Newcastle United 2 - 2 Bristol City - 25/02/17 - Post-match reaction from pg 23

Dave

Back from the game. First half performance was probably the worst I've seen from us this season, we were absolutely vile.

Second half was how we should be playing against anyone at home. Thought Ritchie and Atsu were outstanding.

Heard that so many times now it's getting boring. We've been playing shite for a good while now, these players lack confidence. It was the same last week against Villa, we were awful in the first half, then when we went 2-0 up we suddenly started passing it around like a CL side. We lack character IMO.

I think one of the reasons we play shite in the first half is because opposition teams have one player to just follow Shelvey around the pitch and stop him getting the ball, meaning Lascelles has to do a lot of carrying and passing of the ball, which he isn't very good at. The opposition player often gets tired and Shelvey gradually gets more space as the game goes on. Felt like we barely strung 3 passes together on the floor until about 60 minutes and barely won any second balls.

We really struggled with Wilbraham in the first half too

By the way this "us playing shite in the first half" has to be a load of shite.

How many games have we gone 1-0 up in the first 5minutes this season and how many games have we won?

I've got no problem with constructive criticism, but howay man...

EDIT: After a quick check it looks like approximately a third of our goals are scored in the first quarter of each game...

Credit to Bristol City, even when they were 2-0 up they didn't just sit back and try to park the bus. Mitro is so frustrating, needs to move in the summer as he has no future here. Atsu played well but as others have said his final ball was often to hard.

Was first goal not offside?  I've yet to see a reply but looked miles offside from where I sit.

I thought the same but seems to have been very close. Did you see shelvey handle the ball when we scored? Thought that evened the score with the blind lino.

Was first goal not offside?  I've yet to see a reply but looked miles offside from where I sit.

Either way, if Lascelles wants to be a premier league centre back he should be getting there and making that header. Which he could have done if he wasn't stood there with his arm in the air claiming the offside. Play to the whistle man.

Another disappointing home result and half a game wasted - this is happening far too often for a side who are backed to finish top of the league and it doesn't bode well.

Too many players in the side who are either mediocre or poor - Colback is a case in point and we continue to be lightweight up front despite Mitro's physique.

Big, big renewal job required in summer IF we go up - Play-offs looking more and more likely as we head for the final run-in and with the lack of character in this side I am not confident about the outcome should we reach that situation.