Newcastle United 0-2 Wolverhampton Wanderers - post-match from pg. 17

Disco

I can see understand changing personnel but changing so much that we change the entire pattern of a team that done well. I don't even have a clue as to where Diame was supposed to be playing.

3 defeats this season and I'll put them all down to team selection and giving the opposition too much respect.

We were poor today, lightweight up front and little tempo. I'm assuming Rafa will see the pretty glaring short falls. If not, someone please tell him that playing Gayle and a Perez starting together in this league is a complete no no. It was like playing with 9 men at times.

Surely Wolves pressing high suits us more? We're always better when teams give us space in behind. Just sounds like we were too sloppy to capitalise.

We resorted to having to send long balls to Gayle and he had no chance against their huge centre backs because they didn't let us pass it out from goal kicks. Was obvious  that they weren't going to let Shelvey have any space either

Would be interested to see what Diame was doing then - if their defence wasn't high enough to get in behind, in general play, but they were pressing relatively high then there must have been a decent gap in midfield to capitalise on? Either that or he should've pushed up to help Gayle.

We have enough technical quality to beat a press, especially with a midfield 3 where the should be plenty of short options to play off. If only Mitro was on 5 minutes earlier...

Surely Wolves pressing high suits us more? We're always better when teams give us space in behind. Just sounds like we were too sloppy to capitalise.

We resorted to having to send long balls to Gayle and he had no chance against their huge centre backs because they didn't let us pass it out from goal kicks. Was obvious  that they weren't going to let Shelvey have any space either

Would be interested to see what Diame was doing then - if their defence wasn't high enough to get in behind, in general play, but they were pressing relatively high then there must have been a decent gap in midfield to capitalise on? Either that or he should've pushed up to help Gayle.

We have enough technical quality to beat a press, especially with a midfield 3 where the should be plenty of short options to play off. If only Mitro was on 5 minutes earlier...

In the games Diame has played so far I've yet to see what his role was supposed to be.

I can see understand changing personnel but changing so much that we change the entire pattern of a team that done well. I don't even have a clue as to where Diame was supposed to be playing.

3 defeats this season and I'll put them all down to team selection and giving the opposition too much respect.

The team today had more than enough firepower, by a distance, to put that Wolves side to the sword. I'm assuming the diagonals would've been to help get Perez and Ritchie in positions to cut in and shoot?

In the games Diane has played so far I've yet to see what his her role was supposed to be.

Some of the suggestions on here: play Gayle out wide, start Mitro over Gayle, etc. Here's why I'm glad we have Rafa and not one of you guys in charge.

Emotions running high, people not thinking clearly. Also, the incessant need to overanalyze everything.

To be fair some people have been saying it for ages. Gayle looks more likely to score than Mitro but the team as a whole would probably look better with Mitrovic in there to give us an outlet. It was the same with Cisse last season.

I'd honestly have Mitro in the team every game and when he's out I'd really consider starting Murphy. We don't have a true #10 capable of linking midfield to attack so if teams can press us high up the field we're forced to go direct, which when Gayle is on the field is basically giving up possession.

I really wish we'd just play two up top.

Dummett, Perez and Diame today were abysmal today with the others not being much better.

Thought Borthwick-Jackson had a good game for them at LB, wish we'd brought him in over the summer and flogged Dummett.

Who was the jinxing cunt who said we hadn't lost a 2nd half under Rafa yet? Knacka!

These kind of games happen, the effect would be lessened if we didn't start the season with 2 defeats but I'm sure with Rafa and some of our players mentalities, we'll be fine come Tuesday/onwards.

Fwiw I was quite happy with the team selection, and most on here were as well.

I wasn't, it looked like the same side that has struggled in other games, especially at home.

Yip, win 6 nil away and then make loads of changes, no need.

We were shocking in the 1st half and not much better in the 2nd as we just cannot chase a game.

Too complacent and cocky in the 1st half, too many Hollywood balls from Shelvey although to be fair he had a good 2nd half.

Others have slated Mbemba whereas the worst on the pitch for me was Dummett who really missed the protection given to him by Goufrann.

Diame was poor, Ritchie had to be substituted to save him getting a red card which he was clearly warned he was heading for, Hayden was poor.

Just a typical after the lord mayors show performance.

Need to get consistent asap.

Why does Dummett run like he's running in glue?

The 1st goal??? He was running in quicksand miles behind play which meant Lascelles was pulled out of position but this still didn't explain how the ball spun off Mbemba's bonce and into the net under no pressure at all.

Why does Dummett run like he's running in glue?

The 1st goal??? He was running in quicksand miles behind play which meant Lascelles was pulled out of position but this still didn't explain how the ball spun off Mbemba's bonce and into the net under no pressure at all.

Lascelles pass was shocking mind

Diame has done very little so far. I also think if we don't get an early goal, or go behind, players start getting a little nervous. QPR aside we've not scored all too many goals from open play. I think we need to be starting Mitrovic especially as players like that are useful if a team isn't playing well as he can hold the ball up better. I'd like to see Diame dropped and Gayle and Mitrovic playing together as I think Gayle would benefit a lot from playing alongside a more physical forward.