The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Guest neesy111

Btw, we were absolutely done a kipper by Allardyce with Townsend, he's started basically every game for them since then.  No chance was he available.

They do generate a ton of money they just don't spend on a par with the cities Chelsea's and Man  utds.

Until they do winning the league will be a pipe dream for them.

They spent an absolute shit-ton this summer on Xhaka, Mustafi & Perez. Their wage bill is very similar to the clubs you mention. Spending the money is really not their problem any more, it's the decision-making both behind the scenes and in the dugout.

The number of players they have going out of contract soon is frightening. Something very weird has been going on.

One summer doesn't make up for all of the summers where they didn't spend, they had to spend that sort of money last summer as they will have to this summer as this is where the bar has now been set.

Out of the 3 signings you mention only Mustafi appears not to be a mistake with the other two being questionable at best.

Clearly many things are wrong at Arsenal but I don't think it's all down to Wenger personally.

But then again everyone at Arsenal are far too scared to come out and tell the fans hey we are actually perfectly happy with getting in the champions league and actually have no intentions of spending the required funds to compete for the league.

Arsenal haven't been the same since David Dein left.

They do generate a ton of money they just don't spend on a par with the cities Chelsea's and Man  utds.

They spent an absolute shit-ton this summer on Xhaka, Mustafi & Perez. Their wage bill is very similar to the clubs you mention. Spending the money is really not their problem any more, it's the decision-making both behind the scenes and in the dugout.

The number of players they have going out of contract soon is frightening. Something very weird has been going on.

One summer doesn't make up for all of the summers where they didn't spend, they had to spend that sort of money last summer as they will have to this summer as this is where the bar has now been set.

Out of the 3 signings you mention only Mustafi appears not to be a mistake with the other two being questionable at best.

Clearly many things are wrong at Arsenal but I don't think it's all down to Wenger personally.

But then again everyone at Arsenal are far too scared to come out and tell the fans hey we are actually perfectly happy with getting in the champions league and actually have no intentions of spending the required funds to compete for the league.

Mustafi is the biggest failure out of those three IMO. Got absolutely destroyed by Benteke tonight, although being beside Gabriel doesn't help. Perez hasn't been given much of a chance and I think Xhaka would look good alongside a strong, athletic player.

It isn't as simple as spend loads of money, win the league either. I think a lot of clubs in the Premier League have abandoned real scouting to a certain extent in favour of just spending loads of money on well known or international players.

They spent an absolute s***-ton this summer on Xhaka, Mustafi & Perez. Their wage bill is very similar to the clubs you mention. Spending the money is really not their problem any more, it's the decision-making both behind the scenes and in the dugout.

Absolutely, and there is clearly trouble behind the scenes. Their youth program has had issues and (like everyone) has been overwhelmed by Man City and Chelsea buying everyone. Their choice of incoming players has been erratic. And yet, they have maintained an extremely high wage bill and a net transfer spend that is (I believe) behind only Man U & Man C. It's not all down to Wenger, but it's also not all down to not spending money.

Mustafi is the biggest failure out of those three IMO. Got absolutely destroyed by Benteke tonight, although being beside Gabriel doesn't help. Perez hasn't been given much of a chance and I think Xhaka would look good alongside a strong, athletic player.

It isn't as simple as spend loads of money, win the league either. I think a lot of clubs in the Premier League have abandoned real scouting to a certain extent in favour of just spending loads of money on well known or international players.

Mustafi has been decent for the most part especially when partnered with Koscleny.

The highest spending teams generally win like, just a couple of years ago Arsenal were battling us for the best balance sheet award look at us both now, would would of thought?

On the pitch it's definitely all down to Wenger, i mean they have bought some very good players since they started this splurge with Ozil and they are arguably worse than they were when it was 10 scrubs and Van Persie.

To me that says Wenger has declined significantly as a coach, he was taking them to the top 4 every year with a lot worse players than this. He's been past his sell by date for something like 3 seasons and it's finally catching up to him on an embarassing level.

I honestly don't think Spurs and Liverpool have some amazing players but in 2017 Pochettino and Klopp are far superior coaches to Wenger and it shows, i said this when Pardew was our manager but when everyone underperforms it's down to the coach and not the players and the signs are as clear as they were then with us.

He was an amazing manager in his day but he's clearly not good enough anymore, wouldn't be surprised if multiple players improve drastically as long as the replacement isn't some Pardew to McClaren type BS.

Wenger has bought terribly in the past 5 years.  The squad has deteriorated little by little and the only way they'll get back on-track is to change the guy responsible for transfers.

It's a shame with Wenger because I think (thought) he's brilliant but even I find him absolutely infuriating now. I can't imagine what it'd be like if you were a fan.

For years, it's been abundantly clear that Arsenal needed to improve the core of their spine. A top class CB, CM, and striker. Instead, he's only brought in a top class winger and attacking midfielder - the rest vary from average to just good.

I think he's just got lost in his philosophy - obsessed with molding a squad into title-winners rather than going out and buying the necessary quality. I'd like to believe this year is a complete wake-up call for him but I reckon this sort of failure will just entrench him into his mindset even further.

Kicking myself I didn't put serious money on tonight's result. So obvious Palace were going to win that at a canter.

Same. One of those that's so fucking obvious with hindsight. Palace were nearly 4/1 ffs.

Looks pretty average mid table to me, lets not go nuts because Arsenal are shite. They shouldn't be fighting relegation but no manager would get them top 10 or anything either.

They've a better team than West Brom IMO who are 8th

Wenger has bought terribly in the past 5 years.  The squad has deteriorated little by little and the only way they'll get back on-track is to change the guy responsible for transfers.

This is simply not true, their squad actually reached a low point about 5 years ago, after the sales of Nasri, Fabregas. The season where they were regularly fielding the likes of Andre Santos, Squillaci, Djourou, Gervinho, Chamakh etc, scraped 4th place and then culminated finally with the sale of van Persie in 2013 - the last time they sold a key player.

In the intervening 5 years, they have strengthened and improved by spending significant amounts of money. There is no doubt that the likes of Sanchez, Ozil are a level of signing above and beyond the previous years and it has resulted in 2 FA cup wins and 2nd place last season.

This season is a monumental collapse, and probably should signal the end of Wenger's time at Arsenal, but to say it's been a gradual decline over the last 5 years is not true.

Looks pretty average mid table to me, lets not go nuts because Arsenal are s****. They shouldn't be fighting relegation but no manager would get them top 10 or anything either.

They're 3 points off the top 10 with a better gd than anyone below 9th. 'No manager would get them top 10' is a bit of a stretch.