Preston North End vs Newcastle United - 29/10/16, 3pm BST

Decky

Can we have a poll for how may times Lowes and Ando say "after the Lord Mayor's show" ? In commentary and has anyone actually been to one of these shows and what makes them so special ?

Fucking irritate me those two.  During the match John Anderson was saying how we really want "one of the big boys" like Liverpool in the next round.  As if we're some tiny club that never gets to play big games so we should want that chance ahead of a better chance of progressing.. I mean FFS we played Liverpool last season and the season before and most seasons for the last god knows how long.  I couldn't give a shit about playing Liverpool, I just want a draw that gives us the best chance possible of getting to the semi's.

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?100782-Prediction-League-PNE-V-Newcastle-United-29-10-16-Championship

:lol: Confident fuckers aren't they. Only one person predicting a Newcastle win so far.

Reading a bit of their forum they seem pretty impressed with their team spirit on the whole like, and are expecting them to come at us full on. They've had some really good results recently and there'll not be many harder games than going away there with the form they're in.

We should win, but I think it'll be a hard game. No chance of them lying down after last night.

http://www.pne-online.net/forum/showthread.php?100782-Prediction-League-PNE-V-Newcastle-United-29-10-16-Championship

:lol: Confident f***ers aren't they. Only one person predicting a Newcastle win so far.

Reading a bit of their forum they seem pretty impressed with their team spirit on the whole like, and are expecting them to come at us full on. They've had some really good results recently and there'll not be many harder games than going away there with the form they're in.

We should win, but I think it'll be a hard game. No chance of them lying down after last night.

The funny thing is that not one is predicting that we keep a clean sheet, but when you look at our recent results, keeping clean sheets is something we seem pretty good at. I said before the cup game that we would lose one of the two games, but having seen how comfortably our 2nd team dismantled their 2nd team, I may have over estimated them. Unless there is a huge gap in ability between the players who lined up against us yesterday and those that we'll face on Saturday, then we should really be expecting at worst a draw out of this one.

They've just beaten 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the table like, 2 away from home :lol:

I cannot really blame them for being optimistic. Our 2nd string is hilariously good where as there's probably isn't, they gave us far too much respect playing 5 at the back and letting us have the ball too, that might have worked early in the season but not now.

We're obviously better than this league, but I hope (and don't expect) the players to go there and expect to win. They'll embarrass us if we do.

I thought the cup tie would be way trickier than it was, based on their recent form and the home goals we've shipped, so I don't know what to think now about this game. A quick look at Whoscored suggests that both Norwich and Huddesfield outplayed and outshot Preston, but didn't take their chances. Brighton too, in their 2-2 draw.

We've got five clean sheets away from home and have conceded only one each in the other two games. So I guess we'll see a more cautious approach than on Tuesday, regardless of the performances of the lads who came in for the cup tie.

I don't know how they can be so confident, yes they have a few to come back in but we have quality and a good tempo going. We could trip ourselves up having won 6 in a row and may end up with a draw or narrow defeat but to be so confident is just weird.

I think the beating we dished out is a good thing for Saturday.  Benitez knows very well our biggest enemy is complacency, he's mentions it every week.  So winning 6-0 will bring into focus even more the need to avoid thinking we just need to turn up to win.  I think Preston will try to come out firing, we will be as we always are away from home and I think we'll win it.

I don't know how they can be so confident, yes they have a few to come back in but we have quality and a good tempo going. We could trip ourselves up having won 6 in a row and may end up with a draw or narrow defeat but to be so confident is just weird.

As Hans said, they've got 10 points from Norwich, Villa, Huddersfield and Brighton this month and haven't lost a league game for over a month so it's not unusual that some of them are reasonably confident that they aren't going to get bummed again

Will be a much harder game at the weekend you'd expect. Hopefully they're learning to react better after good wins. The Qpr & Norwich results were followed up by dodgy performances. Rotherham were a post away from a draw.

You literally couldn't give more incentive to a side to go all out, than if their club has just lost 6-0 in a cup & their first team didnt get to play. We'll need Rafa to organise us well & have the players massively up for the game. Need to treat it like a completely fresh game.

Will be a much harder game at the weekend you'd expect. Hopefully they're learning to react better after good wins. The Qpr & Norwich results were followed up by dodgy performances. Rotherham were a post away from a draw.

You literally couldn't give more incentive to a side to go all out, than if their club has just lost 6-0 in a cup & their first team didnt get to play. We'll need Rafa to organise us well & have the players massively up for the game. Need to treat it like a completely fresh game.

I think that's where the rotation policy comes into it's own. We'll probably go back to the formation which we've used in the league for most of the season. Not very exciting perhaps, but those players will really be up for it knowing we won so well without them midweek. Totally different game, but we have plenty of options over the 90 mins to get the result we want.

Using my amazing powers of magical thinking and nonsense, given that our last run of four victories there (.com) were:

1961/62 won 1-0 Woods

1960/61 won 3-2 White 3

1959/60 won 2-1 Eastham, OG

1958/59 won 4-3 Franks, White 3

And our last two victories there were:

2009/10 won 1-0 Nolan

1980/81 won 3-2 Rafferty, Shinton 2

Obviously, the pattern is one goal less this time around (ahem), so 2-1 to us, defo, get the mortgage on it.