Cup win or promotion?

Guest Howaythetoon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I get that the fans now have a lot more optimism and hope long term.  But I do wonder how this poll would have looked under Pardew/Carver/McClaren.  If the options were staying up or winning a trophy.

God forbid we ever won a trophy under Pardew or Carver, they'd be immortalised forever. I'd rather we ended up in the conference league.

Find it absolutely mental that a supporter of a club without silverware for so long would choose a promotion over an actual cup. Does not compute with moi.

:thup: Football should be about winning trophies (not the Championship). Being able to get thumped of Sky's big boys wouldn't bring as much joy as a cup win.

Aye but it isn't. There are different trophies with different levels of gravitas. And winning the league cup as a Championship team is just pointless. There's no pride in winning a tournament in which half the teams barely even try. It'd be slightly different with the FA Cup, but the bigger teams still don't really give a shit until later rounds. Just seems really pointless being the shitty club that fluked a cup. I want to win trophies because we're the fucking best, not because no-one else could be arsed.

Of course there'd be pride in winning a tournament. Sunderland are still massively proud of 73, as we are of 55, as Wigan will be in 50 years of the Ben Watson episode. In 10 years time I would much rather look back on being at Wembley for a cup win than middling about in the 'best league in the world'.

Take your point about Birmingham, its probably not worth it for the league cup.The FA Cup though definitely. Tbf this shouldn't be answered with Rafa in mind, we could easily go up and watch him fuck off.

The answer for me is promotion but I would be lying if I said winning a cup wouldn't be one of the best days ever, and arguably the greatest day as a Newcastle fan.

But I do take people like Hans' point about the circumstances having to be right. It's difficult to imagine but either winning it on penalties, or in the way that Birmingham did, would take the shine off it somewhat. Like others have said, I want us to win a cup because we're fucking brilliant. Doing so either at the expense of the club's long term future (which is the hypothetical being discussed here), or doing so by fluking it in the final... would feel a touch anti-climactic.

Part of me thinks the above paragraph might make me an absolute joke of a football fan. But having absolutely gasped for success for so many years, I don't want to quench that thirst with a sip of water; I want ice cold, freshly squeezed juice from the finest Floridian orange.

If seeing your team finally win something after all the money miles and heartache invested isn't as good as it gets then what is? Being mid table in the premiership and trips to palace west brom etc and the odd win over manure or Liverpool?

Says it all about how you see our club. Happy to sacrifice the big time for the consolation of a cup. Coventry won the FA cup  some time ago, what a f***ing glory. We've got Rafa man, stop acting like a Crystal Palace fan.

AKA

Stop thinking small time. Why win a trophy when you can finish in the top 8?

I don't get the "long-term" argument. We got promoted in what.. 2012? Had a decent season or 2 in the league. Consolidated in the league. Got into Europe. Then some pretty average season, then a couple relegation battles. Looking back i'd rather we won the league cup then spent the last 5 years still in the Championship. IMO as long as Ashley is at the club i'll take a cup all day.

Think if we actually are in a chance of winning the League Cup, we'll probably be promoted anyway. Would still stick by my earlier answer and take promotion back to the Premier League than a cup win right now; short term pain, long term gain.

And if Rafa gets pissed off with the regime and leaves within 2-3 years? Back to bog standard (or worse) managers without any great cup winning memories to look back on?

Think if we actually are in a chance of winning the League Cup, we'll probably be promoted anyway. Would still stick by my earlier answer and take promotion back to the Premier League than a cup win right now; short term pain, long term gain.

And if Rafa gets p*ssed off with the regime and leaves within 2-3 years? Back to bog standard (or worse) managers without any great cup winning memories to look back on?

The regime wouldn't dare do something to annoy Rafa. Yes, they're stupid cunts, but they arent so stupid to not realise if they do something idiotic with Rafa the fans will be in absolute uproar. There's a positivity around the club and they won't want to ruin that.

I'd rather us be in the Premier League, being able to attract players of a higher calibre which will give us a chance to challenge for further silverware under Rafa. A League Cup win hasn't exactly done wonders for Birmingham City, or clubs of that ilk that have won one of the cups and are now lingering in the second or even third tiers. Fuck that.

We don't get promoted this year or next we're not winning shit for ages because I imagine Rafa departs and I'm not really sure what happens after that. Getting out of the championship the first time is absolutely crucial to this club's future and that includes Rafa's vision for the club.

We don't get promoted this year or next we're not winning s*** for ages because I imagine Rafa departs and I'm not really sure what happens after that. Getting out of the championship the first time is absolutely crucial to this club's future and that includes Rafa's vision for the club.

Why would Rafa be so much more likely to depart us if we won the fa cup and narrowly lost a playoff final than if we were promoted? Surely he'd stick around an extra year in this hypothetical?