Newcastle United 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday - 26/12/16 - Match Thread

Guest pricedoutoftoon

We've played just as bad with Shelvey though on various occasions, tactics were poor. Simple as that for me.

It's been the same tactics all season. Can't say it's good tactics when we win and bad tactics when we lose..

Well you can sort of. When a team is good enough to exploit our tactic, we do absolutely nothing, or should i say Rafa does nothing to change it. We look completely unable to approach games differently.

Now i love Rafa but that is not a good thing from him imo, it's only a minor issue if you look at the table but our limited flair and creativity are shown up terribly if the opposition get it right against us.

Come on man, he's a world class manager isn't he but he can't adjust tactically in the championship ?

Your sentence is completely correct, he is world class and so far has shown he can't adjust in the Championship tactically when a team plays a certain way. I know the first point should rule out the 2nd but it hasn't as we've seen so far.

He's been overly cautious so far in some respects but i've no doubt he'll see it and change. But so far for the 1st half of the season he hasn't, but with window and him learning more about his players in certain situations i've no doubt he'll tweak it.

I don't think he'll tweak it. We have a better squad than everyone else, we'll improve it in January and we'll keep on going as we are, which will still be enough to get promoted.

We do, but in central midfield we are weak as p*ss for numbers and quality (Shelvey and Hayden aside). We must strengthen in CM, simply must.

Sure ? After Shelvey and Hayden we have Colback and Anita. Doesn't sound good to us but as third and fourth choice in this division that's very good. Not helped by the tactics I'd say.

Anita maybe, we've not seen him in CM so i'm pretty sure Rafa doesn't even see him as one anymore. But Colback isn't good enough for the Championship, he's utter garbage. We need to sign two CM's imo.

We've played just as bad with Shelvey though on various occasions, tactics were poor. Simple as that for me.

It's been the same tactics all season. Can't say it's good tactics when we win and bad tactics when we lose..

Well you can sort of. When a team is good enough to exploit our tactic, we do absolutely nothing, or should i say Rafa does nothing to change it. We look completely unable to approach games differently.

Now i love Rafa but that is not a good thing from him imo, it's only a minor issue if you look at the table but our limited flair and creativity are shown up terribly if the opposition get it right against us.

Come on man, he's a world class manager isn't he but he can't adjust tactically in the championship ?

Your sentence is completely correct, he is world class and so far has shown he can't adjust in the Championship tactically when a team plays a certain way. I know the first point should rule out the 2nd but it hasn't as we've seen so far.

He's been overly cautious so far in some respects but i've no doubt he'll see it and change. But so far for the 1st half of the season he hasn't, but with window and him learning more about his players in certain situations i've no doubt he'll tweak it.

I don't think he'll tweak it. We have a better squad than everyone else, we'll improve it in January and we'll keep on going as we are, which will still be enough to get promoted.

We do, but in central midfield we are weak as p*ss for numbers and quality (Shelvey and Hayden aside). We must strengthen in CM, simply must.

Sure ? After Shelvey and Hayden we have Colback and Anita. Doesn't sound good to us but as third and fourth choice in this division that's very good. Not helped by the tactics I'd say.

By what standards are they good in this league as CMs? Colback has very little in redeeming qualities. Anita was weak in Premier League games as a midfielder, that's not going to change here.

Have you not thought that Rafa might be trying to build something long-term for the club and its style of play? Not that I think he's shown tactical inflexibility, we've won games in all manners this season - sometimes counter, sometimes possession, sometimes direct, sometimes with deeper CMs, sometimes a more balanced midfield 4 approach etc. He's wedded to 4-2-3-1 as a shape but I don't see that as the real problem here, more the lack of balance the team has at times.

By what standards are they good in this league as CMs? Colback has very little in redeeming qualities. Anita was weak in Premier League games as a midfielder, that's not going to change here.

