Pre-Season 2018/19: Newcastle United 0 - 1 FC Augsburg (FT)

ponsaelius

I'd be massively disappointed with anything less than a top ten finish, but not so much with Rafa and the team but the owner and the board. In Rafa, with our support and TV money etc. they are literally sitting on top of a big pot of gold and shitting in it at current. Contrast that to when we went up under KK in '93. We are coming for your title Man Utd...

Unless I'm wrong, there is no TV money until next year and sadly our support doesn't offer us anything in the way of financial leverage.

Obviously the fat c*** could just show some balls and give Rafa 50m. He's a gambling man and it's a no brainer.

50m would probably make us a decently solid mid table team at least, for sure.

Even if he loaned Rafas budget 50m this year and took 10m off for the next 5 years. It would make total sense to invest properly now. 10m would be nothing when we are getting 100m TV money every season.

Can any of you tell me how much difference in prize money we would get from finishing 8th as opposed to 17th?

Last time I looked it was about £500k extra per place. So 17th to 8th would be circa £4m extra prize money.

Might be different under the new deal, but previously being on TV more often was much more lucrative IIRC.

Ashley would just look at that and think why spend £50m to only get £4m extra back. That's the gamble he takes. Not the gamble you'd like him to take sadly.

Edit: point still stands at £20m+... in fact £49m :lol:

Depending on when we get the overseas TV money it seems quite possible that we've only received the £38m so far.  We've spent, what? £31m?  Entirely possible in that case that we really don't have much left in the bank to spend.

Watching today it's clear a decent attacking midfielder and striker would lift is a few levels. We can create chances and have decent passing players with good pace on wings but need that link up man and a alternative to Gayle if we don't want a relegation battle.

I think we look a lot more balanced than the last time we were up and certainly stronger on wings and in defence, we are a lot more physical and actually have height within the team compared to our previous midfield and centre halves.

I would love a left back as well, because Dummet is looking shocking

In terms of the benefit of finishing higher Southampton got 24.7m last season for the position of 8th, Watford got 7.6m for 17th. Looks like its 1.9m extra per position solely.

The higher up you finish, the better you're doing and the more the team tends to appear on tv also though which adds to it.

Watching today it's clear a decent attacking midfielder and striker would lift is a few levels. We can create chances and have decent passing players with good pace on wings but need that link up man and a alternative to Gayle if we don't want a relegation battle.

I think we look a lot more balanced than the last time we were up and certainly stronger on wings and in defence, we are a lot more physical and actually have height within the team compared to our previous midfield and centre halves.

I would love a left back as well, because Dummet is looking shocking

This 100%

The guaranteed TV money is spread over the season, you get a monthly payment for it.

So actual cash we've received so far, is not too high.

So that'd be about £8.5m a month?  According to transferleague we've got a net spend of £16.7m but that doesn't include Thauvin so that'd bring the net spend down to about £7m which kind of fits.

If that's the model we're working under then you'd expect we should have a decent little sum for the January transfer window.  Fuck knows with this lot though.

In terms of the benefit of finishing higher Southampton got 24.7m last season for the position of 8th, Watford got 7.6m for 17th. Looks like its 1.9m extra per position solely.

The higher up you finish, the better you're doing and the more the team tends to appear on tv also though which adds to it.

It's just not enough as I said above for Ashley to care about. Also the TV rule doesn't apply as we are the exception to the rule as Sky etc love to have NUFC on as they are guaranteed a crowd home & away and hopefully a decent atmosphere to go along with it.

The guaranteed TV money is spread over the season, you get a monthly payment for it.

So that'd be about £8.5m a month?  According to transferleague we've got a net spend of £16.7m but that doesn't include Thauvin so that'd bring the net spend down to about £7m which kind of fits.

If that's the model we're working under then you'd expect we should have a decent little sum for the January transfer window.  Fuck knows with this lot though.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's worth having a read of this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Not saying you're wrong, but it's worth having a read of this: https://www.theguardian.com/football/the-set-pieces-blog/2016/aug/24/transfer-window-market-myths

Cheers :thup:

So we haven't got a clue, basically :lol:

Benitez himself has said:

"In January we didn’t sign players but we had £30m ready for the future, so now we are in a situation where we are going slowly but I still have confidence that everything will be fine after my meeting with Mike."

We've spent 25.2m on Lejeune, Murphy & Manquillo & then made about 8m on Gibson & Murphy.

Plus 9.5 for Thauvin.

Just watching the highlights and that was a great ball by Manquillo to Shelvey and a lovely run and assist by Shelvey.

Was trying to see myself, are you sure it's not Ritchie?

Benitez himself has said:

"In January we didn’t sign players but we had £30m ready for the future, so now we are in a situation where we are going slowly but I still have confidence that everything will be fine after my meeting with Mike."

We've spent 25.2m on Lejeune, Murphy & Manquillo & then made about 8m on Gibson & Murphy.

Plus 9.5 for Thauvin.

Plus we spent £6.2m for Atsu

Sorry if lazy, but who started as our #10 against Mainz? I was in Belgium so I didn't see/follow the game. We really don't have one single player that I really want in that position really, at least not yet. Shelvey looks like he's fit but I'm not sure he's dynamic enough to play there and give Gayle support and he's usually a bit better spraying the ball around from a little bit deeper than in the #10 territory. Also, even if he's fit and has the stamina he's not any good defensively. I guess our last friendly will tell who's the best bet for a start against Spurs (providing this player does well). Maybe Shelvey could play a bit ahead of Merino and Hayden after all? I just don't think it would be perfect either. God, if there's one player we need then it's a #10 or one that do this role as well as playing instead of Gayle. Wont be for Spurs though..

So Benitez is using the friendly against Verona to put his team up against the ultimate test: a team managed by a former employee who will know exactly how ours will be set up and do his best to test our tactical shape. Rafa will hopefully learn a lot more about his players from this game than the rest of pre-season put together.