Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Giving players like Diame, Joselu, Perez and Murphy runs of games is why we've been struggling. Having 3/4 passengers in our front 6 is why we have been struggling for goals.

Rafa needs to work out his best team and just stick with it. Nothing players like Murphy aren't worth risking games over. That transfer fee can just be written off.

Guest Howaythetoon

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, but players like Murphy and indeed Atsu will always struggle to perform if they play in fits in starts, especially as wingers or wide players. With Murphy he has enough qualities at this level (for us anyway) and if he had a run in the team like Ritchie has I dare see we would be seeing those qualities much more often and would benefit from that over what Ritchie gives us.

It seems like his only path to regular first-team football will come from a long-term injury to someone, however, because even when he has come on and did something good, he’s either been dropped altogether or back on the bench.

I’m convinced he was more of an Ashley buy which Rafa was happy with as one of the future thinking he’d be getting enough money to strengthen with first-team players, that obviously never happened. If he could spend that 12m again I guarantee someone like Murphy wouldn’t be on any list of his.

I like him though and think he has someone about him and would like to see him replace Ritchie who is a safer pick in the team because he works hard, is disciplined defensively and knows Rafa’s tactics inside out to stick to them. He’s played a key role in the team, but we need more going forward and Murphy in time can easily become as hard working, displined and tactically switched on.

I’d far rather we bring on Ritchie in place of Murphy late on to see out games instead of relying on a young player with zero form or confidence to produce some magic in a limited time because others starting haven’t or we suddenly need some as we trail a lead needing a goal to get back into the game or need a goal to win a game.

That goal he scored against Man City highlighted what he can do and unless he gets a run of games it’s far too simplistic to just say he’s not good enough and never will be, not when we rely on a Ritchie to be good enough who we know isn’t good enough.

Working hard, being displined and tactically switched on are not qualities that should be put above footballing skills, they are things a good coach can instill in any player. Ritchie is one paced, can’t dribble and when not a threat from set play, is hardly a threat in the formal 3rd or to his full-back apoonent, Yedlin is much more of a threat and he plays behind him.

Is his position normally left or right? If left then he has no chance against Kenedy.

Unless Kenedy moves to the 10 spot. He's all over the pitch as a left winger, and I think he could do that job. It would mean Dummett losing the invaluable protection he offers, like.

Player with low awareness, poor touch,  the distancing of the ball in his runs is a huge suspect as he often loses in duels.

His shots and attacking positioning seems slightly better than average.

However there is so much to refine as a player before he can lace Ritchie boots.

I dont seem him being part of the future plans unless Rafa works incredible magic on Jacob, his general impact in games are just very low due to his inability to retain ball like Kenedy, work hard like Ritchie , or make space like Perez.

Player with low awareness, poor touch,  the distancing of the ball in his runs is a huge suspect as he often loses in duels.

His shots and attacking positioning seems slightly better than average.

However there is so much to refine as a player before he can lace Ritchie boots.

I dont seem him being part of the future plans unless Rafa works incredible magic on Jacob, his general impact in games are just very low due to his inability to retain ball like Kenedy, work hard like Ritchie , or make space like Perez.

I just don't get why we paid £12m for him. He's weak as piss, devoid of skill and has a very poor footballing brain. Even if Rafa worked wonders with him, at best he'd be a Perez-esque player and be anonymous in games.

As limited as Ritchie is, Murphy is nowhere near the team. He probably needs to drop a division or two to build himself back up.

What's the longest run of starts he's had with us? I don't think it's fair to judge him based on the few minutes here and there, although it's worrying that Rafa thinks Atsu is a better option.

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent run and assist, doesn't cancel out his 1 and a half seasons of nothing performances like, but it bodes well.

He's clearly got the tools to hurt any team, just needs some confidence at this level. Young lad who might develop under a good manager?

Guest neesy111

Excellent run and assist, doesn't cancel out his 1 and a half seasons of nothing performances like, but it bodes well.

Guessing you forgot the January he had this year.

He'll be rewarded by being dropped for Ritchie to do nothing.

Aye, he's fucking clueless that Rafa.

When it comes to Murphy I'd say his handling of him has been pretty bad.

Seems like he's not exposing him to too much pressure IMO. If Murphy was taking his chances he'd probably be starting more.

Why? He's not good enough.

He's always dropped when he plays well. That's shite handling of any player. The way he was just dropped from the squad last January after being our biggest threat was ridiculous. The two times he's had strings of games he's looked good, so instead we play him odd game here, odd game there. Despite others getting plenty of opportunities and doing nothing with them.

He's always dropped when he plays well. That's shite handling of any player. The way he was just dropped from the squad last January after being our biggest threat was ridiculous. The two times he's had strings of games he's looked good, so instead we play him odd game here, odd game there. Despite others getting plenty of opportunities and doing nothing with them.

Wrong. Literally since I hit reply he has fucked up twice.

Guest neesy111

Aye, he's f***ing clueless that Rafa.

He's always dropped when he plays well. That's s**** handling of any player. The way he was just dropped from the squad last January after being our biggest threat was ridiculous. The two times he's had strings of games he's looked good, so instead we play him odd game here, odd game there. Despite others getting plenty of opportunities and doing nothing with them.

Wrong. Literally since I hit reply he has f***ed up twice.

Player making mistake shocker.  Sell them all.