Have you not thought that Rafa might be trying to build something long-term for the club and its style of play? Not that I think he's shown tactical inflexibility, we've won games in all manners this season - sometimes counter, sometimes possession, sometimes direct, sometimes with deeper CMs, sometimes a more balanced midfield 4 approach etc. He's wedded to 4-2-3-1 as a shape but I don't see that as the real problem here, more the lack of balance the team has at times.

Colback gets slagged off loads as much because of his SAFC background and his poor games are amplified because of it, he's not helped with the tactics.

As regards Rafa and his building something, no I don't think he does see it that way, he just really does think that way is right, to me, better managers would get what is best out of what he has and wouldn't be wedded to any particular way.

Colback gets slagged off loads as much because of his SAFC background and his poor games are amplified because of it, he's not helped with the tactics.

As regards Rafa and his building something, no I don't think he does see it that way, he just really does think that way is right, to me, better managers would get what is best out of what he has and wouldn't be wedded to any particular way.

Colback is suited to what tactics, exactly? His only strength is short passing and that's exactly what our game revolves around.

Surely a good manager, in our situation especially, should be building towards long-term success while balancing out short-term matters? Benitez has had the same general style wherever he's been and has enjoyed some pretty good success out of it - it seems apparent, to me, that he's trying to build that up here as a means to actually win something but there's still a long way to go. Not sure if you've read any of the Chron coverage but there were details about how they layer more and more tactics into the side as the season goes on, for example. Out of curiosity, what would you be doing differently?

Colback is suited to what tactics, exactly? His only strength is short passing and that's exactly what our game revolves around.

Surely a good manager, in our situation especially, should be building towards long-term success while balancing out short-term matters? Benitez has had the same general style wherever he's been and has enjoyed some pretty good success out of it - it seems apparent, to me, that he's trying to build that up here as a means to actually win something but there's still a long way to go. Not sure if you've read any of the Chron coverage but there were details about how they layer more and more tactics into the side as the season goes on, for example. Out of curiosity, what would you be doing differently?

What I'd do differently is with this squad play Mitrovic or Murphy with Gayle in behind, 4-4-2- or 4-4-1-1- if you like but much more forward looking, as I've said a few times, imagine Keegan or Robson with this squad in this division.

It's interesting you saying about building towards long term success while others say performances don't matter providing we get promotion.....some, a small few think we are  between both points.

This league is like having Tony Pulis in charge of every other club.

Off the ball aye (and if they get away with we may have to do it aswell), on the ball they were nowt like a Pulis team, they played by far the better football tonight.

Another hugely disappointing home performance and another loss...this team is unable to cope with teams like Wednesday, Wolves, Huddersfield and Blackburn at SJP. These sides work hard, get men behind the ball and compete vigorously in m/f...a bit like NUFC AWAY from home with one difference - they break more quickly from a defensive situation and today Wednesday could have won this game 1-3 had Darlow not saved our skins twice in successive chances. We are slow to build up attacks at home and apart from Gayle's shot in the first half, well saved and tipped on to the post/bar by their keeper, I cannot remember us creating any real chances which forced similar saves to Darlow's from their keeper.

We wondered how the side would cope without Shelvey and the answer was far from palatable - there was very little creativity in the forward passing and far too much passing sideways along the back 4, something we used to specialize in when P45Due was in charge ; we could have played like that all day and Wednesday would have mopped it up.

I have refrained from criticising Rafa at all this season because he has done a brilliant job in a short time but he must hold his hands up for not bringing Mitrovic on until 10 min from time - Gayle was anonymous apart from his near miss in the first half and their defence/midf dealt with him promptly and physically. Mitrovic would have provided at least a more physical presence which might have given them problems...should have been on at least 25 mins earlier.

I don't think anyone can keep saying 'we'll still win the league' after these home defeats - unless Rafa can sign someone of real talent in midfield(NOT an easy task in January)we are going to struggle at home. OK, Huddersfield and Wednesday were and are expected to be among the promotion chasers, but Blackburn and Wolves are not so we have dropped valuable home points.

