a shame if people are turning their backs on it, I went there last season with Grantham and it was probably the most friendly away day all season, Hebburn was alright as well but there were too many dickhead kids that spoilt that.

Shields was brilliant and the atmosphere after in the clubhouse on the karaoke was great, yeah the ground wasn't up to much but the fans were good people and it was a top day. Shame the club have decided to abandon all ambition.

52 minutes ago, Miggys First Goal said:

What's the problem there like? Is it just lack of ambition or something else?

They have never had any ambition. They used to knock back promotion when they earned it in the past. The rules changed a few years ago where you can’t turn down promotion. North Shields got promoted and had to accept it. However their ground was not up to standard and they never bothered to upgrade it to the standards for the league they went into. They eventually got the funding, but got relegated for not having the ground up to standard. They had the money for the upgrades, even in the event of relegation, and still haven’t upgraded the stadium.

You can’t even buy a drink or some snacks from the food kiosk on card.

On top of this, the chairman keeps on hitting out at locals who go to NUFC games, and sometimes even Whitley Bay.

27 minutes ago, Stifler said:

They have never had any ambition. They used to knock back promotion when they earned it in the past. The rules changed a few years ago where you can’t turn down promotion. North Shields got promoted and had to accept it. However their ground was not up to standard and they never bothered to upgrade it to the standards for the league they went into. They eventually got the funding, but got relegated for not having the ground up to standard. They had the money for the upgrades, even in the event of relegation, and still haven’t upgraded the stadium.

You can’t even buy a drink or some snacks from the food kiosk on card.

On top of this, the chairman keeps on hitting out at locals who go to NUFC games, and sometimes even Whitley Bay.

This basically. They knew last summer that they needed to improve the ground otherwise they'd be demoted. They waiting until March then declared they'd need to raise £45k to get the work done so started a go fund page. By this time people were becoming pretty cynical and they only raised just over 4k which they've pocketed and done nothing to the ground other than put a few flagstones down next to the womes bogs according to my mate who watches them.

They've had £1000s upon £1000s gone into that club over the past decade. The Vase win, 400 average gates, lots of loyal sponsors yet have spent nothing on improving the ground/facilities. Even the clubhouse was funded by grants. Absolute joke of a club.

1 hour ago, Wallsendmag said:

This basically. They knew last summer that they needed to improve the ground otherwise they'd be demoted. They waiting until March then declared they'd need to raise £45k to get the work done so started a go fund page. By this time people were becoming pretty cynical and they only raised just over 4k which they've pocketed and done nothing to the ground other than put a few flagstones down next to the womes bogs according to my mate who watches them.

They've had £1000s upon £1000s gone into that club over the past decade. The Vase win, 400 average gates, lots of loyal sponsors yet have spent nothing on improving the ground/facilities. Even the clubhouse was funded by grants. Absolute joke of a club.

They had everything in place last summer, but refused to push on. Has owt been said to the committee or Supermac? Mind - I don't know if the latter goes any longer. Been a while since we've seen him there.

Edited by Big Geordie

2 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

They Taylor Payne'd 4k from their own fans? That's shocking crack that.

Was at Hartlepool the other day. Nice ground, friendly fans, good scran. Thought they were lucky to win. Went to sleep in the second half, and the Doncaster loanee Seaman was getting murdered.

Thought the lanky striker (diesurewe?) was good as well as pattison.  They had a midfielder who had a great first touch but literally everything else was an error (cooke) and their best player (Mancini) wasn't playing.

Defensively they were pretty vulnerable, not sure if they had injuries but they were carried by onariase and went to shit when he got injured. 

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

They had everything in place last summer, but refused to push on. Has owt been said to the committee or Supermac? Mind - I don't know if the latter goes any longer. Been a while since we've seen him there.

I know he was at the end of season Presentation night but don't think he attends many games these days. 201 there on Saturday with nice weather to tempt people along. They'll be down to 150 during the winter from a 400+ average 3/4 seasons ago.

My mate renewed his season ticket but says the 4 lads he used to stand with have all stopped going and they have been there since the Wearside League days.

1 hour ago, Big Geordie said:

He goes to see North Shields Athletic now. He goes into the 3 sails often, and even does talk in events for them.

1 hour ago, Stifler said:

He goes to see North Shields Athletic now. He goes into the 3 sails often, and even does talk in events for them.

They a Sunday League side?#

Oh - Northern Alliance, I see after checking. I'll discuss with the lad I look after next week - to see what he wants to do. Whitley is an alternative, as are Ashington (which would be a drive up and back) Blyth an option too, but £17 for a seat + me as carer seems a bit steep. Will see.

Edited by Big Geordie

7 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Oh - Northern Alliance, I see after checking. I'll discuss with the lad I look after next week - to see what he wants to do. Whitley is an alternative, as are Ashington (which would be a drive up and back) Blyth an option too, but £17 for a seat + me as carer seems a bit steep. Will see.

My stepdad helps them out, he’s their kitman. Not sure if they get anyone turning up to watch them. Apart from the pub after the match, they don’t have any facilities, less than North Shields.

9 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Give Percy Main a go mate. Think it's 3 quid to get in and the lad will be free. They've got a bar there now and have done a bit of work to their ground by all accounts. As I said earlier a fair few North Shields fans have deflected to them and they are pulling in 3 figure crowds. I'd imagine they'll be the best supported team in tbe Alliance now Blue Star aren't there.

13 hours ago, Big Geordie said:

Do North Shields Athletic play at John Spence school? Not a very attractive venue if so.

1 hour ago, Scoreboard82 said:

Do North Shields Athletic play at John Spence school? Not a very attractive venue if so.

Yeah they do. They often have the 3G pitch (which they paid for), however sometimes the school kicks off them onto the grass pitches and says they can because they are on their land, even though they have an agreement with them, and paid for the pitch.

On 04/09/2023 at 11:35, Big Geordie said:

Have had a look for this weekend - probs gonna be either a trip to Newcastle Blue Star (for a look at their set up) or Bedlington Terriers. :thup:

Been going quite a lot lately as quite local. Aye it's a decent set up. Big marquee with a bar in. Used to be that anyone could sit at the tables in there but as they've grown more popular i think they've become a bit more selective these days. Not 100% sure but think you have to book tables of 6 as hospitality. Not expensive like. Likewise they've got a decked area with picnic tables at the front of it where you can sit with a pint but there's a sign up saying ST holders only but again not sure if they are strict in that respect. Doing well in the league though after promotion to NL2. Won the 1st 7 then drew the last couple. Usually about 300 at the home games.