Newcastle United v Preston North End (League Cup) - 25/10/16 at 19:45 (no UK TV)

Figures 1-0 Football

Looking forward to Mitrovic tearing them up like I've heard so much about.

Where've you heard this then?

Exclusively on here, mainly since we were relegated. ;)

If he actually jumped for the ball rather than try and fight his man everytime with just strength he would be a lot more effective.

I like how Rafa has compensated for the lack of Shelvey and Gayle by having pace, skill and crossing on wing with Mitrovic in centre. Hayden can pick a pass as well, added to Yedlin overlapping it looks like a well balanced team tbh

Haven't read through the whole thread - but isn't it odd that we played Wolves twice in a row, now Preston, because of the cup draws? Don't recall this happening much before.

I do recall a fixture glut where, didn't we play the same team 3 times in a row, might be Stoke or West Ham? Or I could be completely deluded and mixing real life memories with Football Manager :lol:

We played Arsenal four times in a season once, including twice in a week and three times away.

Got them away in the League Cup (lost 2-0), got them away in the FA Cup (lost 3-0) and then lost 3-0 in the league game four days later.

Played Birmingham three times within 10 days in November/December 1973.  The games got progressively more violent.  One was the game when Jinky Jim Smith got sent off after 57 seconds for breaking an opponent's leg.  And yes, I am that old.

Don't think my memory quite stretches back into past lives :lol: Thanks for the reference, I think it must have been the Arsenal games I was thinking of.

Mitrovic needs to impress tonight, not because he hasn't impressed before which is total nonsense, but because if he has one bad game people who have written him of for not particular reason will be thinking they are vindicated, even though it will only be his second start of the season, and still not enough time to judge.

The primary reason of course being that we want to win.

Looking forward to Mitrovic tearing them up like I've heard so much about.

Well, I hope you enjoy it if he does; though comes across like you might also enjoy it if he doesn't. Personally, I can see that formation working and at least it looks fresh/may not have been what they were expecting. Reality is though, however well that formation (two holding players at least three players who can run at players, or down the wing and cross) could play together, it is unlikely to just 'click' immediately.