Forest will come to SJP full of heart after Wednesday's win and will aim to frustrate team and crowd once again. If we lose again, the crowd, who have been great, are going to get restless and away sides know this. Our win over Norwich has been put into perspective by their results since and we are now only one of about 5 or 6 sides who are going to promotion with a realistic chance of getting it. Our favourites rating by the bookies will start to slip if we lose on 30th and Rafa is unable to get the midfield creator and pacey winger we need.

Not the Christmas present we wanted but not unexpected in view of the home record this season.

Biggest thing this squad lacks (compared to the last Championship squad we had) is heart. We had some real characters in the squad last time around, and that clearly made a difference.

It also lacks quality in vital positions...Gayle is far and away the best striker but take him out and what have you got..only Mitro. We have seen today that without Shelvey, there is little real creativity in the m/field and apart from Atsu, we lack pace on the flanks. We DO have a BIGGER squad than most Champ sides but some of them have better players, or players on a par with ours, in crucial positions. Everyone has been waiting for Brighton & Co to get a run of injuries thinking that our so-called Super Squad will be able to climb away from them after that but so far it hasn't happened and teams have looked at us over the season and worked out how to frustrate us at SJP...doesn't anyone think that teams used to try this with KK's side in 92/93..? Of course they did but the side had far more guile, passing ability and pace than this team/squad does. KK had the benefit of no transfer window constraints so he was able to sign Cole and Sellars in the second half of the season and this made the side by far and away the best in the then Second Div. Rafa either has to sign players before the end of Jan or go with what he has and that is looking less feasible by the week.

Only Darlow comes away from that with any credit.

The rest where an embarrassment to the shirt.

I think that is an accurate comment - I'm beginning to wonder whether we are seeing the 'Turkeys not voting for Christmas' syndrome because half of these players - maybe MORE than half - must know they will be out of the door if the club goes up.

I believe one of the reasons we struggle at home is the lack of physical presence up front. Gayle's been a revelation this season, don't get me wrong, but when teams sit deep and deny space in behind, they leave themselves vulnerable to crosses into the box. That's exactly where players like Mitro thrive, playing closer to goal where their lack of pace isn't an issue because they don't need to get onto through balls. I still suspect something has gone on behind the scenes with Mitrovic, because he has been decent when he's had the chance and has done well with Serbia. 10 minutes here and there isn't giving him any chance. We were crying out for him yesterday.

Rafa got the team lineup wrong but the bigger issue was that he didn't react to the unfolding problems. Yes the referee was ridiculous at times and gave Gayle no protection but you will get refs like this. We can't blame Sheff Wed because all teams do as much as they can get away with, especially away to the league leaders. They were happy to concede countless set pieces because it slowed the game down and we weren't a threat off them. In that kind of game we need to be equally aggressive - why let yourselves be bullied? We shouldn't normally get drawn into that kind of game but if the ref offers no protection than you have to. It's a problem Arsenal have often had over the years (not comparing us to Arsenal btw). Mitrovic would have offered more than Gayle who was just cleaned out whenever the ball came near him. Most refs won't stand for that level of persistent fouling but some will and there has to be a plan B to deal with it.

Rafa's lineup was wrong in hindsight - yes a case could be made for minimal changes to a winning team - but two defensive wingers and two defensive full backs at home when you've lost your only creative player doesn't suggest a clear game plan. Good managers learn from games like this and I think Rafa will ring the changes. Clearly we have to find another way to hurt teams without Shelvey. I also think he has to bring Mitro into the fold in these home games. Hopefully this will serve as a timely reminder that we're one or two quality midfielders short.

I believe one of the reasons we struggle at home is the lack of physical presence up front. Gayle's been a revelation this season, don't get me wrong, but when teams sit deep and deny space in behind, they leave themselves vulnerable to crosses into the box. That's exactly where players like Mitro thrive, playing closer to goal where their lack of pace isn't an issue because they don't need to get onto through balls. I still suspect something has gone on behind the scenes with Mitrovic, because he has been decent when he's had the chance and has done well with Serbia. 10 minutes here and there isn't giving him any chance. We were crying out for him yesterday.

