NUFC History - Matchday Experiences/Memories - Those Were The Days Thread

NG32

I used to love man united away. Knowing we'd get bummed but not caring at all. "legs off" if anyone remembers that guy? First year in ages I missed we got a draw, that was about nine years ago and I haven't been since.

Only got to OT twice but both were memorable for different reasons. Went there early in the 84/85 season soon after promotion. We got absolutely pasted 5 nowt and played s**** generally (apart from moments from Waddle and Beardsley) but it was memorable for the sheer amount of Toon fans at the game. It's easy to exaggerate a large away following but there had to be at least 12000 Newcastle fans there and if you watch the highlights that are out there, you can see we had that entire end behind the goal and a bit up the side as well. I could swear we had more fans there that day than even Liverpool and Everton did in that era.

Also went in the 87/88 season for the 2-2 with Mirandinha scoring 2 and although he was uncoordinated and greedy and generally lacking in any type of awareness whatsoever, he was a treat to watch that day. He scored from a deflected free kick that seemed at the time to take about 4 seconds to trundle into the net and a mad back-post header from a flicked-on corner. Can remember getting pelted with coins after both goals by the c***s next to us. Everything happened in the first half, loads of action and then the second half, from memory, nowt seemed to happen at all. Tons of memories from the 84-98 era, hard to only pick out a few.

yep was at that one, in the paddocks, almost to the half way line down the side. remember speaking to some man utd fans years later who said they were in the stretford end that day, and were shitting themselves when they saw how many of us there was- but f*** me OT made some noise  then when they scored.  was it 52k crowd?

Would have to look it up but their big gates in those days were around 55-56k so probably right around there. Aye it was loud as f*** when they scored, OT in those days, seemed like there was something about the construction/acoustics of the Stretford end that created some amazing noise levels when they scored. Remember seeing them on the news beat Liverpool in the very last minute with a long range curler by Davenport, Easter 87, deafening when the goal went in. We had played at Everton that day, got tanked 3 nowt (Wayne Clarke hat-trick) and I can remember seeing loads of Liverpool fans on the way to Manchester as we were going to Liverpool same day, full of themselves, giving us the Vs and generally being worky tickets. Then heading home, their faces on the coaches going back to Liverpool as we left the city were a f***ing picture. Everton basically won the league that day.

I used to love man united away. Knowing we'd get bummed but not caring at all. "legs off" if anyone remembers that guy? First year in ages I missed we got a draw, that was about nine years ago and I haven't been since.

Only got to OT twice but both were memorable for different reasons. Went there early in the 84/85 season soon after promotion. We got absolutely pasted 5 nowt and played s**** generally (apart from moments from Waddle and Beardsley) but it was memorable for the sheer amount of Toon fans at the game. It's easy to exaggerate a large away following but there had to be at least 12000 Newcastle fans there and if you watch the highlights that are out there, you can see we had that entire end behind the goal and a bit up the side as well. I could swear we had more fans there that day than even Liverpool and Everton did in that era.

Also went in the 87/88 season for the 2-2 with Mirandinha scoring 2 and although he was uncoordinated and greedy and generally lacking in any type of awareness whatsoever, he was a treat to watch that day. He scored from a deflected free kick that seemed at the time to take about 4 seconds to trundle into the net and a mad back-post header from a flicked-on corner. Can remember getting pelted with coins after both goals by the c***s next to us. Everything happened in the first half, loads of action and then the second half, from memory, nowt seemed to happen at all. Tons of memories from the 84-98 era, hard to only pick out a few.

yep was at that one, in the paddocks, almost to the half way line down the side. remember speaking to some man utd fans years later who said they were in the stretford end that day, and were shitting themselves when they saw how many of us there was- but f*** me OT made some noise  then when they scored.  was it 52k crowd?

I was there. We started off in two paddocks behind the goal then as more cane in the law cleared paddocks of them to let us in, paddock after paddock after paddock. We had paddocks from one half way flag to the other., Jasper Olsen ran us ragged (hat trick I think) I bought the very things "bushes scream" from some record shop in the arndale and kept it safe through an attack on the van.l

just reading the post about the half time entertainment yesterday, got me thinking if we've ever had any decent HT ent.?

Can recall a pipe band once, Norman wisdom, and RAF military dogs chasing and biting people??

just reading the post about the half time entertainment yesterday, got me thinking if we've ever had any decent HT ent.?

Can recall a pipe band once, Norman wisdom, and RAF military dogs chasing and biting people??

The Geordie Dancer?

:lol:

Pretty sure we had zorb balls races a few seasons ago which used to be quite fun.

Zorb balls for those who may unaware of what they are (not on water obviously):

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/140764922267-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

Norman Wisdom ... That was against Sheff Wed wasn't it ???

Wasn't slap your lass with a Christmas tree mentioned on here recently?  I still have no idea what it means, if anything.

whip patsy Kensit

Whip patsy kensit

Whip patsy kensit

Till she bleeds, yee hah!

Oh when the beans come out the tin.

He'd also do the double decker theme, I remember helping him with the bell and horn sounds at Peterborogh.

He slipped on a pie at a game in the mid 90s, cracked his head and he's had loads of problems since. Quite sad really

Remember an away game in the 80's when somebody got thrown in the Trent.it was handily placed next to Notts county's ground. The day was filled with comic book violence,unbelievably some grounds back then had freedom of movement for fans inside and this was one of them. There was this big ginger lump in a sheepskin and he was lamping Toon fans left, right and centre.One of the lads in our crowd got  his head dunked in the hamburger vans containers, with brine and onions. He was fucking reeking on the bus back.....and we got beat as usual,great times  :lol:

The Geordie Dancer?

:lol:

Good god.  I remember him.  Remember coming out of the stairwell on level 7, looking down to the pitch to see that knacker doing his thing.  :lol:

His stained black top and cheap trousers combo.  :lol:

Remember an away game in the 80's when somebody got thrown in the Trent.it was handily placed next to Notts county's ground. The day was filled with comic book violence,unbelievably some grounds back then had freedom of movement for fans inside and this was one of them. There was this big ginger lump in a sheepskin and he was lamping Toon fans left, right and centre.One of the lads in our crowd got  his head dunked in the hamburger vans containers, with brine and onions. He was f***ing reeking on the bus back.....and we got beat as usual,great times  :lol:

Was that before/after the last game of the season 86/87? If it was that game, I don't recall anyone getting thrown in the Trent, but there was a quite amazing pitch battle at the end of the game, about 40 a side, went on for a good 2-3 mins. I remember watching it from the benches, we lost the game 2-1, huge Toon contingent there. Gazza scored our goal when put clean through, can recall the celebrations, fans on the pitch and we were 2 down at the time in an end-of-season game that meant nowt. Different times, think it was about 3 quid a ticket to get in.

I remember being a young un out sjp on a matchday, we used to hang around while the match was on so we could get autographs after the game. This guy comes up to us about ten minutes in and asks if we want two tickets, absolutely buzzing, had probably only been to a couple of games at this point. Couldn't believe our luck.

Anyway get our seats, watch the game (Leicester) and heskey gets sent off near the end and I remember shouting 'bye bye fatty' only to get the filthiest look by a bloke near me. Took me.ages.to figure out why he was so mad at me.

Did anyone used to go to the old ODEON to watch matches when they weren't there? Was great fun as a kid - think they showed most games, even if they weren't televised. Particularly remember 3-2 at QPR there, 2-1 at Anfield in the League Cup and the 97/98 opener v Sheff Wed.

Aye, 2-0 defeat at Anfield. Proper odd.