Newcastle United 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday - 26/12/16 - Match Thread

Guest pricedoutoftoon

Worst performance I've seen a St James' for ages, absolutely turgid. I've been to 3 games this season: 3 points :lol:

Better record than me. Hoping my gypsy course doesn't extend to Forest.

What qualification does that get you mate?

Damn predictive text! Maybe how to tarmac driveways?

I think there is some mileage in what Dave (I think) said a bit earlier. Turning this club around is a huge job, given that prior to Rafa being appointed, it had given up on competing since the season we finished 5th (IMO) Many of the players that were signed to just go through the motions are still here - the likes of Colback, Gouffran, Anita, etc and whilst they have played their part to some extent this season, they are not the future, nevermind the immediate future. I trust Rafa in that he will take us up but he has to be allowed to do it his way. That may see the likes of Perez and Mitro sold on to bring in other new faces.

It's worth remembering that Keegan and Robson didn't turn us around overnight, after a spell of the club being mismanaged. Bad habits can take a while to iron out.

That said, I'm still very disappointed tonight and Rafa has to take a share of the blame.

Can't agree with what you said about KK BG - OK, he had an extra month to save us from the old Third Div when he arrived in Feb 92 and Rafa would have kept us up if given the same time, but KKs side went for a record number of games unbeaten in the league from the start of the following season and by March were well on their way to the title. He didn't have the money  to spend that Rafa has either.

AND we didn't lose 4 games at home all season, never mind just halfway through it...if asked to put money on the 92/93 side to win the title in Christmas 92 I would have done it...I can't say the same about the current side.

I personally thought Wednesday didn't allow us any time on the ball.  When the ball was played to feet they were in with a hard tackle so that we invariably lost position or lost momentum by winning free kicks which allowed wednesday to regroup at the back and we couldn't pass the ball through them as play was constantly broken up.  Our problem was we kept on with our game plan even though it was plain to see their game plan was nullify ing ours.  I suppose the thought behind it was we only have to pass through them once to score a goal.  Shame it didn't work.  Still on the bright side that would have been 0-4 home loss if it wasn't for Darlow.  Fletcher should have had a hat trick.

Fair enough, Merlin - it's all about opinions. :) We know Rafa has a particular way of playing and the bloke still has my trust. Ashley must back him in the transfer market, not only next month but in the summer too. We are playing in a very competitive league this season and aye, the home form is a concern but I still think we will be ok bar a major disaster. At the moment, I would take finishing 2nd - winning the league would be nice, but it's not the be all and end all. Promotion is.

Love Benitez but for me he should have went with a different formation and accommodated a slightly different style of play last night.

Sheffield Wednesday had done their research on us and normally that wouldn't have mattered but without Shelvey it did.

I'm not Shelveys biggest fan and never have been (that's not to say I don't like him) but he has proven he is a cut above this division. This became more apparent last night and it was infuriating to watch a hapless performance from the rest of our midfield without him there.

I would like to think over the next 4 games that he misses, the lads in the centre up their game to show he (Jonjo) has to play out of his skin to get back in the set up.

Ritchie and / or Gouffran need 3 or 4 games out for me too. Ritchie in particular looks to have blown out of steam a tad and Gouffran is just Gouffran. He's a great work horse but provides little in way of creative threat. For me Atsu should be replacing one of those in the coming games as a reminder that they must be on top of their game to be selected.

Darlow was pretty fantastic and I'd like to see the goal again but we just don't seem as watertight as we maybe should be defensively. Despite the fact I like all our lads at the back.

I suspect Rafa might add quality right up the spine of the team and possibly obtain a new winger and / or full back this January and in the summer. What comes first I don't know.

For the first time since SBR though I feel like he sees what the majority of fans see.

Wednesday deserved their win and whilst you must take note of why, we mustn't be too disillusioned. It wasn't just a team that needed turning around, it was (and still is) a club...

Fair enough, Merlin - it's all about opinions. :) We know Rafa has a particular way of playing and the bloke still has my trust. Ashley must back him in the transfer market, not only next month but in the summer too. We are playing in a very competitive league this season and aye, the home form is a concern but I still think we will be ok bar a major disaster. At the moment, I would take finishing 2nd - winning the league would be nice, but it's not the be all and end all. Promotion is.

Agree that we have faith in Benitez...that wasn't in doubt and as you say, Ashley has to back him in the market. The problem he faces is that Jan is a bad time to have to go for crucial signings ; clubs do not want to lose players at this time of year unless they either want rid of them or, like Chelsea, can afford to loan out players or sell those that other sides would keep.

Yes, we want promotion above anything else but losing 4 home games already could put us in danger of facing the lottery of the play-offs unless this is stopped in the second half of the season.

We continue to be far too easy to defend against at home (unless we score early). Teams sit deep and our lack of players who can actually go past a man and disrupt the oppo's defensive shape leaves us almost clueless. We are slow and predictable and are far more effective away from home.

We really do need a creative presence. I must mention that I've not been impressed by Ritchie's contributions, he's getting away with it just now.

My couple of points:

Ritchie has been huffing and puffing all season, we need some competition and he needs dropped. Diame and Perez have also been crap in the no10 position all season bar a couple of games, we desperately lack a bit of cunning in this position.

Gouffran is what he is, he is bang average but gives 100% every game, we can't expect more from him.

We miss not having a replacement for Shelvey and will suffer from it, I would liken this situation to any Barcelona team of the last few years (tin hat); take messi out and the level drops drastically... Apply the same principal to a much more inferior team....

Conclusion: Buy a No.10, winger, creative midfielder and a guaranteed goalscorer (if gayle got injured????) ASAP!!!

Guest neesy111

Maybe some of you fuckers actually underestimated this league?

You clealry haven't seen enough football if you branded teams like Huddersfield and Sheff.Wed as shit teams. 

Sheff Wed are defo not a shit team.

Guest neesy111

Feels like we've conceded loads of goals from corners this year. By my reckoning we've conceded 9 league goals from set pieces

Our defending from set pieces is definitely our big weakness at the back.

Guest neesy111

anybody think christmas drink may have played a part in yesterdays shitshow?

They won't be allowed to drink on xmas day.  3 day alcohol rule before any game is pretty standard across the whole of football.

They won't be allowed to drink on xmas day.  3 day alcohol rule before any game is pretty standard across the whole of football.

just wondering cos some of them played like they had been on the piss.

Guest neesy111

just wondering cos some of them played like they had been on the piss.

Think we were just outplayed by a better team on the day.  Our formation when it comes unstuck makes the team look terrible.

Guest firetotheworks

Nah, because you could ask the same question of Sheff Wed, who won.

Nah, because you could ask the same question of Sheff Wed, who won.

well yes, but maybe sheff weds players weren't thinking they were the dogs b , top of the league and, well,getting pissed and losing just a little focus at xmas.