Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

MOTM today for me. Can't quite believe he looked so good at RB, he continues to exceed expectations across the board :lol:  Most impressive of all is how much his decision making has improved - lightyears ahead of his output a couple of years ago. 

Given the talent we have at the moment, madness he is fast becoming my favourite player. Had a long debate with my daughter today about the name she might have on shirt for the season - Murphy was in the top 3.

Obviously pushing it for the letter count. And holding back that Bruno has a surname.

Other one was "Burn". 

Long gone are the days where an Old Trafford goal led me to investing in "Papavasileiou".

8 minutes ago, bealios said:

Given the talent we have at the moment, madness he is fast becoming my favourite player. Had a long debate with my daughter today about the name she might have on shirt for the season - Murphy was in the top 3.

Obviously pushing it for the letter count. And holding back that Bruno has a surname.

Other one was "Burn". 

Long gone are the days where an Old Trafford goal led me to investing in "Papavasileiou".

I was all set to get 7 Lee on my 95 long sleeved home top until I got to the club shop and it was any name and number for a fiver.

and so my unwavering support for Gillespie and a lifetime of wearing number 18 were born

a year or so ago I thought he’d be the first out the door. Chuffed for the lad, he’s never stopped trying now hitting what was always his potential, turned himself into one of the first names on the team sheet 

1 minute ago, dave s said:

a year or so ago I thought he’d be the first out the door. Chuffed for the lad, he’s never stopped trying now hitting what was always his potential, turned himself into one of the first names on the team sheet 

:lol:

2 minutes ago, madras said:

To be fair "team sheet" now is squad.

Exactly. 2 years ago he was likely to go out on loan or be sold. Now he’s in with a shout to start or defo come on as sub. Quite a turnaround 

12 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Rafa knew.

Rafa always used to drop him after he had a good game. Recall he set up Rondon away at Everton for a goal midweek and wasn't even selected for the bench at the weekend despite being fit.

Was a period around New Year that same season where he set up Perez for the winner at Stoke and had another good game either before or after, and once again was dropped and did unused sub duty for weeks on end.

Rafa may have spotted there was a player in there but his usage of him was absolutely horrid. 

17 minutes ago, Pilko said:

Rafa always used to drop him after he had a good game. Recall he set up Rondon away at Everton for a goal midweek and wasn't even selected for the bench at the weekend despite being fit.

Was a period around New Year that same season where he set up Perez for the winner at Stoke and had another good game either before or after, and once again was dropped and did unused sub duty for weeks on end.

Rafa may have spotted there was a player in there but his usage of him was absolutely horrid. 

I really don't think Rafa could have created this Murphy.

Edited by madras

Come on leaps and bounds, he looks right on it in terms of fitness as he did last season too.

He’ll start a fair share of games but will mostly be a sub this year if we’re picking off strongest team “on paper”

2 hours ago, Pilko said:

Rafa is great at conveying tactical concepts but I don’t know if I’ve seen evidence of him building someone’s confidence. I think he inspires through his ideas and just assumes elite sports people have the mentality or they don’t. Eddie doesn’t seem that way. Whenever I’ve been frustrated with Murphy it’s because he’s lacked confidence or conviction.

I think Murphy has always had the tools (pace and a good strike on him) but he was never a LWF which is where he's always played pre Howe. We understand inside forwards better now and understand why he might be able to hurt the opposition from that side of the pitch, however some players just look better on their natural side and if anything he still maintains a goal threat from the right side of the pitch whilst also giving us a bit width whether that's RWF or right fullback/wingback. 

When we had that disastrous start against Liverpool at home he actually went to right fullback at 10 men and played really well which he probably didn't get the recognition at the time. 

He's going to be a very useful and versatile squad player for us this season