Jacob Murphy

Guest palnese

Guest reefatoon

Our forward players might be getting sick of running backwards more than going forward. Must be frustrating spending most your game in your own half.

Guest alijmitchell

It just hasn't worked out for him tbh. You can see he is talented, but with the club as it is, the pressure of playing here, the scrutiny, and the fact that he is one of our most expensive recent signings, he doesn't seem to have the mental strength to handle it. He's a busted flush here, and we should try and sell him if there was ever a chance of a replacement

Guest covmag

i can understand these kids frustration at not getting a chance but fuck me, like yesterday i'd be busting a gut to show the boss what i could do, this kid didnt want to know.

bloody shame and im convinced we signed the wrong Murphy brother. :lol: :embarrassed:

Guest Howaythetoon

I see the boo boys are out in force again...

If we are too see anything good in him at all he has to have a long run in the team, starting every 5 or so games or coming on for a few minutes here or there off the bench is impossible for him to show that given his age, experience and position.

He’s one of a handful of players we have who for me can stretch teams, can carry the ball, has pace, can do something a bit different and can finish when given the opportunity. I’d start him wide left over Ritchie or wide left if Kennedy is out of sorts as he seems and give him a good run of games.

My own feelings are that he was someone Rafa didn’t really want as such, but agreed to his signing as one for the future in the belief that signing him wasn’t going to effect his ability to bring in quality players for the first-team as well. That never happened of course...

From what I can gather he is a good trainer and a good lad off the pitch though. Maybe Rafa just doesn’t rate him or as I suspect trust him nough to start off the ball and defensively. If so, given how he has to set us up and how important that side of the game is to our chances of survival, maybe that’s for the best. Who am I to argue with Rafa or question his knowledge?!

He’s not a great player and never will be of course, but he has better attacking attributes on the ball and in certain areas than both Ritchie and Atsu who thus far have shown they are bang average or poor and yet they keep starting regularly or get much more game time than Murphy does. I’d take a chance on Murphy personally!

Ritchie or Atsu couldn’t score the kind of goal Murphy did against Man City nor give us that kind of attacking outlet or threat in the final 3rd on the ball or late on when the game is stretched even though Atsu does have pace.

I feel for him me I really do (as with many of our players) and find any criticism of him unfair and any expectation to perform some kind of magic in a one off cameo which is what any rare start amounts to, delusional.

Ideally he should have been the kind of signing for the future where there is less pressure on him to suddenly flick a switch and light the place up from a rare start or coming off the bench, or someone we could loan out.

As a signing, 12m or whatever it is, he looks a waste of money, but I won’t blame Rafa for that nor the player, because I’m certain he was signed based on the old policy Ashley and Carr had implemented which Rafa agreed to. I’m sure he would have rather been able to add that money towards what little he had to spend on the first-team though which is something I don’t think, since promotion, he’s been able to do.

Every player we’ve signed except for the ‘keeper has been spent on players that serve more of a purpose as a squad player or competition for first-team spots rather than players who will automatically go straight into the first team as first names on the team sheet. Those that have been signed for the first-team have come on loan in the ‘keeper (initially), Kenedy, Slimani and Rondon.

That’s what Rafa is working with and even then none of them are exactly quality. Dubravka has since shown he is of course, but we got lucky on that one and that’s what we are down to with everyone we sign, hoping we get lucky or they turn out decent.

Poor Rafa!

Guest covmag

HTT when did you last see Murphy play well?

Rafa is the expert and doesn’t pick him, why? He is just not very good, simple.

Guest Howaythetoon

Can’t exactly recall, but that’s kind of my point. It’s stupid to expect him to perform in a single one off start given his position as a winger and his lack of experience. He needs a run in the team and then we can judge him more fairly.

I agree he’s just not very good, but I could say that about 90% of our players, most of whom have had a good run in the side or have got more game time and for a number of them like Ritchie for example have given us very little on the ball in attack. I’d like to see Murphy come in to replace Ritchie and giving a run of games to see if he can do better. He has the attributes for sure, more than Ritchie anyway.

To expect he gives us something extra or more from the odd single start or cameo from the bench whenever that opportunity arises is unfair and so is any criticism when he doesn’t because it’s to be expected if that’s all he’s getting.

Now, it’s almost like he has to perform so well just to get a better look in, although the few times he has, he’s been dropped the following game...

Overall, he’s just another player this club has signed for relative pennies who isn’t good enough and Rafa is having to decide between one piece of turd over another as to who can do better off the ball and defensively in order to keep the team in the game long enough to try and nick a goal that enables us to draw a game or win it or more often than not to make sure that goals against column doesn’t grow too big.

All to stay up by hook or crook.

Murphy doesn't need a run of games to prove himself. He needs to play in the championship. That's his level. Simple as that.

Sell him to a championship team(must be a few that would want him) for say £8M and use the money for someone better.

Guest covmag

Can’t exactly recall, but that’s kind of my point. It’s stupid to expect him to perform in a single one off start given his position as a winger and his lack of experience. He needs a run in the team and then we can judge him more fairly.

