Newcastle United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers - post-match from pg. 17

Disco

It's the more the fact when we go behind we look absolutely toothless. We're far too easy to defend against when the opposition are behind the ball.

That and the character of the team which has been found wanting every time it's been challenged tbh. This game encapsulates my biggest NUFC fear: that the shitness of the Championship is papering over the cracks and we're not building a team with the fortitude for the PL.

Two defeats at home already is a bit of a concern, especially when we didnt lose once last time all season at home.

What happened the last time we played in the Championship is completely and unequivocally irrelevant to this season.

Silly, arrogant thing to say.

Nah, it's not. It's pointless hearkening back to a division that's far different now than it used to be, or holding this team to the same standards as that one.

Doesn't matter if the league has changed man having a solid home record is essential. not rocket science

It's the more the fact when we go behind we look absolutely toothless. We're far too easy to defend against when the opposition are behind the ball.

That and the character of the team which has been found wanting every time it's been challenged tbh. This game encapsulates my biggest NUFC fear: that the shitness of the Championship is papering over the cracks and we're not building a team with the fortitude for the PL.

Our number one priority should be promotion. Since that's far from a guarantee (though today's loss really does nothing to shake my resolve), planning for next season needs to take a backseat.

Guest neesy111

Two defeats at home already is a bit of a concern, especially when we didnt lose once last time all season at home.

What happened the last time we played in the Championship is completely and unequivocally irrelevant to this season.

Nah, it's not. It's pointless hearkening back to a division that's far different now than it used to be, or holding this team to the same standards as that one.

Doesn't matter if the league has changed man having a solid home record is essential. not rocket science

Exactly. 

If we were struggling on the road as well, it'd be a more convincing argument. As we're still sitting 3rd with 2nd-most GF and 2nd-fewest GA, with the best road record, I'm not concerned.

Guest Howaythetoon

Only NUFC can ruin your weekend like they can do, nice one Toons :lol:

There is a lesson in all of this I hope - beating QPR away 6-0 shouldn't see us get carried away and neither should a 2-0 home loss to Wolves. Its a long season, we are up there and we aren't going to go away. Improvements need to be made though and Rafa needs to unbuckle the chains at home.

We aren't going to win every game we play and neither will anybody else.  It amazes me how people are so quick to blame the players, Rafas team selection etc .  Unfortunately sport isn't like that, we could have put out the same team as against QPR and still lost.  Some days things just don't work no matter what you do, just ask Rory McIllroy or any other top sportsman.  Unbeatable one day then just an also ran the next with the same amount of effort or even greater effort. 

If we were struggling on the road as well, it'd be a more convincing argument. As we're still sitting 3rd with 2nd-most GF and 2nd-fewest GA, with the best road record, I'm not concerned.

The away form doesn't really change the fact you need good home performances. I'm not particularly concerned yet either but it's still something that needs to be sorted out, sharp.

Radio Newcastle are saying that Rafa still has the players locked in the dressing room. Good. :thup:

With such a big squad there really shouldn't be any lack of effort, that was the whole point of rotation. I think he's going to quickly lose patience with one or two.

Our number one priority should be promotion. Since that's far from a guarantee (though today's loss really does nothing to shake my resolve), planning for next season needs to take a backseat.

Couldn't disagree more :lol: they're the same thing for me, or at least they ought to be.

I don't like the lack of pace out wide when we put out sides like today. Ritchie's a smashing player but he isn't quick and that's further compounded by putting Perez on the other wing and two defensive full backs.

Which is exactly why we needed to spend money on a winger in the transfer window.

We already have Gayle, Atsu, Ritchie, Perez, Aarrons and Gouffran.

I'd much rather have another centre forward and play Gayle out wide or in Diame's position.

If that is the case (and it looks like it could well be) TRon, Rafa will sort it. You don't get to achieve what he has in football, without knocking heads together and taking no rubbish.

Yeah he'll get it right. Some of these players might not get the chance to if we see too many more of these performances.

From listening to the match and reading reports it seems complacency was evident within the players. Despite the disappointing result, the fact that it has happened and can now be addressed should ensure Rafa sorts it out and it doesn't happen again. Hopefully bounce back quickly, although a couple of really difficult games coming up.

I don't like the lack of pace out wide when we put out sides like today. Ritchie's a smashing player but he isn't quick and that's further compounded by putting Perez on the other wing and two defensive full backs.

Which is exactly why we needed to spend money on a winger in the transfer window.

We already have Gayle, Atsu, Ritchie, Perez, Aarrons and Gouffran.

I'd much rather have another centre forward and play Gayle out wide or in Diame's position.

[/quote/]

That you pards?

The first half was so pedestrian it was almost beyond belief. Wolves were well organised but we lacked movement or guile and created next to nothing. The second half was absolutely disgusting. Simple passes misplaced, basic control absent in most of the lads, and some terrible finishing. When you add in that the ref had a shocker (again) it couldn't have been a worse day.

The goals were shambolic. :anguish:

Some of the suggestions on here: play Gayle out wide, start Mitro over Gayle, etc. Here's why I'm glad we have Rafa and not one of you guys in charge.

Emotions running high, people not thinking clearly. Also, the incessant need to overanalyze everything.