Rafa got the team lineup wrong but the bigger issue was that he didn't react to the unfolding problems. Yes the referee was ridiculous at times and gave Gayle no protection but you will get refs like this. We can't blame Sheff Wed because all teams do as much as they can get away with, especially away to the league leaders. They were happy to concede countless set pieces because it slowed the game down and we weren't a threat off them. In that kind of game we need to be equally aggressive - why let yourselves be bullied? We shouldn't normally get drawn into that kind of game but if the ref offers no protection than you have to. It's a problem Arsenal have often had over the years (not comparing us to Arsenal btw). Mitrovic would have offered more than Gayle who was just cleaned out whenever the ball came near him. Most refs won't stand for that level of persistent fouling but some will and there has to be a plan B to deal with it.

Rafa's lineup was wrong in hindsight - yes a case could be made for minimal changes to a winning team - but two defensive wingers and two defensive full backs at home when you've lost your only creative player doesn't suggest a clear game plan. Good managers learn from games like this and I think Rafa will ring the changes. Clearly we have to find another way to hurt teams without Shelvey. I also think he has to bring Mitro into the fold in these home games. Hopefully this will serve as a timely reminder that we're one or two quality midfielders short.

We never looked good enough to break down their defence by passing through the midfield. I lost count of the number of times a player lost control of the ball in their half when put under pressure. They ended up hitting us on the break and we could have conceded more.

As you say, the different strategy that Atsu and Mitrovic offered to us might have worked, and we looked a bit more positive when they came on, but by then Wednesday looked very confident about holding out.

Shelvey's presence could have made a difference with his long range shooting in particular, and his long passing, but even with him around, our build up tends to be a bit slow and deliberate, and we needed more urgency.

Darlow was brilliant - he really is a find - and the other player I'd exempt from criticism is Gayle, who struggled in a difficult situation with no protection from the ref, but who never got discouraged. If only that attitude would rub off on Ayoze.

It was a piss poor performance but I wouldn't blame the two in midfield entirely. We're just not getting enough from the "creative" three behind Gayle. Diame was non-existent and needed to step up, Ritchie was flat.

Benitez will surely have taken note and have something in mind but this inability to put teams away at home is clearly an issue. Other teams will have taken note and will do the same thing Wednesday did. Fingers crossed for some new creativity in Jan because the right signing or two would really have us make another surge.

In the grand scheme of things we're still doing ok and top for the time being. Forest is a big game though as I'd still be confident of us going to Blackburn with our set up and getting something.

Worrying home form really. Very worrying we don't have a clue what to do when going 1 down too. Champions don't lose 4 at home all season, never mind half way through.

Think we will go up comfortably but have to fancy Brighton for the title as things stand. They just don't lose many games.

It was a piss poor performance but I wouldn't blame the two in midfield entirely. We're just not getting enough from the "creative" three behind Gayle. Diame was non-existent and needed to step up, Ritchie was flat.

Benitez will surely have taken note and have something in mind but this inability to put teams away at home is clearly an issue. Other teams will have taken note and will do the same thing Wednesday did. Fingers crossed for some new creativity in Jan because the right signing or two would really have us make another surge.

In the grand scheme of things we're still doing ok and top for the time being. Forest is a big game though as I'd still be confident of us going to Blackburn with our set up and getting something.

Diame was too far forward, the ball couldn't reach him, besides his main strength is to power his way through midfields and defenses, not his passing etc. You are right that Ritchie and Gouffran were poor, however I believe Ritchie is capable of better (though may need to be dropped to remind him he's not automatically given a place), and Atsu is a better option than Gouffran. The wingers are capable of stepping it up, where as centrally in midfield we arn't. Hayden has had half a dozen good games, other than that he's been poor and I can't see him being able to step up to the Premier League. Colback is just poor, he'd be a good player for a mid table championship team, but one pushing for promotion he's not. Shelvey is a great passer, but if he's marked out of a game (which will happen more in the Premier League) then we have no other creative option centrally. We really 2 more central players who can create something, and we need at least 1 of those in January.