I agree he’s just not very good, but I could say that about 90% of our players, most of whom have had a good run in the side or have got more game time and for a number of them like Ritchie for example have given us very little on the ball in attack. I’d like to see Murphy come in to replace Ritchie and giving a run of games to see if he can do better. He has the attributes for sure, more than Ritchie anyway.

To expect he gives us something extra or more from the odd single start or cameo from the bench whenever that opportunity arises is unfair and so is any criticism when he doesn’t because it’s to be expected if that’s all he’s getting.

Now, it’s almost like he has to perform so well just to get a better look in, although the few times he has, he’s been dropped the following game...

Overall, he’s just another player this club has signed for relative pennies who isn’t good enough and Rafa is having to decide between one piece of turd over another as to who can do better off the ball and defensively in order to keep the team in the game long enough to try and nick a goal that enables us to draw a game or win it or more often than not to make sure that goals against column doesn’t grow too big.

But his attitude comes over as going through the motions, he has had chances but never looked arsed, including yesterday

Guest Howaythetoon

Murphy doesn't need a run of games to prove himself. He needs to play in the championship. That's his level. Simple as that.

Sell him to a championship team(must be a few that would want him) for say £8M and use the money for someone better.

That’s our level as a team. Individually we have a good number of players who are good enough to play in th PL albeit at the lower end of the scale, but when pitted alongside each other collectively, the team as such us not good enough even at the lower end of the scale.

I didn’t watch the Blackburn game, but noted the starting 11 and that 11 is more their level as an 11 collectively if not individually with some players than we are the level of a PL team, our first-team isn’t much better.

Me, I’d just like to see Murphy get a run of games because all we are getting out of Ritchie despite his goal yesterday, is huff and puff on and off the ball. Murphy has pace, he can dribble, he can carry the ball and he can finish, I’m not saying he’s great in any of those areas, but pace alone will give us something we don’t have in say Ritchie out wide.

That and I think it’s time to change things around because let’s face it we won’t be doing that by bringing in some new players and although I consider Ki bang average, he improved our midfield on the ball when he came into the side and hit a run of games.

Either way, I find any criticism of Murphy unfair. Fair enough if he was a lazy soft shite, but from what’ve I’ve seen of him that’s nit been the case and while he’s not showed a lot of quality when he has played, he’s not exactly had enough opportunities to show any qualities.

For what it’s worth, I find it hard to be critical of any of our players really who simply just aren’t good enough. Joselu for example is one of the worst players I’ve seen for us, he’s awful and I think he would struggle even in the Championship, how he was on the books of Reak Madrid I don’t know.

But what do you expect from such a player? I can be critical of his finishing in the moment, but I don’t expect any better. The phrase he should do better is common in the PL, but we are not talking about an Alan Shearer here or even a Mitrovic who we paid 13m for or whatever.

In the Championship perhaps, but not in the PL.

What I do expect and am very hard on and critical about is for NUFC to buy players of much better quality than a Joselu and if we do buy a Murphy, not for him to be one of our most pensive players not just under Rafa but of all time who because of tha and because of how poor we are when he does start a rare game he has to produce some magic. He’s a kid from the Championship who had a good season at that level. Again what do people expect?

If we go down, these players get a pass and so does the manager. As things stand they’ve done an amazing job winning promotion, finishing 10th and having the club above the relegation spots by a few points. Staying up would indeed be a miracle.

Talking of the boo boys and players unfairly questioned... Perez. Now I think he’s average too and he frustrates the hell out of me, but he cost 1.5m and plucked from the equiverlent of Spain’s Championship and since he joined he’s been arguably our most consistent finisher over that time, hardest working player, most committed, shown the most talent consistently and been for me, our best player.

Again what do people expect here?

A few misplaced passes or a shot wide and BOOOOOOO!

Ashley meanwhile, gets a few nods and handshakes when he takes his seat!

Guest Howaythetoon

But his attitude comes over as going through the motions, he has had chances but never looked arsed, including yesterday

I’m not defending him, but it’s hard to be pumped up and primed to perform at any standard when you’re starting for the first time in a number of games or coming on from the bench after 70 minutes or so.

Players get their energy from confidence and momentum which goes hand in hand. I’m not surprised he has no spring in his step and looks like he’s going through the motions. That’s the kind of malaise that courses through this entire club at every level, none more so than on the stands.

Of course, ultimately he’s not good enough, 90% of them aren’t and we have to accept that and be a bit more understanding of players like Murphy or more understanding of the factors behind his poor performances or lack of quality.

Ah fuck it, why do I care ha ha :lol:

The whole 'He needs a run of games' argument is massively flawed in my eyes - If he'd shown anything at all in the sub and rare starts he'd been given I'd be inclined to agree but he's shown next to nothing and it's not like he's an 18 year old kid who has just signed... he's 23 and been here 18 months and looks nowhere near good enough or ready to be a consistent performer.

I really wanted it to work out for him here with it being his boyhood club and maybe that's related to his performances, possibly putting too much pressure and expectation on himself but he just seems like a rabbit caught in the headlights... whatever it is it's plain to see he's not good enough to make an impact for us this season.

Well he has shown things, the great assist at Stoke, the wonderful goal at Man City, the assist at Everton. Want to see more from him, clearly he has talent but is very low on confidence right now.