The other games today 2017/18

Greg

Woah, Rooney looks really good.

He looked poor in recent years but one thing I noticed in the highlights is that there was much more space for him to pass the ball into/move into for his goal that he'd be used to at Man Utd where teams sit deep and defend. Could be a very good move

Clubs like Stoke and West Brom just make you sick.  :lol:

Spending every season aspiring to be 17th.

At least Stoke have brought in a few genuine flair players in the last couple of seasons. West Brom are such a non-entity it's a joke.

By having absolutely no ambition to achieve anything in any cups or really win any scalps in the league, just set up defensively practise the set pieces and know incompetent teams will probably screw up more than you. Relegation rules should be changed two bottom two teams then whatever shithead team was the dullest.

Guest firetotheworks

I think they just slip under the radar because they've worked out how to play percentages and not to take risks in all of their games. So when other teams are either failing or succeeding with risks, they're playing in a manner that'll pick up points enough of the time to keep them relatively safe.

It's a sane business model etc, but I do find sometimes pundits wank themselves over them while the best fans have to hope for is grinding out a 1-0 win against a top 10 team once in a while. I mean we have even less ambition in a way (well without Rafa in the equation) as we don't even seem to want to stay stably in the premier league but anyway, wish someone would call pulis out on being boring twat and not fawn over his continued success at stinking up the league

Wtf is expected goals? Can honestly say I've never seen that stat before. I'd love to know how they work out Palace 1.06 - 0.49 Huddersfield.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/07/25/expected-goals-xg-does-show-man-city-should-win-premier-league/

What are “expected goals” (xG)?

To work out a team's “expected goals” (xG) for a match, every shot must be analysed and given an "Expected goal value" (EGV).

EGV is the probability that any given shot will end up as a goal.

As Patrick Lucey, director of data science at STATS, explains, EGV is based on a number of factors, such as where the shot was taken from, the proximity of defenders, the nature of the attack (i.e a direct free-kick or a penalty). The EGV of a shot assumes it is being taken by someone of average ability in the league, so it expects for instance that a shot from 10 yards out plum in front of goal with no defenders nearby has a high chance of ending up as a goal.

From an analysis of every shot's EGV in a match, an "expected goals" (xG) figure can be placed on each team from that match. If a team has a higher xG figure than actual goals scored, it will broadly be because of wasteful finishing or good goalkeeping, or both. Likewise if a team is scoring more than its xG then it could be down to moments of individual brilliance from an attacker or say a goalkeeping error.

What an absolute pile of wank. :mackems:

Cheers Dave. It's a load of shite but at least when we lose sometimes we'll be able to say that we should have won.

I'm a fan of expected goals but it's value depends on the nature of the game. Like other stats, it does not show game state, and many teams will not bother getting the ball forward and creating chances when already ahead. An expected goals of "0.1" is fine if you score early on with that chance and defend well enough for the remainder of the game. It doesn't mean that the other team defended well either to give up just "0.1".

In other situations though, it can be useful. If you remember the Bayern vs. Atleti CL semi, Bayern absolutely hammered them but simply didn't score. It was not a "defensive masterclass" or any of the other Atleti cliches available to pundits. Pep got a lot of flak from them for losing the tie and not winning the CL at Bayern, but the manager can only set the team up to open up the opposition. It's then on the players and the run of the ball.

Another advantage of xG is that it lets you know which strikers are on a simple hot streak where everything goes in and which ones are likely to continue scoring, i.e., by taking many shots from good positions, like Vardy during that scoring run of his. The latest candidate for "he's just on a hot streak" is Josh King. xG in the days of Pardew would have strongly suggested that our fifth place was a fluke and was unlikely to be repeat the following season. Of course, good pundits would have noticed this without stats, but we don't get good pundits these days, we get media-friendly bland ones chosen because they say nothing controversial, especially nothing non-PC, and look good in open shirts. You would never get one that looks like Jimmy Hill or Brian Moore. I've got much more faith in xG than the shallow knee-jerk punditry on MOTD.

These stats are useful for seeing which results can be expected to regress to the mean. Someone scoring a bunch of 30 yard screamers won't keep it up but someone tapping in goals every other game can be expected to keep it up. You can break it down to every facet of the game. In other sports I think it's extremely useful, in football less so because football is far too dynamic to break it down this way. A team analysis would be more useful and in that sense, goal difference has always been extremely useful in identifying teams that are getting more points than their level would suggest. Of course, there aren't enough matches for the sample size to be big enough.

I'm a fan of expected goals but it's value depends on the nature of the game. Like other stats, it does not show game state, and many teams will not bother getting the ball forward and creating chances when already ahead. An expected goals of "0.1" is fine if you score early on with that chance and defend well enough for the remainder of the game. It doesn't mean that the other team defended well either to give up just "0.1".

In other situations though, it can be useful. If you remember the Bayern vs. Atleti CL semi, Bayern absolutely hammered them but simply didn't score. It was not a "defensive masterclass" or any of the other Atleti cliches available to pundits. Pep got a lot of flak from them for losing the tie and not winning the CL at Bayern, but the manager can only set the team up to open up the opposition. It's then on the players and the run of the ball.

Another advantage of xG is that it lets you know which strikers are on a simple hot streak where everything goes in and which ones are likely to continue scoring, i.e., by taking many shots from good positions, like Vardy during that scoring run of his. The latest candidate for "he's just on a hot streak" is Josh King. xG in the days of Pardew would have strongly suggested that our fifth place was a fluke and was unlikely to be repeat the following season. Of course, good pundits would have noticed this without stats, but we don't get good pundits these days, we get media-friendly bland ones chosen because they say nothing controversial, especially nothing non-PC, and look good in open shirts. You would never get one that looks like Jimmy Hill or Brian Moore. I've got much more faith in xG than the shallow knee-jerk punditry on MOTD.

Noice :thup:

Put it better than I could have :thup: People who don't understand it will call it shit but it's quite interesting IMO. The first time I had heard about it was actually that Bayern-Atletico game as well

Bayern vs Atletico is actually a great example, that was probably the best Bayern played under Guardiola.

Also reminds me of one of the Chelsea vs Barca games were everyone was claiming defensive masterclass but all it really was Barca missing chances all night long.

Most of the time that's case with dominant in possession teams vs "Park the bus"  teams, the only time I really remember something were the defensive team limited them to actually not much chances was probably Inter vs Barca.

Fletcher - a leader, an experienced PL footballer. For a season or two i think he'd be a good signing. Don't watch a lot of him but he seemed to play well when I did.

Before he got aids he was a good footballer at Man U, looked ok after recovering as well. Good player for low money