Newcastle United 0-1 Sheffield Wednesday - 26/12/16 - Match Thread

Guest pricedoutoftoon

Guest firetotheworks

Just seen the 442 stuff. Relevant or not, why waste your time? It's not going to happen. Take Rafa as he is and accept the ride, it'll work more than it won't.

Embarrassed tbh. Shelvey or no Shelvey, a team looking to win the league shouldn't be losing to a team with such basic tactics and basic players, they're a nothing team. We can't afford to get ahead of ourselves, that was a very poor performance and like I say, I was canny embarrassed. I'm confident that Rafa won't let it stand, and should we get promoted, I can't see many of that team surviving.

That's my worry; such was the amount of necessary changes to the squad in the summer, we needed to sign so many... and whilst it may be enough to get us promoted there could be more wholesale changes immediately on the horizon.

The scale of the job is enormous, like.

As others have said tonight, there are clearly a great many he just doesn't trust.

Atsu can't get ahead of Gouffran even though the latter doesn't offer a great deal most of the time.

Haidara and Lazaar both presumably not fancied, and Gamez hardly got a game; Dummett's been okay but does have bad games yet keeps his place.

Mitrovic, obviously, barely gets a propoer look-in even when we're crying out for a change.

Murphy, clearly, not happening.

There are others too.

Several members of the starting line-up will hopefully improve over the next six months and establish themselves as (hopefully) Premier League players next season. But finding the balance to this squad; forming a team that is going to consolidate a position in the PL and eventually challenge for honours... it's going to take years.

I'm fucked off with him tonight but thank fuck we've got Rafa at the helm to oversee this massive job.

Embarrassed tbh. Shelvey or no Shelvey, a team looking to win the league shouldn't be losing to a team with such basic tactics and basic players, they're a nothing team. We can't afford to get ahead of ourselves, that was a very poor performance and like I say, I was canny embarrassed. I'm confident that Rafa won't let it stand, and should we get promoted, I can't see many of that team surviving.

:anguish: I'm not having that like. If creating better chances and managing the match well is basic tactics then we needed to work on ours tonight.

:anguish: I'm not having that like. If creating better chances and managing the match well is basic tactics then we needed to work on ours tonight.

It was pretty basic, like. You've already said as much yourself. ???

There wasn't much in the way of craft and industry from Sheff Wed. They did a number on us, for sure, and definitely deserved the win, but they were cynical in defense and only competent going forward.

Guest firetotheworks

Well that's the point I'm making really. They were basic and created chances/defended the very little that was thrown at them, we were less than basic and deservedly lost. The frustration is that that was well below even our average where we play shite but create something. This was just nothing.

I think there is some mileage in what Dave (I think) said a bit earlier. Turning this club around is a huge job, given that prior to Rafa being appointed, it had given up on competing since the season we finished 5th (IMO) Many of the players that were signed to just go through the motions are still here - the likes of Colback, Gouffran, Anita, etc and whilst they have played their part to some extent this season, they are not the future, nevermind the immediate future. I trust Rafa in that he will take us up but he has to be allowed to do it his way. That may see the likes of Perez and Mitro sold on to bring in other new faces.

It's worth remembering that Keegan and Robson didn't turn us around overnight, after a spell of the club being mismanaged. Bad habits can take a while to iron out.

That said, I'm still very disappointed tonight and Rafa has to take a share of the blame.

That's my worry; such was the amount of necessary changes to the squad in the summer, we needed to sign so many... and whilst it may be enough to get us promoted there could be more wholesale changes immediately on the horizon.

The scale of the job is enormous, like.

As others have said tonight, there are clearly a great many he just doesn't trust.

Atsu can't get ahead of Gouffran even though the latter doesn't offer a great deal most of the time.

Haidara and Lazaar both presumably not fancied, and Gamez hardly got a game; Dummett's been okay but does have bad games yet keeps his place.

Mitrovic, obviously, barely gets a propoer look-in even when we're crying out for a change.

Murphy, clearly, not happening.

There are others too.

Several members of the starting line-up will hopefully improve over the next six months and establish themselves as (hopefully) Premier League players next season. But finding the balance to this squad; forming a team that is going to consolidate a position in the PL and eventually challenge for honours... it's going to take years.

I'm f***ed off with him tonight but thank f*** we've got Rafa at the helm to oversee this massive job.

We need to spend big in the summer - that's for sure. The likes of Dummett, Colback and Gouffran are nowhere near Premier League quality. I'd put Ritchie in that category too. Tries hard but has not impressed me so far.

It's a mentality issue more than anything IMO. When we take the lead, we go on to win in the main; when we lose the first goal and have to chase the game, we look desperate and bereft of ideas. It'll take time to address, especially considering that we have only gone behind on a few occasions.  Also helps to explain why we have only drawn a single game this season, which is a pretty remarkable stat in itself.

It's a mentality issue more than anything IMO. When we take the lead, we go on to win in the main; when we lose the first goal and have to chase the game, we look desperate and bereft of ideas. It'll take time to address, especially considering that we have only gone behind on a few occasions.  Also helps to explain why we have only drawn a single game this season, which is a pretty remarkable stat in itself.

Disagree with it being a mentality issue.

We set up to score a goal and hang on to it every single week, then when we don't get the first goal we have no idea what to do about it and end up defending a 1-0 defeat.

Guest firetotheworks

Obviously nowhere near the same level as players but Aside from that one chance Gayle without Cole without Beardsley. Probably a shoehorned comparison like but ye nah.

We set up to score a goal and hang on to it every single week, then when we don't get the first goal we have no idea what to do about it and end up defending a 1-0 defeat.

The squad is obviously a hell of a lot more committed and determined than the collections of cunts we've had in recent seasons; but the mentality still is far from perfect. If we slip out of the top two I'll be pretty nervous.

We're the top scorers in the division for God's sake - hardly emblematic of a side who sets up to win 1-0 'every single week' is it?

We're the top scorers in the division for God's sake - hardly emblematic of a side who sets up to win 1-0 'every single week' is it?

11 of our 16 wins in the league have been by 1 or 2 goals.

We've hardly set the league alight and put teams to the sword, especially considering there is such a huge gap in quality between us and them.

There have been so many examples this season where we have scored and then quickly clearly retreated down the pitch and allowed the opposition to play football.

The most successful teams win and win well.

Lost more games than Villa ffs :lol:

We haven't lost a single game at home this season. I'm genuinely utterly f***ing perplexed as to how that is the case.

It was like when I recently found out Doris Day is still alive.

She's probably more mobile than Colback.

What I suspected is actually what we are and that is, take JonJo Shelvey out of that side and we are a bang average Championship team. If he's  off his game or missing altogether we literally have nothing at all in midfield and going forward. 4 home defeats already in a God awful league tells it's own story.

2 positives tonight. Firstly Karl Darlow, absolutely brilliant yet again. Our mom by some distance, and secondly Ashley knows he needs to spend if we're going to go back up at the first time of asking. We've sold a lot of players for big money and brought in some replacements who were far cheaper and now he needs to invest some more of that profit to make sure we get where we need to be.