I think the difference between yesterday and say wolves or blackburn are that Sheff Weds are one of the best teams in this division, they got to the playoff final last year, have one of the best managers and one of the best players in the league (Forestieri) and came into the game on a decent run of form. In short they were not the no-hopers cannon fodder many on here seem to have written them off as. They were always going to create chances and on the night did a number on us tactically, particularly down their left channel getting a man in between anita and lascelles leaving lascelles in no mans land.

The goal was coming to say the least and this is my main gripe. It was obvious that our tactics weren't really working, and that we had a bit of a "rough patch" to ride out, and the response from the dugout and the players on the pitch was to put their head in the sand and carry on as we were until the inevitable happened. Tactics, subs etc are the managers department, obviously, but the players need to be able to judge when we're getting battered, roll their sleeves up, gee each other up and concentrate on riding out the storm without conceding, or if we do concede then have the belief that we will get back into the game. Call it bottle, guts, bollocks, gumption, nous whatever, we currently lack it on the pitch. This is borne out by a look at our stats, six defeats but only one draw (when should have won handsomely), turn three of them into draws (especially vs huddersfield and sheff wed) and we're looking at the table laughing. A draw yesterday wouldn't have been a disgrace, it's the kind of game the 09/10 team would have made sure they got something out of and it's one thing we'll need to learn to do if promotion is to be secured.

Also I'd echo the numerous comments above about the manager leaving it too late in the day to change the personnel and formation when things aren't going well.

Anyway, Friday is another day and a very winnable game.

Worrying home form really. Very worrying we don't have a clue what to do when going 1 down too. Champions don't lose 4 at home all season, never mind half way through.

Think we will go up comfortably but have to fancy Brighton for the title as things stand. They just don't lose many games.

They're a much more settled side I feel. We had major changes in the summer and have been learning as a team. I agree though the home form is an issue - it's like our style/inability to break down teams plays into the hands of opposition. We should be fully going for teams and putting them under constant pressure but we haven't found a way to do that constantly, or even just routine wins. It's either really good or bang average. I'm confident that with signings and or change of tactics we'll learn to be better at home over the second half of the season. A really attacking midfielder could knit everything together. I thought Perez would rip this league up but he's spectacularly fluffed his lines.

A big part of the problem is playing Ritchie and Gouffran together in what is effectively a front 3 when we go forward. They are intended to be Gayle's supply line from wide positions when we have the ball in the final third. Neither of them is quick enough or incisive enough. Ritchie's body language has turned into some sort of Scott Parker/Jack Colback hybrid whereby he no longer looks up, and seems totally bereft of ideas. Gouffran has no turn of pace and no sharpness from out on the left side, and he clearly would still rather play more central.

In order to play the way we do, and especially without Shelvey's precision passing in midfield, we need searing pace down the flanks, both from midfield and fullback positions. I know it's unlikely but I wouldn't mind seeing something like Yedlin and Haidara (if and when fit) at fullback, with Atsu and Lazaar in the wide positions, and then one of Ritchie, Diame or even Gouffran (a more natural finisher) behind Gayle.

We're quite easy to stop without Shelvey to unlock a defence. The left side may as well not be playing, Colback/Dummett/Gouffran can't do anything on or off the ball.

While Shelvey is out we need to be playing more of the likes of Yedlin and Atsu from the start.

Guest neesy111

We're quite easy to stop without Shelvey to unlock a defence. The left side may as well not be playing, Colback/Dummett/Gouffran can't do anything on or off the ball.

While Shelvey is out we need to be playing more of the likes of Yedlin and Atsu from the start.

That's very worrying if one player is making our whole team tick.